The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

9 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

anyone have any idea who the guy in Tyson's crew was with the white t-shirt and painted face?

Darby Allin with stilts and a fried chicken diet.

Weird show, the thing I liked the most might have been the opening match actually, Britt's promo a close second. Also, go on Jungleboy!

13 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Shit I actually forgot about FTR. Guess being lumped with Butcher and Blade will have that effect.

On those scrubs has The Bunny gimmick been ditched?

Guess so. Wasn't it Allie flirting with QT Marshall at ringside all night?

2 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Do adults actually buy these shirts?

AEW have a fair few decent designs that aren’t embarrassing for adults to wear. They have a few comedy designs that appeal to me as much as tops that say “if found please return to the pub” but overall there is more good than bad.

They are always quick to release designs as soon as possible. I woke up at 7am this morning to see the new FTR design advertised on Instagram. They don’t fuck about. 

5 hours ago, mrtrickio said:

Guess so. Wasn't it Allie flirting with QT Marshall at ringside all night?

Yeah she was also eyeing him up during Dark much to the annoyance of Brandi and Dustin. QT was acting like a total geek.

Obviously one of those it was a setup all along storylines but it'll be interesting if she's setting QT up on behalf of Butcher and Blade or someone else.

6 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

They are always quick to release designs as soon as possible. I woke up at 7am this morning to see the new FTR design advertised on Instagram. They don’t fuck about. 

That's crazy. Maybe they received a tip off that they were going to turn up or something. 

11 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I'm sure one of the announcers said Best Friends face the winners of next weeks match at Fyter Fest.

@Mr Butternut Squash Your post just reminded me that during the battle royale JR called Sonny Kiss 'she'. 

This might have been an example of JR being more progressive than you’d think. Sonny doesn’t mind being referred to as she.

Edited by RedRooster

11 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Do adults actually buy these shirts?

Some of them look more like band shirts so I don’t mind those, plus I look pretty sexy regardless so I wear whatever takes my fancy.

Though the actual point of my post was that in storyline the Inner Circle boys over ordered on their Stampede Champs shirt because of course they expected to win but now that have a shit load of shirts that they need rid of. So having them 50% off on the store is a nice little detail IMO.

• Paid Members

I didn't think that main event segment was as bad as I'd read. The Inner Circle stuff would have been way better in front of a crowd but it was OK. Jake Hager was a riot. Jericho referencing his previous with Tyson was subtle. Of course if he'd explained it, they'd have got more stick for referencing WWE, while being subtle gets them stick for referencing an angle no-one remembers. So no winning here. The actual angle wasn't badly done either. I'd agree with previous points made though that it was too close to the Tyson/McMahon/Austin angle from '98 so it looked like a rip off and I've also had my fill of massive pull apart brawls. WWE only did another terrible one on Monday. Didn't need another one by Wednesday.

I'm not sure what the goal is here. If it's a Jericho/Tyson match then that's a pretty big deal. If not, I think I'd have not bothered, even for a bit of pub and some YT clicks.

Watched the full show last night, and yeah, it was a definite comedown from the high of the PPV. I get that it makes sense for the follow-up shows to be a cool-off, setting up the next set of angles and matches, but this did seem thrown-together and low-energy.

You cannot have staredowns in lockdown shows if you don't have commentators talking and hyping over it to cover the dead air. Bucks/FTR, Mox/Cage and Tyson/Jericho all had moments that were left feeling awkward because the guys on the desk went quiet, either having nothing prepared to say or waiting for one of the others to chime in.

Opener was fine for the most part. Hardy's version switching could have done with snappier cutting. I didn't recognise his attire - it looked more like his Smackdown AJ Styles-like gear before he headed to Impact. The image of early Matt that springs to mind is his home photos with neon tights and massive ski shades, which would have been fun if he'd gone for that and come face-to-face with Janela. If Isaiah Casidy really did get lost when Marq Quen got injured, then I'm disappointed vets like the Bucks and Hardy couldn't pick up the slack, but as an ad hoc face vs face trios match, there wasn't any clear structure to fall back on, I suppose.

As I said before, I love the Butcher and Blade's new look. As long as Butcher keeps the monocle for his wrestling, that'll be grand. I hope we get to play "spot the retro T" in Butcher's background appearances. He looked boss in his aviators and "Damn I'm Good" Ole tee on Twitter.

FTR (love how they've taken back control of that acronym) need to make that truck their entrance. With a theme and with a live crowd, they'll look the business. I can see them being good foil for most of AEW's tag division, although I'll be interested to see how their mauling style works as the faces they'll inevitably start off as.

A solid squash for Cage, but nothing that tells me much about him. Compare this pairing to Jake and Archer when they first arrived, and within a week, there was a reason for them to be together, a clear goal in mind, intrigue and tension. I don't know if there's been anything happening on Dark, but all I've seen from Tazz is some commentary spots, two Technique with Tazz vignettes, and him getting in a grump because Darby brushed off his stuttering attempt at advice. I don't know why he's got it in for Moxley, why he picked Cage, or who Cage even is. At the moment, it's very much a "hey! You recognise these guys, right?" Tazz fluffed his lines AGAIN. If he's going to attempt to pass his catchphrase to Cage, I can't wait for Cage to start threatening to "set the pigeons loose".

Cody cut a decent promo, but his insistence that he's just the same as anyone else on the roster, and, in this case, that he wasn't high on the list of people Tony Khan "called" comes across as disingenuous to me considering everyone knows him and the Bucks were the driving forces behind AEW, and he is still an EVP. As far as I am concerned, Cody will always be the AEW establishment, so I think he should avoid referencing how "hard" he's had it and focus on proving himself to the naysayers who doubt his ability. Maybe that's me misinterpreting the content based on my smark knowledge.

A lot of filler matches in general. The only pretapes I recall seeing, even less than 24 hours later, were minute-long recaps or picture-in-picture highlights from the PPV. It might have only been three days since the PPV, but being on lockdown with physical distancing restrictions, I'd've hoped they'd be in the routine of keying up lengthier video spots to break up the shows and fill in the runtime without needing to gather everyone together. It felt like a show where they were throwing everyone out there to have matches because they had no content ready. I'm also failing to see the benefit of binning off weeks of recorded material in favour of going live.

Main event angle was a letdown. They could've done so much more with the after-effects of the Stampede than just Ortiz being deaf and Sammy carrying a crutch around that he clearly didn't need. Instead, we got prop comedy flattened by the dead crowd. And yes, I agree with the previous posters that legit fighters really seem to struggle with the angle side of things, chatting over everything and burying any potentially cool moments. I also think Tyson has the Bruce Willis problem of going bald early and therefore looking similar to his youthful self many years later. He looks great in sparring videos and standing there posing, but as soon as he walks and moves, you can see his aged flat-footedness and dewy eyes. I'd be amazed if this was building to a match, even a worked boxing match, and if it was, then I really hope Jericho can hold it together.

Not great.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

FTR (love how they've taken back control of that acronym) need to make that truck their entrance. With a theme and with a live crowd, they'll look the business. I can see them being good foil for most of AEW's tag division, although I'll be interested to see how their mauling style works as the faces they'll inevitably start off as.

It's amazing what a difference it made to have them actually driving in, rather than showing them parked up, then moving the car carefully forward.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:44 AM, CavemanLynn said:

A solid squash for Cage, but nothing that tells me much about him. Compare this pairing to Jake and Archer when they first arrived, and within a week, there was a reason for them to be together, a clear goal in mind, intrigue and tension. I don't know if there's been anything happening on Dark, but all I've seen from Tazz is some commentary spots, two Technique with Tazz vignettes, and him getting in a grump because Darby brushed off his stuttering attempt at advice. I don't know why he's got it in for Moxley, why he picked Cage, or who Cage even is. At the moment, it's very much a "hey! You recognise these guys, right?" Tazz fluffed his lines AGAIN. If he's going to attempt to pass his catchphrase to Cage, I can't wait for Cage to start threatening to "set the pigeons loose".

He doesn’t have to ‘have it in’ for Moxley. Cage has a title shot and Taz (or is it Tazz? Which spelling are they going with?) was stating intent.

Taz mashing his words a bit didn’t really bother me. It was still a solid promo. I did expect him to go after Darby or explain their relationship a bit better though, it feels like there are a number of loose threads that they need to tie up.

Edited by RedRooster