The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Surely it would make more sense for the prize to be lowered as soon as the last entrant comes in.

I like the idea that it can finish early, but it depends on it actually doing so at some point. They only need to do that once to establish it. Because otherwise, you're in the position of 'well, why bother assuming anything matters until everyone is in?'.

Basically, they're trying to make sure there's a gambling theme. Which I don't think is inherently bad. I'd like to see the risk/reward thing more clearly established though. Maybe set it up in future by having people draw lots to pick their entry spots - winner gets to choose, and each person gets to choose from what's left. That way, you talk about that strategy and build it up.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Surely it would make more sense for the prize to be lowered as soon as the last entrant comes in.

Then you've got the question of what the point of everything else is. What are they fighting for? It's like Wargames matches. When they build a blood feud, the fight in the cage makes total sense. It's just carnage. But when they just have a Wargames match with no stakes, they're just fucking about until the match beyond starts. Like that ludicrous one where it was every man for himself. What was the point?

• Paid Members

Could the prize not be stated at a height where you'd need to be on a bigger ladder but then dropped a level each time until its at the regular ladder height perhaps then? 

More reward for being in earlier on and risking it all, still a chance to win if you're able to climb the highest. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Could the prize not be stated at a height where you'd need to be on a bigger ladder but then dropped a level each time until its at the regular ladder height perhaps then? 

More reward for being in earlier on and risking it all, still a chance to win if you're able to climb the highest. 

I'm not sure the way to make it feel less TNA would be to add more stuff to it. 

Really lacked horny dogs humping and shitting around the ring. Just keep them away from JR and the ring bell hammer 

• Paid Members
On 6/1/2020 at 2:35 PM, Liam O'Rourke said:

Better late than never - SCG Radio returns this week to cover AEW Double or Nothing 2020! Join us for a show recorded the day after the event as we run through the PPV, talk all about the builds, the Stadium Stampede match, Matt Hardy in AEW, a spirited discussion on cinematic wrestling, AEW in its current form, the current state of the commentary team, the successes and failures of the past three months in AEW, and a look ahead at what might be to come. A very fun show this week as we get back on the saddle, check it out and let us know what you think!

https://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/cpmbe2/SCGRadio159AEWDoubleorNothing2020.mp3

Really enjoyed the show. Found myself agreeing with almost everything Keiran and Liam said so I was always going to. Thought it was a very fair review. Last bit wasn't a complete review of AEW's first year but probably enough to make a full show on it unnecessary.

Agree very much with the point that AEW is worth thinking about, worth fantasy booking and worth projecting what they're doing  down the road because there is progression in characters and stories and they are constantly being creative with what they're doing. The "Vince is my real Dad" crowd will cry about it but it's true. They're just so much more interesting. Even if they crash and burn or do go full-TNA, that will still be far more interesting than Groundhog Mondays.

Edited by tiger_rick

The talk of cinematic wrestling leading up to Liam's opinion on Stadium Stampede was brilliant.

I also disliked the positive reaction overall towards the Boneyard and Firehouse 'matches," even more so when I realised what it meant moving forward. WWE will now be doing this forevermore (there's been a couple of cinematic matches since and there will be more at NXTTOIYH and Backlash)

My hope is AEW don't go the same route and to be honest the Stadium Stampede was shot with live cameras for the most part, so it didn't look that cinematic, and it was like the Backyard Brawl or King of the Road match in terms of ridiculousness, but I also love going back to re-watch those.

Again WWE's overproduction just puts me off.

Cody/Jungle Boy was as good as I was hoping for. They've got something really good with Jack if they invest in him going forward. He's one of those that should really work his way through the ranks and build up support. They need some home grown main eventers, which obviously takes time but they need to consider that.

I'm a real sucker for open challenge stuff anyway. I loved Cena's one, where he just decided to have crazy competitive matches. Obviously it's a fine line because you don't want your champ to look too weak by not being able to defeat these guys very easily, but I think Cody will understand that.

Much better show than last week overall.

6 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'm a real sucker for open challenge stuff anyway. I loved Cena's one, where he just decided to have crazy competitive matches. Obviously it's a fine line because you don't want your champ to look too weak by not being able to defeat these guys very easily, but I think Cody will understand that.

I think you can get away with having longer than normal matches by playing up that Cody hasn’t been able to prepare like he would for a normal match. He knows that he’s got a defence coming up, but he can only do all-round training rather than targeting specifics because he doesn’t know who he’s oing to be facing.

Agreed on Jungle Boy though, there’s a lot of potential there. He needs to add some size though, assuming he’s got the genetics to do so. Being the plucky underdog/smallest guy in the fight will only take you so far and I’m not saying he needs to get to Lesnar size or anything obviously, but if he can get to a similar frame to what someone like Owen Hart was, I think he could do really well

Can also pull in the fatigue factor. When you go on a continuous run of competitive matches, other guys will be fresh whereas Cody will have wear and tear. It's down to good ole JR to do what he is good at and tell that story.