The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

@The King Of Swing Taz and Excalibur have asked Allie two weeks in a row on Dark what her relationship is with Butcher and Blade and she has just smirked and not answered the question. Not sure why it hasn't been mentioned on Dynamite though.

Then again, I'm perfectly happy with little things like that being explained or mentioned on Dark. Not everything needs going over on their main TV show and it fleshes things out for the people who do watch Dark too. 

1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

This Natural Nightmares storyline is a bit shit.

Has any reason been given why Allie has seemingly ditched Butcher and Blade? Unless I've missed something the commentary team are completely no selling it which is weird.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they've done something on Dark or BTE, but if that's the case I wish they'd at least reference it. I don't really see why they'd remove her from the Butcher and Blade act to pair up with the utterly pointless QT Marshall. It's all a bit odd. 

All in all I enjoyed Dynamite, but I can't stand Matt Hardy's character. When he suddenly switches gimmick it just doesn't work, it's very awkwardly done. 

I'm interested to see where the Joey Janela/Sonny Kiss story goes. Sonny is a lot of fun and is absolutely worth doing more with. I hate to sound like a broken record, but dropping the tag team with Dustin Rhodes for the Rhodes/Marshall pairing is one of the worst decisions AEW has made.

The Colt Cabana/Brodie Lee story is also interesting, and I like the build that we've seen between The Bucks and FTR. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to see Cody/Hager, but a brief feud between MJF and Billy Gunn could be fun. 

Seems really odd taking Allie from the Butcher and Blade, I thought they fit perfect together. That's the second time she's switched gimmick with no angle or explanation. That's WWE level shittery. If something of consequence to Dynamite happens on Dark, then recap it, or just mention it at all.

The Natural Nightmares skit was the only rubbish segment on an episode that had almost no wasted moments.

They're fleshing out the mid-card really well now, with Joey Janella, Colt Cabana and even Dark Order getting me into what they're doing, and Orange Cassidy and Sammy Guevara continuing to blossom as young TV stars. Bit concerned for MJF who seems a bit lost these days. I'd rather they kept Billy Gun behind the barricade.

The FTR/B and B pairing looked a bit awkward on paper but it went just about perfect. The bald one, Dax?... working babyface was ace. I don't know whats up with these entrances where they drive a truck two metres before getting out, but they managed to look cool doing it. 

Moxley's promo was fantastic. Him vs Cage/Taz is really cooking up well.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

Basically, Allie started showing up around QT, then in the stands distracting him during his matches, standing with him in the "crowd" during AEW shows. 

As far as I know, that's the extent of the story. I think they've thrown it together to give QT something else, besides an apple, but it doesn't work unless it has some kind of story. Maybe it's the beginning of QT choosing Allie over Dustin, turning heel? I don't know. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Start watching the expanded universe, you fucking casual!

Reckon anyone complained back when about stuff that happened on WCW Saturday Night, WWF Superstars or on Heat (after they got bored of it) that had no consequence on the main shows? 

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

Reckon anyone complained back when about stuff that happened on WCW Saturday Night, WWF Superstars or on Heat (after they got bored of it) that had no consequence on the main shows? 

I can’t think of any comparable examples. Did anyone ever undergo a gimmick/name change and start knocking about with Stephanie McMahon’s faction on Raw, but the change only got mentioned on Heat? WWF and (pre-Russo) WCW were pretty much aimed at casual viewers, whereas AEW doesn’t want them, so they had different approaches regarding rewarding hardcore watching of all the supplementary material. Although there’s a reasonable chance this will have some consequence on Dynamite, if Allie turns on Phineas and it was a ploy all along. Although knowing Tony, Phineas would probably then do the great babyface move of sexually assaulting her.

I’m sort of glad that this week’s Jericho Recreates WWE bit was for an angle from only six months ago, rather than two decades. But fucking hell, throwing dog food over the Big Dog is an odd one to rip off. Blood Orange Cassidy was a great line, though. 

Also, I thought the thing about Fyter Fest being originally planned for the UK was another lie, but concept art shows it was actually true:
QyUUYJE.jpg

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

I can’t think of any comparable examples. Did anyone ever undergo a gimmick/name change and start knocking about with Stephanie McMahon’s faction on Raw, but the change only got mentioned on Heat? WWF and (pre-Russo) WCW were pretty much aimed at casual viewers, whereas AEW doesn’t want them, so they had different approaches regarding rewarding hardcore watching of all the supplementary material. Although there’s a reasonable chance this will have some consequence on Dynamite, if Allie turns on Phineas and it was a ploy all along. Although knowing Tony, Phineas would probably then do the great babyface move of sexually assaulting her.

Ric Flair was once institutionalised on Nitro, at Thunder as normal, and then back in the nut house on Nitro. That was funny. Though Alvarez cried about it in his book.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

Honestly, man, I’d never have interrupted your circlejerk if I knew it would upset you.

Only messing, love you really.

@tiger_rick I can't remember as far back as Heat and it's not exactly the same thing, but there was that mad few weeks at the start of last year, where Gargano and Ciampa were halfway through one of their interminable feuds on NXT but they were teaming up on Raw. I vaguely remember Cole saying 'these pair have an interesting history!' and that was the extent to which their on-again off-again will it ever fucking end?! feud was mentioned. Was really fucking odd.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Only messing, love you really.

@tiger_rick I can't remember as far back as Heat and it's not exactly the same thing, but there was that mad few weeks at the start of last year, where Gargano and Ciampa were halfway through one of their interminable feuds on NXT but they were teaming up on Raw. I vaguely remember Cole saying 'these pair have an interesting history!' and that was the extent to which their on-again off-again will it ever fucking end?! feud was mentioned. Was really fucking odd.

That's a great shout, wasn't it a random match against The Revival on Raw one week? No build, no real story and then they were back to feuding on NXT the following week.