The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I enjoyed it, like I do most weeks. 

Personal JR highlights this week are his absolute distain for Chuck (lanky) Taylor and him trying to get over that Young Bucks are in his opinion, arguably, the best tag team in the world right now, and that's subjective folks. He fookin hates them. I love grumpy, say what's on my mind JR 

• Paid Members

I enjoyed JR publicly telling Excalibur how to do his job during Abandons entrance. Excalibur starts droning on about her previous match result and JR tells him no one cares about the backstory and goes in hard on getting her character over with Tony joining in. Excalibur really awkwardly keeps trying to bring up her match record but JR just keeps shouting over him. Thing is JR was in the right and Excalibur doesn't do enough to get character and story over. It's his biggest flaw.

• Paid Members

@LaGoosh I dunno about that, Excalibur was trying to put Abadon over by saying her previous opponent was AEW Womens Champion Hikaru Shida and Shida had been mentally rattled by Abadon. 

He maybe could've said it later on instead of during her entrance, but telling me Abadon scared the shit out of the current AEW Womens champion gets her over just as much as JR going 'shut up Excalbur! Look at her!' in his miserable fucking voice.

17 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

@LaGoosh I dunno about that, Excalibur was trying to put Abadon over by saying her previous opponent was AEW Womens Champion Hikaru Shida and Shida had been mentally rattled by Abadon. 

He maybe could've said it later on instead of during her entrance, but telling me Abadon scared the shit out of the current AEW Womens champion gets her over just as much as JR going 'shut up Excalbur! Look at her!' in his miserable fucking voice.

Excalibur isn't perfect, but when he does or says things that JR doesn't like, I wish he'd just quietly offer him advice off air rather than put him down. It's not like Excalibur doesn't help him out, covering for him when he says something dated or that defeats what AEW is trying to accomplish (eg. JR's comments where he effectively said that the singles division > the tag division)

51 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Excalibur isn't perfect, but when he does or says things that JR doesn't like, I wish he'd just quietly offer him advice off air rather than put him down. It's not like Excalibur doesn't help him out, covering for him when he says something dated or that defeats what AEW is trying to accomplish (eg. JR's comments where he effectively said that the singles division > the tag division)

That's exactly right. It's another reason why I don't understand going live in this environment. Grumpy JR does nothing for me, and detracts from a lot of the non-Cody matches with his nit-picking, non-sequiturs and lost trains of thought. In the live environment, you'd expect there to be an agreed plan of what to get over and how before each bout. If Excalibur was somehow going off-script (which it doesn't sound like he was), there's a way to bring it back but not by yelling over him. If Excalibur hadn't gone off script, then I don't know what the fuck JR was trying to achieve. It's like he's an old man yelling at his TV.

The three-man team of JR, Excalibur and Tony isn't working. I don't think there's a strong enough distinction between their inputs to justify all three being there. Excalibur has the modern wrestling knowledge and is a new voice, and Big Tone at least seems involved and genuinely engaged with the AEW roster. JR seems to have turned up with no prep, and either thinks he can or has been told he can just wing it, coz he's good ol' JR.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:00 AM, LaGoosh said:

I enjoyed JR publicly telling Excalibur how to do his job during Abandons entrance. Excalibur starts droning on about her previous match result and JR tells him no one cares about the backstory and goes in hard on getting her character over with Tony joining in. Excalibur really awkwardly keeps trying to bring up her match record but JR just keeps shouting over him. Thing is JR was in the right and Excalibur doesn't do enough to get character and story over. It's his biggest flaw.

I was just coming on to the say the EXACT same thing!

JR was 100% in the right. Nobody gives a toss if she took the Japanese school girl to the limit (I sound like Corny now) or what happened on dark. This was her main TV debut to a national audience. It's key character building time. Getting across how terrifying she is, reacting IN THE MOMENT, by gawd who is this, what is this. That's exactly what needed to be done to sell the shock and awe to everyone. Not oh she wrestled on dark and I'll think you find blah, blah blah.

Essentially emotion over facts, particularly for what is essentially introducing a new spooky character. Can you imagine Excalibur at Bad Blood? That's gotta be, that's be gotta Kane. Yes JR we seen him on Heat last week and he took Steve Blackman to the limit. Christ.

In other news delighted to see Ricky, sign him up. Britt is money. And it still annoys me that Best Friends don't have matching gear and that Chuck looks a state.

Edited by boyfriend

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, boyfriend said:

JR was 100% in the right. Nobody gives a toss if she took the Japanese school girl to the limit (I sound like Corny now) or what happened on dark. This was her main TV debut to a national audience. It's key character building time. Getting across how terrifying she is, reacting IN THE MOMENT, by gawd who is this, what is this. That's exactly what needed to be done to sell the shock and awe to everyone. Not oh she wrestled on dark and I'll think you find blah, blah blah.

Essentially emotion over facts, particularly for what is essentially introducing a new spooky character. Can you imagine Excalibur at Bad Blood? That's gotta be, that's be gotta Kane. Yes JR we seen him on Heat last week and he took Steve Blackman to the limit. Christ.

Well, no. Whether you watch Dark or not, this wasn't Abadons AEW debut. If Kane had wrestled then-champion Bret Hart the month before and taken him to the limit then yeah, I think it should've been mentioned. 

Also, it's not one or the other. We can still see how creepy Abadon is through her entrance while Excalibur gives us supplementary information about her. You've still got the visual and creepyness of Abadon's entrance while Excalibur puts her over. It's not a choice of watching the telly or listening on the radio, so I don't know what the issue is. It's just nitpicking to the extreme, for me. (I mean, I'm just as bad for nitpicking - I was going to post the other day about how Omega's pink skin distracts me from his matches).

Then again, it seems you've got Hikaru Shida and Riho mixed up so maybe you ARE JR. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, boyfriend said:

And then people would, quite rightly, criticise them for not being prepared, not knowing the product and burying Dark by flat out ignoring it's existence. They DO want people to watch it don't they? Otherwise what's the point in doing it?

8 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

And then people would, quite rightly, criticise them for not being prepared, not knowing the product and burying Dark by flat out ignoring it's existence. They DO want people to watch it don't they? Otherwise what's the point in doing it?

Which you do during the match, you sell the fact that this person creeped you out so much that you can't focus...... 

Would Vince mcmahons infamous "that's gotta be kane" have worked as well if JR had been interrupting about how he looked good in competition on live events and did it while rocking a snazzy Cape.... 

• Paid Members
Just now, poetofthedeed said:

Which you do during the match, you sell the fact that this person creeped you out so much that you can't focus...... 

Would Vince mcmahons infamous "that's gotta be kane" have worked as well if JR had been interrupting about how he looked good in competition on live events and did it while rocking a snazzy Cape.... 

They weren't broadcasting Live Events though were they? And they certainly weren't pushing them the way that AEW pushes Dark.

Did you like Excalibur's infamous "That's Butcher and The Blade! That's Butcher and the Blade!" call? that he got slated for, because that's basically what he's getting criticised for NOT doing here.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

Again, if Kane had taken WWE Champion Bret Hart to the limit on Shotgun Saturday Night the month before Badd Blood then the analogy would work. 

I still think he was way off. Particularly his timing. Mid match would be passable but not as she's making her entrance. It's a brand new character to the national TV audience many of whom don't watch dark (me included, no surprise). Side note I love how they plug Dark results on the ticker tape.

So JR was reacting as if he was seeing her for the first time just like we the fans were and creating this sense of amazement and WTF, trying to create a moment or feeling. But that was immediately ruined by Excalibur trying to dehumanise her by talking about records so soon, at least let him finish before he then talks about how creepy she is, how she's even scarier than before etc etc.

Basically it's a TV debut of spooky character, shut the f**k up for a bit and sell the character first, don't need to be hearing about win loss records yet.

• Paid Members

The fact JR obviously doesn't watch Dark annoys me way more than it should. I'd imagine he's getting paid a handsome sum by a company that are also happy to promote his latest puppy-killing memoirs, the least he could do is take an hour out each week to get familiar with the lower-card talent.