The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Japanese schoolgirl has to be one of Cornette's shittest put downs.

Anyway JR clearly doesn't give a shit about a good chunk of the roster and that probably isn't changing so no point even moaning about him anymore.

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, boyfriend said:

I still think he was way off. Particularly his timing. Mid match would be passable but not as she's making her entrance. It's a brand new character to the national TV audience many of whom don't watch dark (me included, no surprise). Side note I love how they plug Dark results on the ticker tape.

So JR was reacting as if he was seeing her for the first time just like we the fans were and creating this sense of amazement and WTF, trying to create a moment or feeling. But that was immediately ruined by Excalibur trying to dehumanise her by talking about records so soon, at least let him finish before he then talks about how creepy she is, how she's even scarier than before etc etc.

He wasn't though was he? He was trying to point out that, in her debut, she nearly beat the World Champion. How on earth does that hurt her at all? Or make her feel less impressive? The only thing that made it awkward was J.R cutting him off and laughing, which obviously threw Excalibur off. If he really had a problem with the timing, why not work through it like any other "botch" and then talk about it after the show? Or even during the advert break. I mean, it's fairly likely that Excalibur's been told to say things like that after the "Butcher and The Blade!!" thing.

It's been said before but the three man booth isn't working and, of the three, I'd get rid of JR. He's a far better commentator than Excalibur, when he cares, but it's obvious that he doesn't want to be there at the moment. Excalibur is going to learn a lot more from Tony Schiavone without sad sack Ross weighing them down.

That aside, that was my favourite segment of the show. Anna Jay losing - after the video package for her - and then leaving with the Dark Order, was a really interesting twist and got everybody involved over. Not something I've ever thought about a segment involving the Dark Order before.

1 hour ago, HLSXN said:

No love for syncing Sammy Guevara getting clipped by a golf cart with one of the BOOMs in the opening montage?

That's been on there for a couple of weeks. Marvellous stuff. 

The Kane-Abadon intro comparison falls down because Kane wasn't booked. In kayfabe, you've got to imagine all three commentators would have a match card in front of them to keep them on track and give them the cues to keep the viewers informed. Abadon was booked, but JR apparently hadn't done any prep. If it was meant to be Anna Jay vs local jobber and Abadon has taken out local jobber, then I could forgive it. Instead, it's another lazy WWE trope creeping in, of everything being called on the fly and no one having any opinions, insight or knowledge of anything except what's in front of their faces, which really disappoints me.

How long have they been having 11 matches on Dark? No wonder JR doesn’t watch it.

Never seen Abadon before and you can’t really judge her based on a squash that went just over a minute, but the other worldly demon person having a massive Resident Evil tattoo annoyed me more it should do.

The fucking state of Butcher and The Blade. What a pair of twats

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I love them because they look like twats, the hipster dickheads thing is much better then yet another team in all black being a bit spooky. They're perfect for a second string heel team, have them dominate on Dark and beat the likes of QT and Dustin (sorry Goldy) on Dynamite while not being one of the top lot.

I think they 100% still need a manager tho.

• Paid Members

Yeah I like them too. They look tough enough that they are convincing opponents and can put other teams over even though I don't remember them ever winning a match. They're not flashy, they can brawl, perfect lower tier heels.

• Paid Members

Have to say I fucking love the Butcher and the Blade for the role they are in. 

Different look and characters and capable in the ring, them along with Hangman Page are the 2 acts that have surprised me how much I've enjoyed. 

anyone else when watching on itv get loads of bleeps during the opening tag match? Couldn’t make out what it was covering them saying 

What I meant by dehumanising her was that he was taking us out of the moment. This was her TV debut, her big entrance. I hadn't seen her before and immediately sat up and was impressed and for me it killed the moment a little and the awe that they were tryna go for.

Sometimes you have to lay back and sell moments, JR is a sarky bollox but he knows this more than anyone. (I know Excalibur failed doing it with Butcher and Blade but he tried. Announcing for TV is different than PWG so I'd give him a break, no doubt he'll improve).

And I don't think it's odd that JR wouldn't know her. There's been multiple wrestlers where they come out and he throws to the expert Excalibur to fill us in on their back story so for me it's normal that he didn't know her and tried his best to sell the shit out of this new spooky character he was seeing for the first time in person.

Just to clarify my issue is TIMING. Just don't do it during her entrance. Sell the character. Fine do it later, it does put her over like you mentioned, could say how Shida felt her wrath etc. Just NOT during her debut entrance, particularly because of the nature of her character. Probably will have to agree to disagree! Happy Father's Day y'all.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

How long have they been having 11 matches on Dark? No wonder JR doesn’t watch it.

Yeah, I don't see what sense there is in having the non-live, internet-only B-show have an 11 match edition, particularly when they're not even happening in front of a proper live audience.

What they've basically done there is taped a month's worth of Dark then put it all on at once for some reason.

Dark is is over the place time/match wise.

Only theory I can think of for the amount of matches sometimes is that it may be a way of giving people some work.

Not really an issue in the grand scheme for me though since I don't usually bother with Dark and just wait for the individual matches to be uploaded.

This week's Dynamite didn't entertain me as much as ones in previous weeks. The debut from abandon was good enough, and the colt cabana story moved along although I expect that to finish with recent insight.

Britt Baker again superb. it was a decent enough show to further stuff along, it just didn't live up to ones in weeks gone by. 

That orange Cassidy moment would have been electric with a crowd.