The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
On 6/26/2020 at 10:31 AM, The King Of Swing said:

Can't comment on NXT since I haven't watched it outside of the odd clip in ages.

Be interesting to see what numbers the Fyter Fest shows draw. They've pushed those pretty hard and it would no doubt be a big disappointment if those shows underperformed.

Saying that though it's good that both AEW and NXT are still pulling in over half a million viewers.

NXT will be airing a 2 night special of The Great American Bash to coincide with AEW's Fyter Fest shows, will be interesting to see who comes out on top. AEW seem to have all their matches set, NXT is still working on theirs...

Fyter Fest 2020 - July 1st 

• AEW World Tag Team Championship: Kenny Omega and Adam Page (c) vs. Best Friends (Chuck Taylor and Trent)    
  • AEW TNT Championship: Cody (c) (with Arn Anderson) vs. Jake Hager
  • AEW Women's World Championship: Hikaru Shida (c) vs. Penelope Ford (with Kip Sabian)    
  • Jurassic Express (Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus) (with Marko Stunt) vs. MJF and Wardlow
  • Private Party (Isiah Kassidy and Marq Quen) (with Matt Hardy) vs. Santana and Ortiz

Fyter Fest 2020 - July 8th

• AEW World Championship: Jon Moxley (c) vs. Brian Cage (with Taz) 
  • Chris Jericho vs. Orange Cassidy
  • Lance Archer (with Jake Roberts) vs. Joey Janela
  • Nyla Rose vs. TBA
  • Colt Cabana and The Dark Order (Brodie Lee and Stu Grayson) vs. SoCal Uncensored (Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian, and Scorpio Sky)    
  • FTR and The Young Bucks vs. The Butcher and The Blade and Lucha Brothers

NXT's The Great American Bash 2020 - July 1st 

• NXT Strap Match:  Roderick Strong vs. Dexter Lumis
  • Handicap Match (Ripley will join The Robert Stone Brand if she loses): Rhea Ripley vs. Robert Stone and Aliyah
  • Fatal 4 Way to crown the new #1 contender to NXT Women's Champion: Tegan Nox vs. Candice LeRae vs. Mia Yim vs. Dakota Kai

NXT's The Great American Bash 2020 - July 8th

Title vs. title Match - Winner Take All: NXT Champion Adam Cole vs. North American Champion Keith Lee 

Edited by Kamran

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

They've had plenty of other big matches in previous weeks and they've rarely made a dent.

NXT didn't move much this week, a small increase. AEW fell over 100k viewers. Dunno what it means long term, NXT's previous wins have all been sporadic. AEW has been up and down during this period. Them being more popular with that younger demograph might mean more to advertisers but also makes the viewership more flaky IMO.

• Paid Members

I wonder if all the shit surrounding pro-wrestling right now is more likely to turn off younger viewers than older ones. That would be one explanation for this week's numbers. Isn't the average age of an NXT viewer something mad like 50+? I can't imagine they're the type of people to follow a hashtag on Twitter and then decide to fuck everything off in disgust. Someone in their 30s or younger though, that seems more likely.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Supremo said:

I wonder if all the shit surrounding pro-wrestling right now is more likely to turn off younger viewers than older ones. That would be one explanation for this week's numbers. Isn't the average age of an NXT viewer something mad like 50+? I can't imagine they're the type of people to follow a hashtag on Twitter and then decide to fuck everything off in disgust. Someone in their 30s or younger though, that seems more likely.

This is what I was thinking - if AEW's demographic are more likely to have opted out either because of the Covid-19 situation, or the mass outing of sex pests and wrong'uns making them just not feel like watching wrestling at the moment, while NXT's biggest demographic are less likely to be "in the loop" of all that, and more likely to be habit viewing.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I was thinking this too. Over this week, a lot of people are probably just finding the thought of wrestling to be not much fun right now. Add in a (perceived) mishandling of the Jimmy Havoc situation, and there could just be a bit of burnout.

It's a shame, because it was a fun show. They've built a bunch of stuff up nicely over a short time - I'd been really hoping they'd go with Taz calling Moxley a coward, coming up with excuses to stay home, and it was perfectly handled.

1 hour ago, Kamran said:

NXT will be airing a 2 night special of The Great American Bash to coincide with AEW's Fyter Fest shows, will be interesting to see who comes out on top. AEW seem to have all their matches set,

The GBA thing is weird. Mostly because they only announced it this week I think? It's as if they only just realised what AEW were doing and decided to do something to go up against it. Quite a slow reaction really.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

The GBA thing is weird. Mostly because they only announced it this week I think? It's as if they only just realised what AEW were doing and decided to do something to go up against it. Quite a slow reaction really.

AEW announced on June 3rd that Fyter Fest would air over the 1st and 8th July editions of Dynamite. WWE only announced their Great American Bash version for NXT on June 24th...so it does seem like a last minute decision.

• Paid Members
On 6/25/2020 at 1:39 PM, LaGoosh said:

Orange Cassidy posing in sun glasses and a blood spattered tshirt is perfect pro wrestling.

I sought this out after reading this, the only pro-wrestling I've had any interest in watching at the moment, and you're absolutely spot on. Fantastic stuff. I've said it before, but man. If this Jericho/Cassidy thing was happening in front of fans he'd be a made man for life. It's clicking perfectly, a brilliant dynamic, Jericho clearly recognises the greatness of Cassidy's act and how to make it work, all it's missing is an arena full of fans going crazy when he puts the shades back on, covered in blood. His Becky-with-a-broken-nose moment. I wonder if there's anyone who still doesn't get it? He's fucking brilliant.

Speaking to a very, very casual wrestling fan friend yesterday and he mentioned the sexual assault stuff briefly, before saying "Who's the guy in AEW? Orange? I love that guy! He's SOOOOO good"

Like @Supremo, I'm shocked if people aren't on board with OC. If my friend who couldn't tell you who any current mainstream champions are loves him, and gets it, that's all I need to know.

Edit - sexual assault not related to OC. It was just how the conversation of wrestling came about. 

Edited by iPumaPants

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Big win for NXT this week (786k to 633k). Not sure why as there's been no discussion on here for me to read but it's a great result for them. AEW was a drab show last week and nothing much advertised to grab anyone which I'd suspect is the reason for their big drop.

AEW seem to go in a cycle ratings wise. They win comfortably for a few weeks, then their highest rated show will be a dud show and they drop the next week, inevitably the week they lose is usually a really good show.

Be interesting to know if viewers are actually choosing one over the other. Are they even the same viewership? If someone doesn't bother with AEW one week is it because they're watching NXT or are they watching something different entirely?

The immediate announcement of the Great American Bash puts a bad taste in my mouth. NXT went from being the exciting development show to now where the only purpose of its existence is to try and fuck over AEW. Just another thing to add to the ever growing pile of shit on WWE's doorstep for me.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Be interesting to know if viewers are actually choosing one over the other. Are they even the same viewership? If someone doesn't bother with AEW one week is it because they're watching NXT or are they watching something different entirely?

There doesn't seem to be a massive crossover. They generally rise and fall together. AEW have had a few big wins but generally it's been pretty close and the trends are similar for both. This week AEW dropped by well over 100k viewers but NXT was only up marginally. The demographs tend to suggest they've got a different core audience too with NXT's skewing older.

The way ratings are measured is soo small and out of date in how it’s done it really surprises me how much it’s broken down in general chats  about whether a show was a good watch or not. Especially when most of here know there’s many watching through non live tv means.

To me AEW is a six outta ten most weeks and a decent early morning watch. There’s not much really exciting me at the moment, but nothing offending me either. 

1 hour ago, Louch said:

The way ratings are measured is soo small and out of date in how it’s done it really surprises me how much it’s broken down in general chats  about whether a show was a good watch or not. Especially when most of here know there’s many watching through non live tv means.

This is, to an extent, my view also. Dynamite is offered through various avenues, as is much of WWE programming, and so live television ratings aren't the big thing they were in 1998-2001.

However, it does kinda put a spotlight on the general interest in the product, and it's quite fun to see who wins the 'Wednesday Night War' on a battle by battle basis. 

AEW, to me, for the most part, has been the most enjoyable wrestling television show put out since Lucha Underground. It's my jam. It has bit and pieces that are of less interest to me, but overall, I think the product is better than anything else being offered. 

That opinion will differ from person to person, but a dip in television ratings won't stop people watching it in whichever way they watch it.