The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

The revival names are so terrible  FTR is fine. But Cash Wheeler is one of the worst names I’ve ever heard and Dax Harwood is only slightly better. I howled laughing when Excalibur said their names even though I already knew.

Its probably one of those things ill be used to in a few weeks and i won’t notice, but right now it’s just brutal.

Edited by Yakashi

36 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

He doesn’t have to ‘have it in’ for Moxley. Cage has a title shot and Taz (or is it Tazz? Which spelling are they going with?) was stating intent.

Taz mashing his words a bit didn’t really bother me. It was still a solid promo. I did expect him to go after Darby or explain their relationship but better though, it feels like there are a number of loose threads that they need to tie up.

Maybe I've been spoiled by Jake Roberts, but it's absolutely a problem if AEW have IRL employed him to talk and Cage has kayfabe employed him to talk, and he can't talk. They're not fixing him in post, like on Smackdown. I get that the pandemic means they've got to find ways to keep the main stars busy while keeping the money feuds off the table, so a certain amount of hotshotting is going to be involved. But turning a good guy commentator with growing beef with a cruiserweight talent into a heel manager going after the heavyweight belt is too whiplash for me. The Fyter Fest bout will no doubt be decent, with Mox working with Cage's space age offence after his worked shoot with Hager and WWE brawl with Brodie. The start has been a damp squib for me so far.

I'm sure FTR's ring names are a mix of Nascar heroes and their kids' names. Dax and Cash is catchier than their full ones, even if they sound like side characters in Sonic Chaotix.

Finally got round to fully watching Double or Nothing as well as this past weeks Dynamite last night.

Not much else that I feel like a can add to DoN that hasn't been said already, but I thought it was an OK show overall, but I doubt that I'll go back and watch it again. I fell asleep watching Rose/Shida so had to try again, only to fall asleep again although not for as long the second time. I caught the end on the second go-round, but I'm not going to try for a third time just to say that I've seen all of the match. Moxley/Lee was a decent enough brawl, and while there were bits in Stadium Stampede that I really liked and bits that I didn't, you can't say that it wasn't entertaining. I didn't realise it had been pre-taped until P&P started doing the stuff with Matt in the pool.

Part of me feels like AEW could put on some really enjoyable PPVs if they can get them down to around the 3hr mark. You could've easily cut off 5 minutes of Jungle Boy v MJF, sack off Shawn Spears v Dustin completely by just doing it on Dynamite and that Ladder match sure as hell didn't need to go nearly 30 minutes. Speaking of the Ladder Match, and I know they said on commentary that they were honourable competitors, but in kayfabe terms SCU are a pair of fucking idiots for not getting it over and done with in the first few seconds. I did quite Taz being Brian Cage's Gedo though, just stick a flat cap on him.

I did have a look at what others thought of the show, and Jesus Christ the gatekeeping for AEW is fucking ridiculous at times. "holy shit! what a show! 5 MOTY candidates right there" - fuck right off!

As for Dynamite, was a bit underwhelmed by FTR's debut but I do like them so I'm willing to just put it down as a dodgy angle. Is Colt Cabana joining the Dark Order? I'm sure his mum cares but I can't imagine anybody does.

That final segment though. I've come to like Jericho more since he joined AEW, but he still drops a bollock every now and again by doing something that he thinks is hilarious, while it goes over everybody elses heads. Even the nichiest of niches would struggle to tell you who Marc Anthony was in 2020. Fucking state of Tyson, is he punch-drunk? normal drunk? I had to lookup what Jericho was referring to as well, I've no memory of that angle ever happening. Speaking of state of people, who the fuck was the guy in Tyson's crew with the facepaint?

That pull-apart could've been alot more effective if you didn't have Isiah Kassidy grinning from ear to ear throughout it

Edited by WyattSheepMask

2 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Maybe I've been spoiled by Jake Roberts, but it's absolutely a problem if AEW have IRL employed him to talk and Cage has kayfabe employed him to talk, and he can't talk. They're not fixing him in post, like on Smackdown. I get that the pandemic means they've got to find ways to keep the main stars busy while keeping the money feuds off the table, so a certain amount of hotshotting is going to be involved. But turning a good guy commentator with growing beef with a cruiserweight talent into a heel manager going after the heavyweight belt is too whiplash for me.

As a wrestler, Taz(z) used to cut a great promo, and I think there’s potential in the partnership. I’ll admit that I do find it odd to see him in a managerial role rather than behind the commentary desk, but he’ll be OK.

The AEW roster is starting to feel a bit crowded though. I hope that doesn’t put them off signing Rusev, who I genuinely would like to see in this company. Rusev as a surprise challenger to Cody one week would be a lot of fun. 

49 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Rusev as a surprise challenger to Cody one week would be a lot of fun. 

Is the Handsome Rusev name a thing or just UKFFese? I would love him to pop out of a cake in a tiny bow tie and destroy someone. "Hello Coooody!"

Sidenote: Spotted that Sammy vs golf cart has made the Dynamite title video, neon explosions and everything. 9 3/4 stars.

• Awards Moderator

Probably more I disliked than liked on this episode.

This week is the most I’ve enjoyed Matt Hardy in AEW, he felt like he fitted in properly for the first time. The match had some very obvious wait-for-the-spot stuff but I enjoyed it.

Hikaru Shida is great. Jungle Boy was the right pick to win the Battle Royal. He and Cody should have a good’un.

What does FTR stand for? Is it like when AOP turned up on Raw and they never bothered to explain what the three letters meant? 

Zoned out of the Jimmy Havoc match completely. 

Cody’s promo was far from his best, but even if the rest of it had been the same, did he really need to throw in the “I won’t be welcome in Connecticut” line?

Add me to those who thought the closing segment was very TNA. And very 2010, as well, with Annoying Voice Vickie Guerrero, Jack Swagger (although I will say his poem was the best bit of it), and Jericho paying off an angle from ... well, from 2010 ... from Raw. Could have done without eeeeveryone piling in at the end. I know AEW are doing testing but that was a big squished crowd of people in the ring there.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

FTR initially meant Fuck The Revival, was one of those Being The Elite things when I wasn't watching I guess. I'm not a fan of the name regardless of what it means now, it's not even three letters that roll off the tounge well.

• Paid Members

I thought it was Forever The Revival, but apparently it's Fear The Revolt which is even worse. Still, shit names don't mean anything in wrestling. Walter is one of the worst names ever and it's not done him any harm.

@HarmonicGenerator I'd completely forgotten about Vickie Guerrero until your post. It took around 30 seconds for her to remind me why she had change the channel heat. 

9 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Cody’s promo was far from his best, but even if the rest of it had been the same, did he really need to throw in the “I won’t be welcome in Connecticut” line?

To be fair, it had been four whole days since he’d shared the ring with a WWE Hall of Famer. He was probably worried we’d forget he’s obsessed with WWE. And a line in a promo is a lot cheaper than building HHH-style sets and props, and does exactly the same job.