The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Depending on how long and how often Tyson’s around, there’s a possibility that they’ll book him to force himself on Swagger’s wife for a laugh. Unless they realise that sort of thing isn’t on, but if they realise it’s inappropriate to do with an actual rapist, you’d think they’d get that they shouldn’t be doing it at all.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Not a great show. Probably one of their worst ever actually. 

Judging by his performance I'm going to guess that Tyson had been doing coke for hours before coming out to the ring.

And yet it’ll probably still beat NXT in the ratings unfortunately 

• Paid Members

Watched the whole episode this morning for the first time in god knows how long and although it was weak in parts, i enjoyed the different look and feel of it all. 

One thing i noticed is that Shida has an aura about her that just makes her come across as a star and Britt Baker has been brilliant since turning heel, a far cry from the babyface persona.

Theres something about Wardlow that gives me the same vibe as Rob Terry, in that hes a good muscle in the background but if he gets a run on his own, i think he will struggle.

Jungle Boy is a star in the making, everything about him is money. Ortiz doesn't get enough credit for his comedic timing and Matt Hardy just looks a mess. 

FTR debut was clunky and messy and should really have been held off until the crowds return. Are they still within their 90 day clause? 

One thing that is really irritating me and is making the reading of this thread (and the NXT thread) pretty much unbearable, is how it seems pretty much impossible for people to discuss either show without it turning into either slagging off how 'shit WWE / NXT' is, or how 'AEW will fail, they're obsessed with WWE / NXT'. Both arguments are tedious and detract away from how we should be enjoying the show as a whole. 

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Ortiz doesn't get enough credit for his comedic timing

I think part of that was a mistake in presentation when they came in - they were presented as a serious team and a serious threat. But they're at their best doing goofy comedy shit that they clearly enjoy. That hasn't always come across that well, but it worked so well in the Stadium Stampede that it might have helped them a lot, Ortiz especially. Santana has had most of the focus so far, as he's the more obviously charismatic. But as a weird, goofy comedy heel, Ortiz could be really good.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mark_Doctor said:

Why do they keep bringing up a WWE angle from 10 years ago that nobody remembers? Definite TNA vibes there.

Don't have a problem with this at all. Tyson's only done two pro-wrestling angles and one of them was with Chris Jericho. Why wouldn't you play that up? The TNA comparison, as usual, is nonsense. TNA's obsession with WWE was also detrimental, like WCW. Always trying to pretend they were in some sort of battle. Not ignoring that guys have a history isn't the same thing at all. Stay away from nonsense like Cody breaking that throne that time and it's fine.

Sounds like a poor show. Not looking forward to it.

55 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

NXT is shit so it's not unfortunate, really.

Hardly, The last few weeks have been good on NXT, there’s been weeks where AEW has been poor from a match quality perspective yet still has viewers and I say that as a fan of both

I find it so weird when they bring in boxers or MMA guys, completely takes you out of the moment in a "yeah we know that you know it's fake but this guy can REALLY fight". Then you see Colt Cabana standing in the middle as if Tyson, Vitor Belfort or even the vanilla midget Cejudo couldn't tie him in knots within 5 seconds.

37 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Don't have a problem with this at all. Tyson's only done two pro-wrestling angles and one of them was with Chris Jericho. Why wouldn't you play that up? The TNA comparison, as usual, is nonsense. TNA's obsession with WWE was also detrimental, like WCW. Always trying to pretend they were in some sort of battle. Not ignoring that guys have a history isn't the same thing at all. Stay away from nonsense like Cody breaking that throne that time and it's fine.

Sounds like a poor show. Not looking forward to it.

It was a sloppy show that would have been aided greatly by a live crowd, but I thought it was OK. I imagine/hope they'll have learned lessons from it. 

I'd be interested to hear if your opinion on Tyson changes after watching it. I don't have a problem with them referencing it, but I think there should have been some sort of spark in AEW to instigate the level of interaction that there was. As it stands, it felt a little out-of-nowhere.

1 hour ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Hardly, The last few weeks have been good on NXT, there’s been weeks where AEW has been poor from a match quality perspective yet still has viewers and I say that as a fan of both

Agreed - I've been watching NXT since it started, and AEW on a regular basis too. Both are capable of putting on great shows, and most weeks they're competing for the best show on air currently. I don't really see the obsession about ratings. There's really nothing interesting happening in the ratings for either show if we're being honest.