The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

4 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Havoc's partnership with Sabian confuses me so much. Who looked at a handsome cocky arrogant heel with an attractive girlfriend and thought that pairing him with a middle aged goth was any sense at all?

I can only assume there was a "hey you're both english!" element to it.

They are housemates and it naturally evolved into them as a pairing on screen. 

• Paid Members

I hope MJF takes his obvious territory era heel fantasy to its logical conclusion of giving himself a disgusting forehead, he's just half arsing it otherwise.

Speaking of gross old school body parts; Brian Cage's spotty 'roid back, fucking hell, I wonder what picture you'd see if you joined the dots.

After seeing Adam Page riding in on a horse I was going to nominate him for the "wrestlers you'd turn for" thread but Rick got there in the very first post. I think AEW had only been around a couple of weeks, fair play rick, you can have the first crack at him.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:59 AM, tiger_rick said:

One for the ladies and us blokes comfortable in our sexuality. Who's the best looking dude in the business?

That Adam Page dude off AEW is one handsome motherfucker.

They've announced an Inner Circle "Pep Rally" for Wednesday. Which hopefully means a still-white-painted Jericho trying to cheer up a wheelchair bound Ortiz, still-freezing-somehow Santana, full-body-cast Sammy and bit-more-grumpy Hager. That's going to be gold.

Edited by CavemanLynn

I popped hard for Jaxson de Ville's crotch pump. That or the first cut to Tyson watching ringside letting out a massive yawn are shoe in's for Funniest Moment of the Year runner up (behind "everything Sammy G was involved in").

Speaking of dodgy camera work, was I imagining it or did they accidentally zoom in on the blade being passed to the ref during the title match? 

Great show, main event is getting rewatched about 50 times before Dynamite this week. Can't believe we're missing out on London Fyter Fest, would have honestly paid for first row seats for that!

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members

All the talk of them potentially making Stadium Stampede an annual event got me thinking. Supposing fans are back by this time next year, would this style of match really work in the post-Covid world? Could you do it with fans, or it would it have to exist as a pre-tape on an otherwise normal PPV? Could they build Dark Order up enough for them to be one of the teams? And are there really more fun ideas you could do in that setting, or have they exhausted them all?

For the record though, yes. Hangman Adam Page is a very handsome man. I absolutely would. It’s one of the many reasons why he feels like a sure-fire breakthrough star in the making.

Edited by Supremo

Making it annual just falls into the wwe trope if must get 10 guys feuding in time for it. rather they have it when it’s needed 

It felt organic and was done because of the current situation the world is in, to just make it a yearly event stinks.

Maybe it's because of years of WWE forcing TLC or Hell In a Cell matches every year instead of having them when they'd make sense in a story that I feel so against it.

Edited by Merzbow

The only way the could make it yearly would be to have it as a full event with the ring in the middle of the field. More like a theme for the show rather than just one match like, Hog Wild or Spring Breakout. Fans would be pretty far from the ring though so don’t know if it would be quite the same. As for predicting who would be in the match, I don’t think anyone would have expected that performance from half the people in it, so who knows what they will have in a year 

• Paid Members

I'm fine with having it in the stadium yearly as a SummerSlam level event (I'm just using WWE for size references) and host it yearly in Jacksonville during the off season, the state would love the consistent added tourism and it would give that home arena feel for AEW that gave for WWE for many. 

As for the match itself, I want it to be a one and done but that doesn't mean this can't go and make other matches in the likes of in the future. 

The idea of AEW producing an event on the Jericho Cruise again but having brawls over different areas of the ship would be great. I don't know how to choreograph being thrown off a cruise ship into the water below but Sammy pulling a "I'm the King of the World" before being thrown overboard would probably be this generations most used wrestling meme and clip and I think the beautiful nutcase would do it too. 

But there is so much they could do. The Dark Orders HQ, some form of Welcome to the Jungle match next year with Jungle Express facing three guys and Marko being used as a human javelin, christ a whole PPV being "produced" by Orange Cassidy and every match just being some level of absolutely no effort made to think of a match type would be fun to watch the heels trying to work out ways to win when nothing actually makes sense. 

This is the thing I think I'm fucking loving about AEW right now. It's fresh and it has been for a solid year now. They haven't gone down complete Wrestle crap, when it hasn't worked they scrapped and changed because it really does seem like it's wrestling for wrestling fans, with every executive seeming to love a different era or style. 

The characters are actually characters. It's not guys put together because why not or "I'm a bad ass fighting machine", their world champion is slightly unhinged loves violence loves fighting and escaped from a world where they wanted him to be entertaining, this place wants him to be whatever the hell he wants as long as he shows up and hits people. His challenger last weekend is a "bad ass" yeah, but what is setting him out for me right now is he's so delusional about being forgotten about and being left behind and not given his opportunities, that he's gone from being in a cult to leading one for other people without hope who just want recognition. Matt Harry's broken again and even if it isn't working as much the third time round it's still fun at times. The Best Friends are literally that but you know without the other they wouldn't be employed and it's because of that they're bond is so strong. Jungle Express has a martial artist Dinosaur, Jericho thinks he's a god, Sammy thinks he's an insasitable god. 

I'd say even down to Havoc and Sabian's character being pricks that nobody likes, but having a connection of knowing each other from back home and having the same sense of humour and taste as pricks (in character) means I can accept a fully grown goth man and a man child being a tag team because they both just think they're great and everyone else is a twat. 

Wrestling is usually such a negative place and I won't begin addressing Covid and should shows be running because its been discussed like mad. But for shows like this weekend and the last few weeks, it's been an amazing escape for me to just have three hours a week I can watch wrestling where its fresh and the pacing is right and I don't feel like I need to be knowledgeable of years of back stories or insider knowledge because the information I do need is told to me by Grumpy Ol' JR but a genuinely loving what he's doing Tony and Excalibur as just something different at the desk.

I've rambled like hell here but honestly everything about AEW right now is keeping me interested as a fan of wrestling. If I was starting training like I did 10 years ago, the first thing I'd be thinking as an aspirational career goal is AEW, because people just seem like they're enjoying their passion there. 

Edited by Shy Dad

8 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

The idea of AEW producing an event on the Jericho Cruise again but having brawls over different areas of the ship would be great. I don't know how to choreograph being thrown off a cruise ship into the water below but Sammy pulling a "I'm the King of the World" before being thrown overboard would probably be this generations most used wrestling meme and clip and I think the beautiful nutcase would do it too. 

If they ever did the stampede match again the Cruise Ship Stampede is definitely the direction I'd like to see them go. As for going overboard a load of people tweeted Jericho after the Dynamite episode on the ship complaining that nobody got chucked overboard and he had to point out if they did they'd actually die.

If they absolutely insist on doing one again I think the stampede should be used like the early days of hell in a cell, the big blow off to the fued where you have to over-pronounce the name of the match on TV in the build up (HELLLLLLLL..... IN A CELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL).

What a match though. The horse, infinite suplexes up the field, jumping off the goal posts, one winged angel off the stands, Hangman and Hagar in the bar, disputing the pin in that tent thing, Judas Effect on the mascot, all great fun. I didn't mind the pool spot because you could see Matt under the water, mugging to the camera. What I didn't like was "They're drowning him!" and "They've left him for dead!" whilst Matt floats face down. No idea when they filmed some of that but could have just done with muting some of the commentary.

22 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Post event scrum was interesting with Cody saying the VP's all have different visions about wrestling (Deadpool, DDT and Crockett).

Historically this has never been a good thing (too many cooks and all that) but they seem to be making it work for now.

That probably explains why Cody has mostly been kept separate from the rest of them story wise. Helps that everyone seems to be happy where they are right now.

The variation is one of the biggest positives for me.

Of course it could quickly turn sour but let's be honest even with their flashy little VP titles, Khan can obviously just slap them down if they get too full of themselves. As shown by the companies rapid growth he's obviously not an idiot as far as business goes.