The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

The main event was everything that Money In The Bank wished it was. I didn’t notice the pool scene the way I noticed the Benoit thing. I wouldn’t say that they are the same level at all, but it should have been cut. Went on for ages as well. (Edit: the more I think about it the worse it does come off.) It’s weird the difference comedy spots make when they actually have comedy in them, WWE should take note.

Brodie and Mox was great fun. Cody and Archer was great for the most part, don’t know why they kept cutting to Tyson yawning or not paying attention. Proper shame they couldn’t get the belt finished in time, they’ve had fucking ages.

Ladder match was lovely, Darby is a nutter, Cassidy is the funniest bloke in wrestling and everyone else played their parts really well. So glad it was Brian Cage, the guy is awesome and they booked him about as strong as it gets. 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

To the surprise of unquestionably everyone, I'm really surprised by the rave reviews this PPV is getting. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind, struggling to stay awake and peeved it's not in Vegas and I had to refund my flight and ticket.....but I wasn't blown away like I have been for all their PPVs up to this point. I need to go back and watch it again.

The opener would have been great if they'd binned all the outside interference- there were more than enough folks involved from the outset.

MJF and Jungle Boy was good....that poison Rana on the apron looked fab, as was MJFs selling. Could be the start of a great long term rivalry.

Statlander / Ford and Spears / Dustin wasn't PPV worthy and all that crap with Spears felt like WWE booking.

I enjoyed Cody and Archer. I have high Hope's that this belt will be treated as a legitimate second title like the IWGP Intercontinental title and not like the WWE Intercontinental title. The right guy went over, but I'd liked them to have made a bigger deal of the victory - I think they cut to the next video package far too quickly. The match would have been better with less of the Arn /Jake / Tyson shenanigans.

Hikaru Shida and Nyla Rose was good, surprising outcome, both worked hard.....but too many gimmick matches on this show possibly?

Brodie Lee and Jon Moxley was better than I expected. I don't think Brodie Lee should have been in that spot to begin with, but I enjoyed the match in itself, particularly the finish.

Stadium Stampede. Genius, but fighting to stay awake and dozing off throughout. I agree with Supremo about Sammi, just wow! The pool of reincarnation had me in stitches, as did the golf cart spot, the white line painted on Jericho, the bar scene, the horse, the moonsault off the goal thingy, the 100 yard suplexes and the crazy finish. Kenny Omega is so versatile - he can shine in almost any kind of match. Worth the PPV price alone. Everyone in it looked like they were having a blast.

Gutted to read this morning that Fyter Fest was going to be in London.

I fell asleep a few times during the show so I was pretty fresh for the Stampede.

Absolutely bonkers DDT levels of fun and like others here I didn't have any issue with the pool spot. As rick posted it's a part of Matt's character but I do agree that it dragged longer than it should have and the usual lot would have thrown a massive fit if WWE did it but as rick also posted fuck those guys.

Happy that Shida won though I'm a little disappointed that Rose didn't get the dominant reign you would have assumed she would have. Not sure if the title change was planned or if AEW decided a feel good PPV was needed after recent events.

Everything else is a blur due to my struggle to stay awake but I really enjoyed what I managed to watch.

I loved that card. It felt really well constructed, had a bit of everything, peaked and troughed in the right places and everything did what it was supposed to. Lovely stuff.

My only minor quibble was how JR pushed Shida's win in relation to Hana Kimura's passing. I woke up to the news about Hana and was as upset about it as any wrestling death I can remember, but JR referencing it constantly post match made Shida's win feel like a pity win.

I'm not sure Emi Sakura shared my reservations though............

1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Do we reckon the Stadium Stampede Match has replaced the Blood & Guts Match, or do you think they’ll try and built to that again at some point?

I guess they could hold off on the feud for a while now, they could always bring it back once they have fans back in attendance and can involve Cody next time for the match.

I was dreading the broken matt stuff anyway, but the fact that no one there had the foresight to think that holding a man underwater after shad gaspard drowned was a bad idea tells me that eventually, these lads are going to self masturbate themselves into oblivion... 

Edited by poetofthedeed

9 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Ahh okay. Assumed they were from the way JR was pushing it.

That's one of the things that felt egregious about it to me. As far as I'm aware there wasn't the impetus to frame it like a Eddie/Rey situation. I don't know how much Shida was personally affected but it wasn't like their careers or lives were intrinsically linked to my knowledge. It's also telling that Excalibur, who would be the one who would know realistically, of the three commentators kept quiet while JR was going on.

Just now, BrodyGraham said:

That's one of the things that felt egregious about it to me. As far as I'm aware there wasn't the impetus to frame it like a Eddie/Rey situation. I don't know how much Shida was personally affected but it wasn't like their careers or lives were intrinsically linked to my knowledge. It's also telling that Excalibur, who would be the one who would know realistically, of the three commentators kept quiet while JR was going on.

Yeah I felt it was a bit awkward but kinda put it down to not knowing the background. I was hoping it wasn't just a case of JR putting it all together just because they were two female Japanese wrestlers.

Loved the Stadium Stampede match, I get what people are saying about the water spot but I didn't think anything of it at the time. It has always been a part of the Broken Matt character too to be fair. Hope they move away from each other for a bit and then restart the feud to do Blood and Guts eventually.

The show overall was very strong, save the Dustin/Spears shit but at least that was short. Moxley/Lee was a fun brawl and Shida/Rose was definitely the best women's match they've had on PPV so far. The Ladder match was good and MJF/Jungle Boy had the best pure wrestling match on the show too. Cody/Archer got bogged down a bit in all the shenanigans and dunno if I would've had Lance lose just yet but was still decent.

Edited by AndyUK