The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

As it wasn’t announced by March, can only assume it was gonna be in a very small venue for first trip here if it was to take place in June 

58 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

I enjoyed the way JR explained that all the numbers the Inner Circle were wearing had significance and then just stopped taking about it after the first 2 before Tony tried to coach him back to finishing his sentence and he still just did nothing. 

You would think that JR wouldn't be such a miserable prick now that he has a job where he doesn't work for a lunatic that loves to humiliate him once a year.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

You would think that JR wouldn't be such a miserable prick now that he has a job where he doesn't work for a lunatic that loves to humiliate him once a year.

The lunatic probably paid him more. 

• Paid Members

They need to use Ross in smaller doses. He clearly has something to offer when there's a story to tell but for the modern spot-spot-spot stuff, he just doesn't work. Cycle him in and out. If you think he's that valuable. But don't put him out there for three hours.

5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

They need to use Ross in smaller doses. He clearly has something to offer when there's a story to tell but for the modern spot-spot-spot stuff, he just doesn't work. Cycle him in and out. If you think he's that valuable. But don't put him out there for three hours.

His sit down interviews are also really effective. I totally agree, but I do think AEW needs that third person at the booth. A Tony/Excalibur combo would just be too dry (and I love Schiavone).

• Paid Members

Those shows where Jim Ross couldn’t travel in really exposed how much more fun it can be watching the modern stuff without him being all shitty and sarcastic.

The problem is that they’ve got the best commentator in the business in Chris Jericho, but he’s too good to not use as a top star right now and he can’t really do both.

When he eventually retires from being in the ring though? Fucking jackpot. Put him behind the desk and in a top position in creative. Then bring JR in for Title matches exclusively. Perfect.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Brodie and Mox was great fun. Cody and Archer was great for the most part, don’t know why they kept cutting to Tyson yawning or not paying attention. Proper shame they couldn’t get the belt finished in time, they’ve had fucking ages.

I don't know that they have, actually. While I think they were planning on bringing in the title at some point, I think it became the emergency plan when they had to tape a bunch of TV at short notice. Remember that whole 'Tony Khan writing the scripts in half-an-hour thing'? I reckon that was where the tournament plan started and ended. So since then, they've had to rush designs, and just fell short.

• Paid Members

Probably the best PPV of the COVID era. It wasn’t a classic, some matches stood out more then others. All the title matches and MJF/Jungle Boy were good to great.

That main event though... MOTY candidate. And the finish... I do get why some may think the Matt Hardy bits were a bit tone deaf. But as others have said it’s part of his gimmick, and the fact they kept showing him under the water looking fine meant I didn’t feel uneasy. 

I thought this was a really entertaining and enjoyable show all over really.

I think having the members of the roster who aren't involved in matches out shouting, reacting and interacting makes a huge difference because it's so much better than just deathly silence.

I felt the ladder match was a bit all over the place and I'm not a fan of Cage but Cody/Archer, Shida/Rose, Moxley/Lee and Stadium Stampede were all very enjoyable with the main being the show stealer. 

Jericho is just sensational, he constantly seems to evolve into continuously entertaining new versions of himself and it really is a joy to watch.

As mentioned previously Guevarra loses every week yet only ever somes across better and better.

Adam Page looked a million dollars once again.

Mark me down for an entry into wrestlings unpopular opinions but I actually think MJF is utter shite. He looks as threatening as a damp sponge and I don't think his gimmick suits or fits someone who wins so often. I feel he should be a snivelling little coward of a spoiled rich kid who cheats his way to every single victory he gains and any time he faces a real challenge he gets battered. For me he has nothing other than X Pac heat and I am baffled as to why people rate him so highly.

On a side note Jimmy Havoc really is terrible as is Joey Janela. Janela looks like utter shit. He's tolerable if only ever used as a jobber but anything more and he's well out of place.

Havoc's partnership with Sabian confuses me so much. Who looked at a handsome cocky arrogant heel with an attractive girlfriend and thought that pairing him with a middle aged goth was any sense at all?

I can only assume there was a "hey you're both english!" element to it.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

Just got through the show now. I want to watch the main event again immediately but I also don't want to go back and start nit-picking. It was amazing! There were so many funny and surprising parts that if you wait a while before re-watching, some of it will surprise all over again. I honestly think it has zoomed straight into my top 5 favourite matches of all time. That they managed it even though I don't give a shit about many of the participants was even more impressive. Standing ovation for all those who worked to put this thing together. 😀

• Paid Members

Just finished the main event and although there were parts of the Hardy in the pool spot that was abit Ill thought out (JR saying ‘they’re drowning him’ and Ortiz shouting ‘he’s dead’), I thought the segment was actually really well done. Ortiz saying he can’t swim and slowly climbing the ladder to three foot of water was brilliant.

The laugh of the match for me came from Hangman just casually walking over Jericho with the line marker and walking off out of shot. Brilliant.

Penelope Ford is gorgeous, however did that smelly looking oddball, Janela pull her?

Enjoyed Orange Cassidy again in the opener, however I fear they may overdo it on his exposure. He’s hilarious at the moment and his asking the commentators the rules was great.