The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

As much as I loved loved loved the Stadium Stampede match, I absolutely do NOT want it to become an annual, or even recurring thing. 

It seemed like the product of a perfect storm of situations. The Elite and Inner Circle both contained characters and creative minds to make it work, and the empty arena gave them the production options to be able to make it happen. The match absolutely would not have worked if there had been a crowd - can you imagine the number of oiks who'd try to get on camera?

Going annual would also push them straight into WWE's trap of shoehorning feuds into match scenarios rather than the other way around. Mad to think when so many people applaud AEW for doing something different from the opposition that so many would immediately ask that they do the same as the opposition.

If they can somehow develop it, they simply must put the Stadium Stampede as a match option in whatever game they're doing. And if then can afford to book a cruise ship specifically for a match, with NO crowd, then, storyline and characters permitting, I'd be interested to see what they do with it. But this has to be one and done for now.

If they want an annual event, Blood and Guts, if it is War Games as we suspect, will be the way to go.

As a random extra thought, if Hangman turns up on Dynamite this week, it'll be a mistake. He's rode in, helps his mates in their time of need, but he should definitely ride off into the sunset (or walk off into the woods) again. Not only is there no point while lockdown is still up, but also having him as a lone gunman type would add to his Stone Cold aura of being the guy you get in to sort shit out. A proper cowboy superman.

Definitely echo the not wanting AEW to overdo gimmick matches. I'll be happy to just rewatch the original Stampede match if I want to see it again, which I have a number of times already.

That's one of the reasons I struggled with the ladder match - it wasn't awful but I've seen SO many ladder bumps over the years now it's very difficult to get invested in them. I remember when it felt like a big deal in ROH when they did their first one because it hadn't been overdone and it was used as part of a real blood feud. I wish more companies could get that feeling back from a gimmick match.

29 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Speaking of not over doing things when was the last "unsanctioned" match?

Was it Omega Vs. Moxely?

Though no DQ/countout is basically the same thing I guess.

I think the only difference with an unsanctioned match is that it doesn't count on there wins & losses record.

2 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

If they ever did the stampede match again the Cruise Ship Stampede is definitely the direction I'd like to see them go. As for going overboard a load of people tweeted Jericho after the Dynamite episode on the ship complaining that nobody got chucked overboard and he had to point out if they did they'd actually die.

Didnt stop WWE at MITB throwing wrestlers off Titan towers. Could show them landing in a lifeboat on the side

• Paid Members

I think being taped helped the Stadium Stampede enormously. This wasn't a match - it was wrestling comedy. And it might be that this becomes more of a thing in future, but I can't see how it could work on PPV without being live or in front of crowds.

That said, doing something pre-taped on the cruise isn't a bad idea at all. They didn't exactly make a virtue of it being live last time. Pretape and have as much fun as possible with it.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Definitely echo the not wanting AEW to overdo gimmick matches. I'll be happy to just rewatch the original Stampede match if I want to see it again, which I have a number of times already.

That's one of the reasons I struggled with the ladder match - it wasn't awful but I've seen SO many ladder bumps over the years now it's very difficult to get invested in them. I remember when it felt like a big deal in ROH when they did their first one because it hadn't been overdone and it was used as part of a real blood feud. I wish more companies could get that feeling back from a gimmick match.

I genuinely can't think of the last ladder match I've enjoyed let alone given a shit about. They've been done to death and you're never going to see anything new in them by this point. Would really like them to go away for a few years.

• Paid Members

Where have Evil Uno and Stu Grayson disappeared to? Feels a bit weird that the Dark Order stuff has pivoted so much since Brodie Lee was introduced. Presuming they are both off, not wanting to work these shows under the circumstances (understandably), but I wasn't sure if we had a storyline explanation at some point?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Lorne Malvo said:

@mim731 I think they're stuck in Canada due to travel restrictions. It's only been mentioned in passing on commentary once or twice though, so easy to miss.

Ta! Wasn't sure if it was just something they dropped, or it had been mentioned. Must have missed that entirely. 

On 5/25/2020 at 2:53 PM, Shy Dad said:

Screenshot-20200525-145118-com-twitter-a

I bloody love it. 

They could’ve gone super niche and have someone in a pink vest that was too small for them try to reverse it but failing. Then look forlornly at a woman who doesn’t fancy him. 

Now AEW is a year in, let's go back and see who predicted what correctly!

https://ukff.com/topic/139260-all-elite-wrestling-trademarks-filed/

Sadly they didn't get Okada, I still maintain Cody > Rollins, and fortunately MJF has turned out to be much more than a shit Alberto Del Rio knock off!

Edited by MPDTT

“I think Jericho is more concerned with his legacy than the paydays at this point, if he had a loose contract I think he’d be happy just picking up internet points. Can’t see WWE chucking him many proper big pay days at this point.

I think wrestlers would be more interested in Cody’s rejuvenated career, if he could help them do the same I could totally see him being able to get workers like Revival. Guys like Aries and Pac would have also made the jump had the timing been different”

I said that end of 2018, which is an alright prediction compared to other people thinking they’d be level with MLW and bleed money. Last I heard they were turning a profit while still paying all talent during a pandemic. Khan has even been paying Cage since January despite the guy being injured.

• Paid Members

It's probably fair to say that AEW has outperformed early expectations. Reading that thread, the general feeling was that it'd struggle enormously, and most likely be a Global Force Wrestling style shitshow. Also, who would have thought Cody would end up having such a strong year?

I was reading through and thinking that, when I saw this post. Not trying to call out @IANdrewDiceClay out here or anything, because it was very much my take on Sammy Guevara when I first saw him (and watched him with his panda-hood). Who would have thought he'd become one of the best things in wrestling so fast?

It's a shame you can't edit posts in locked threads. I'd totally have put something in there about predicting the coronavirus.

Edited by Chris B