The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I don't think it'll happen in the next few years but age and injures mount up.

Was more about carving a "style" of wrestling where fans come to expect like ECW of sorts when the ones that made it what it was left like Taz, Dudleys and few others were replaced with Justin Credible and lesser talent.

Same with TNA they were a hot place for top Indy talent and the X Division but shit went sideways (but that's a whole other story).

AEW have done Great so far and hope it goes on and lasts long term not just a short unique vanity project.

Could have done without Tyson but enjoyed almost everything else.

Tyson does nothing for me and the pull apart was too hey remember the attitude era? Guessing that AEW are gambling on getting mainstream attention out of it. Wonder if it was planned ages back or if the pandemic has pushed them into it.

Mox Vs. Cage has my interest but they are definitely lacking in top tier challengers right now.

The battle royal was messy but I'm on board with Jungle Boy getting a shot.

I've defended Janela in the past but the fucking state of him last night.

Is the HBO sponsorship new? Brings some cash in I guess.

Shida looked good.

Brit channeling WCW Chris Jericho with the conspiracy stuff is nice.

6.5/10.

Watchable but definitely one of the weaker episode.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I can't imagine his victim or her family would agree with that. 

I was (I thought pretty clearly, but perhaps not) referring to that in terms of possible bad press fallout from AEW booking him, because the mainstream press have largely ignored his past. Of course his victim likely sees his continued prominence as a problem, no one is suggesting otherwise. 

1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

Given the lack of main event heel challengers and his own limitations, Ambrose was always going to struggle to be in the most important storyline on the show. But fucking hell, he’s playing second fiddle to the latest amdram performance of Attitude Era Theatre.

His name isn’t Ambrose and hasn’t been for a year. Pretty strange that you are using a wrestler’s old name while bashing a promotion for being stuck in the past.

I don’t see Tyson as an attitude era guy, because he wasn’t. He had one program during the attitude era but the bloke is a boxer and mainstream star. He is probably more well known by the general public for his bit in The Hangover than his bit with Austin. Having said that they could have easily come up with some other way to kickstart a program with Jericho. Jealousy that Tyson received more mainstream attention for his part in the Cody match than the Stadium Stampede makes sense. Claiming he deserved the headlines more for his performance makes way more sense.

The FTR debut would have been way better with fans in attendance, without them they probably should have gone for something a bit bigger. Still glad to see them though. 

As a cool off show from the PPV it wasn’t too bad, they are doing a decent job of lining up their next programs 

25 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I was (I thought pretty clearly, but perhaps not) referring to that in terms of possible bad press fallout from AEW booking him, because the mainstream press have largely ignored his past. Of course his victim likely sees his continued prominence as a problem, no one is suggesting otherwise. 

I know you were, but my point is that it's not really about the bad press. 

@The Cutting Edge - As you've acknowledged, TNA is a totally different situation and so is ECW. Providing that AEW continues to have the deep pockets of the Khan family and television exposure, there's no reason why they won't be able to maintain a strong roster as time goes on. 

Edited by RedRooster

10 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

His name isn’t Ambrose and hasn’t been for a year. Pretty strange that you are using a wrestler’s old name while bashing a promotion for being stuck in the past.

I don’t see Tyson as an attitude era guy, because he wasn’t. He had one program during the attitude era but the bloke is a boxer and mainstream star. He is probably more well known by the general public for his bit in The Hangover than his bit with Austin. Having said that they could have easily come up with some other way to kickstart a program with Jericho. Jealousy that Tyson received more mainstream attention for his part in the Cody match than the Stadium Stampede makes sense. Claiming he deserved the headlines more for his performance makes way more sense.

The FTR debut would have been way better with fans in attendance, without them they probably should have gone for something a bit bigger. Still glad to see them though. 

As a cool off show from the PPV it wasn’t too bad, they are doing a decent job of lining up their next programs 

Great point. Why still call him Ambrose and then criticise recycling the past. 

Tyson is quite hot on people's lips at the moment as he has been posting workout videos and there is talk of a comeback so it is a quite apt time to get him on board. In regards to his Rape conviction, it is something he has always denied. The surrounding events to raise suspicions on the credibility of the accusations too. 

Hopefully AEW don't fall foul of bringing in mainstream stars or cross over stars and booking them stronger than their own. 

15 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

To be fair on @King Pitcos, I frequently make the same mistake with Moxley. He spent such a long time as 'Dean Ambrose' it's hard to think of him as anything but. He's effectively become 'Barry, from Eastenders'.

12 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I don’t see Tyson as an attitude era guy, because he wasn’t. He had one program during the attitude era but the bloke is a boxer and mainstream star. He is probably more well known by the general public for his bit in The Hangover than his bit with Austin.

😂😂😂😂😂

They didn’t recreate his scenes from The Hangover though, did they? The Inner Circle didn’t bring him a tiger. They recreated his encounter with Austin from Raw 22 years ago, with the motivation for it being a scene he had with Jericho on Raw 10 years ago (which was itself a recreation of his KO of Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 22 years ago).

This is the funniest “Doesn’t look like anything to me” yet.

• Paid Members

Zero interest in Mike Tyson, let alone in a main event storyline. Fuck that. At least it's pretty much certainly a one-off, short-term thing. But it really doesn't feel like it fits in with their overall tone. Part of that might be that they've done a good job of setting up their approach as being progressive, so this feels counter to that. My assumption is that he's available, around, and this is a Jericho thing (and I have no doubt Jericho will be entertaining doing it).

• Paid Members

The callback to Raw 10 years ago didn't need to be made, but that's Jericho trying to connect all the dots. I'm not going to knock him for it when continuity is often lacking in wrestling. 

Tyson is getting a lot of attention at the moment with his proposed comeback on sports radio and TV, so the timing makes sense to have him in. It'll get eyeballs on the product, but hopefully won't over stay its welcome, and gives Jericho and the Inner Circle something to do that isn't Elite related. I just hope that they keep it away from matches for the most part, no-one needs to see Belfort stiffing his way through a tag match.

1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

Could have done without Tyson but enjoyed almost everything else.

Tyson does nothing for me and the pull apart was too hey remember the attitude era? Guessing that AEW are gambling on getting mainstream attention out of it. Wonder if it was planned ages back or if the pandemic has pushed them into it.

Mox Vs. Cage has my interest but they are definitely lacking in top tier challengers right now.

The battle royal was messy but I'm on board with Jungle Boy getting a shot.

I've defended Janela in the past but the fucking state of him last night.

Is the HBO sponsorship new? Brings some cash in I guess.

Shida looked good.

Brit channeling WCW Chris Jericho with the conspiracy stuff is nice.

6.5/10.

Watchable but definitely one of the weaker episode.

HBO is owned by WarnerMedia and AT&T and run through it’s WarnerMedia Entertainment division, which also owns and operates TNT. I can’t imagine they’ll be giving any more money for a show they already have, but it widens the scope for promotion of Dynamite if nothing else.

Speaking of HBO, wasn’t there supposed to a 30 For 30 style documentary about Kenny Omega they were working on, or have I completely imagined that?

Edited by WyattSheepMask