The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I saw Ariel Helwani post a video of the likes of Tyson, Cejudo, Vitor etc making their entrance and it genuinely got me excited. Sadly, I then watch a second clip of Tyson squaring up to Jericho and that excitement fizzled to nowt. It just wasn't any good. I don't mind wee nods back to previous incidents involving performers, but this just wasn't up to much. This sort of angle, with someone like Tyson, 100% needs the audience to make it feel like a big deal, particularly as they're nodding quite heavily to one of the all-time great angles of the past (no not Jericho taking a worked punch on some random Raw). Without the crowd there it was always going to feel like a desperate rehash. A rare misfire from Jericho.

If they insist on using Tyson they should just show his terrifying workout videos.

35 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Revival debut was so shit without fans. Well, it was fine in execution, but just meant nothing without the crowd. Not their fault of course, but it’s a shame these debuts come off so much flatter  

Its going to be so great having them back. I don’t think they should save the debuts because fans will be losing their shit for everyone and everything once they can get back in. 

15 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Who sat down and said "the Butcher and the Blade would look much better if they drew out their dusty old Dory Funk hair and dressed like painter and decorators"?

Based purely on an Insta vid posted by AEW (will be watching the show later tonight), I love the new look. Hipster dicks is a much more interesting look than pleather fetishist, and the retro vibe fits in well with FTR's old school style.

The group photos are going to look like they're going to drop the hottest metalcore reunion album of 2017 (appropriate considering Butcher's background). 

• Paid Members

I thought it was a show of two halves really. Really liked Jungle Boy getting a big win. The Cody open challenge announcement should lead to some crackers and perfectly suits his character, plus should add some prestige to that title early on. Moxley/Cage is intriguing and I like Taz as a mouthpiece. And I'm liking Wardlow at the moment so the hint of dissension between him and MJF was good.

I also thought the FTR debut was good considering it lacked the pop it would've normally got. Them almost showing respect to the Bucks was a lot more interesting than flat-out attacking them, although I doubt it'll be long until we see that.

I like the Butcher and Blade makeover. They weren't doing much anyway as S&M gimps, plus 'hipsters who run a microbrewery' is a much more hateable persona.

Britt Baker will be missed if shes off TV completely until All Out, shes turning into a cracking heel. 

Some of these guys are still way too green and spot-oriented though. In that 6-man tag, Isiah seemed to completely lose where he was when his partner got hurt. It seems to me like they meticulously plan each spot of the match so that when these things happen they have no idea how to come up with something on the fly. 

Kip Sabian and that scruffy-looking cunt of a partner winning didn't make them look good, it made SCU look bad. Penelope Ford is the true star of that team by a wide margin.

I couldn't stand the main-event Tyson angle. Tyson does that thing which every celeb/real fighter who gets involved with wrestling does, where it seems they've never seen a wrestling promo before and just interrupt and talk all over the other guy to the point it just makes promos awkward. The pull-apart just looked a bit crap in general anyway too, but I could just be tired of seeing pull-aparts in every Brock Lesnar feud of the last 10 years. If anyone can make it work it's Jericho, and you can understand why they've done it, but for me it didn't work at all. The pep rally segment wasn't really that funny either considering the guys they had in there.

Hikaru Shida being so good makes you wonder why they went with Riho so hard in the first place. If Kenny was so desperate to have a Japanese lass be first champ, Shida is ten times better than Riho. 

Sorry, that turned into a right ramble.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

There’s a lot of goofy shit in AEW. Like, a lot. It’s funny and entertaining which is great. But too much of the show is goofy haha stuff that I don’t think helps with the broader appeal of the show .

Not arsed about The Blade, he’s solid enough but has been around for years and never been much really but am I alone in thinking The Butcher has something as a singles act? Probably with the right manager.

Looks pretty hard, a bit of a throwback. Him vs Hangman for example is something I’d be well onboard with.

One thing I was confused with was they just had a match on the pre show at Double or Nothing for the no1 contendership to the Tag Titles which Best Friends won yet on this episode there was a match for a Tag Team Title shot next week so in effect a no 1 contenders match which Jimmy Havoc and Kip Sabian won.

Did someone forget they allready determined Challengers to the title just 4 days before?

Agree Yakashi, too much goofing off up and down the card for me. None of the programs are hot and haven't felt like it since Revolution. That's not to say Inner Circle aren't great, they're massively entertaining and the weekly highlight of Dynamite. But I'm not gonna shell out money to watch them on PPV. Especially not when Mike Tyson and his goons are involved.

But Hager's poem? Ortiz's "WHAT!?" Gold.

FTR coming in could be a shot in the arm though. They looked cool as fuck on their debut. Way cooler than Stone Cold Cody in his van the other week. Hopefully the post-match angle signals Matt Hardy is breaking away from The Elite and mixing it up with the undercard guys for a bit. The Elites relationship was the best thing going on before Hardy took center stage and mucked it all up. 

Battle Royal was a state but it was good seeing Sonny Kiss again. Don't watch Dark, has he improved? Thought his flash of offence was pretty exciting here. Grit my teeth at the thought of good ol' JR calling his matches though.

I'm probably the outlier on Hikaru Shida in that I find her completely bland as a worker. It's a shame because I thought Nyla Rose was growing into her role as the monster champion pretty well. But if it's to transition the belt onto Britt Baker then I'm all for it.

So far it does feel like Moxley is getting the short end of the stick while Jericho and the EVPs get to play with all the toys. Hot-shotting monster of the week types isn't a terrible idea but it doesn't make for the most compelling feuds. I'm beginning to think MJF was the original plan for Mox but they're  holding it off until the crowds come back. 

Seemed to tease Orange Cassidy vs Chris Jericho. That not happening in front of a white hot crowd would be absolutely tragic.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

Obviously a lot of  purist wrestling fans aren't gonna like the Jericho/Tyson stuff but I'm all for it if done right. I like one off spectacles in my wrestling every now and again and the mainstream publicity could do wonders for a new company like AEW. They'd have been daft not to do something if he's willing.

Thought it was a good show to be fair, more angle driven than anything but that's fine. The Revival are pretty much my favourite tag team so very excited to see them in a stacked tag division

Edited by AndyUK

53 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

One thing I was confused with was they just had a match on the pre show at Double or Nothing for the no1 contendership to the Tag Titles which Best Friends won yet on this episode there was a match for a Tag Team Title shot next week so in effect a no 1 contenders match which Jimmy Havoc and Kip Sabian won.

Did someone forget they allready determined Challengers to the title just 4 days before?

I think one is for a title shot and the other is for number one contender. If they are going to layer it that way it should be better explained. I might be wrong but from the looks of it that seems to be the situation. 
Stacking it up like that is probably a way to keep Bucks and FTR out the title scene for a bit 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

I'm sure one of the announcers said Best Friends face the winners of next weeks match at Fyter Fest.

@Mr Butternut Squash Your post just reminded me that during the battle royale JR called Sonny Kiss 'she'.