The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Writing as I watch.

Ladder match:

I've never found a ladder match so boring.

Why does everyone wrestle like generic indy guy #4, even the big guys are doing front flips, backflips, for some reason every wrestler in this match has some kind of spinning kick or super kick.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Jungle boy vs. whashisface

These guys felt like a couple of lower/mid card wrestlers but it went on so long it. A lot of it was the typical indy match and as such it has the traits of such. Everything looking cheorographed, big moves, flips, everyone kicking out of each others finishers, kicking out of potential finishers or whatever. It wouldn't be a typical indy match without someone working a limb only to have it cost them the finish at some point. Much alike the first match it went on too long, they did so many crazy moves and I'm all big moved out two matches into this show, calm it clown lads.

Side note: We're two fights in and theres been like 12 kip ups this event.

Cody Rhodes vs. Lance Archer:

An actual pro wrestling match, not a stunt show, not a cheorographed dance of crazy moves and flips. Just a decent big-man/smaller-man match where Cody was figuring out how to hurt him. Cody did an awesome job making the big man look dangerous, he didn't need to do a bunch of crazy spots, no superkicks, no kip ups, just a decent pro wrestling match that told a story.

Womens match

If nothing else, they performed the moves well for non-Japanese women.

Golddust vs. Opponent

Just a squash but there's something apparent about the difference between the Rhodes boys and everyone else so far. The Rhodes lads probably spent their whole life learning from the greats, their dad, Arn, Flair etc. While everyone else learned from the internet or their local talent. Thats why Rhodes boys have an ability to do more with less and don't seem to undervalue the impact of big moves for themselves and everyone else on the card. Their shit doesn't look cheorographed either.

Big Woman vs. Japanese girl

The Japanese girl is called the hottest women in all of wrestling in the promo package, I'd give her a 7/10 myself. 

This was a good match, went on too long but still entertaining, Shida made it look like a fight and the big girl moved well for a big girl.

Dean Ambrose vs. Luke Harper

Decent match. I'm not too farmilliar with these gentlemen but I've seen them before in the E. I didn't think too much back then but they seem to know how to have a good brawl. Harper kicking out of finishes did more to make him look like a monster than it devalued Ambroses ability to finish. 

Main event

Imagine if the MITB at Titan Towers wasn't shot like a bad student film, had actual funny moments and wasn't entirely cringe worthy. Thats this. It's still a pretty dumb concept but this is actually done well. It was creative, the wrestling itself in the match was good, the spots were wild, unpredictable and you don't get this feeling of dread that you're watching a bunch of Mcmahon slaves forced to embarrass themselves for the writing teams entertainment. Seriously, it's been years since I enjoyed a match this much. I wanted to shit on it but I can't, it really was that much fun.

Overall it's far better than any WWE I've watched lately, the indy style of some matches isn't to my taste(like at all) but it got less and less 'indy' as the show went on. Overrall I was entertained, I might actually keep watching. It's quite evident how much the 'crowd' make a match, even if they're paid to cheer. 

Edited by Benoitmark

3 minutes ago, Benoitmark said:

Writing as I watch.

Ladder match:

I've never found a ladder match so boring.

Why does everyone wrestle like generic indy guy #4, even the big guys are doing front flips, backflips, for some reason every wrestler in this match has some kind of spinning kick or super kick.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Jungle boy vs. whashisface

These guys felt like a couple of lower/mid card wrestlers but it went on so long it. A lot of it was the typical indy match and as such it has the traits of such. Everything looking cheorographed, big moves, flips, everyone kicking out of each others finishers, kicking out of potential finishers or whatever. It wouldn't be a typical indy match without someone working a limb only to have it cost them the finish at some point. Much alike the first match it went on too long, they did so many crazy moves and I'm all big moved out two matches into this show, calm it clown lads.

Side note: We're two fights in and theres been like 12 kip ups this event.

Cody Rhodes vs. Lance Archer:

Something resembling an actual pro wrestling match. Just a decent big-man/smaller-man match where Cody was figuring out how to hurt him. Cody did an awesome job making the big man look dangerous, he didn't need to do a bunch of crazy spots, no superkicks, no kip ups, just a decent pro wrestling match that told a story.

Womens match

If nothing else, they performed the moves well for non-Japanese women.

Golddust vs. Opponent

Just a squash but there's something apparent about the difference between the Rhodes boys and everyone else so far. The Rhodes lads probably spent their whole life learning from the greats, their dad, Arn, Flair etc. While everyone else learned from the internet or their local talent. Thats why Rhodes boys have an ability to do more with less and don't seem to undervalue the impact of big moves for themselves and everyone else on the card. Their shit doesn't look cheorographed either.

Big Woman vs. Japanese girl

The Japanese girl is called the hottest women in all of wrestling in the promo package, I'd give her a 7/10 myself. 

This was a good match, went on too long but still entertaining, Shida made it look like a fight and the big girl moved well for a big girl.

Dean Ambrose vs. Luke Harper

Decent match. I'm not too farmilliar with these gentlemen but I've seen them before in the E. I didn't think too much back then but they seem to know how to have a good brawl. Harper kicking out of finishes did more to make him look like a monster than it devalued Ambroses ability to finish. 

Main event

Imagine if the MITB at Titan Towers wasn't shot like a bad student film, had actual funny moments and wasn't entirely cringe worthy. Thats this. It's still a pretty dumb concept but this is actually done well. It was creative, the wrestling itself in the match was good, the spots were wild, unpredictable and you don't get this feeling of dread that you're watching a bunch of Mcmahon slaves forced to embarrass themselves for the writing teams entertainment. Seriously, it's been years since I enjoyed a match this much. I wanted to shit on it but I can't, it really was that much fun.

Overall it's far better than any WWE I've watched lately, the indy style of some matches isn't to my taste(like at all) but it got less and less 'indy' as the show went on. Overrall I was entertained, I might actually keep watching. It's quite evident how much the 'crowd' make a match, even if they're paid to cheer. 

Im sure you were going for comedy, but this was pretty shit. The ‘pretending you don’t know people’s names/using old names’ gimmick when you clearly know everyone’s name is a weird spot.

4 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Im sure you were going for comedy, but this was pretty shit. The ‘pretending you don’t know people’s names/using old names’ gimmick when you clearly know everyone’s name is a weird spot.

I think he's trying to be cornette, but if cornette actually had a rage stroke.... 

31 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

I was dreading the broken matt stuff anyway, but the fact that no one there had the foresight to think that holding a man underwater after shad gaspard drowned was a bad idea tells me that eventually, these lads are going to self masturbate themselves into oblivion... 

The drowning scene bit was stupid, but it’s a bit of a leap to take one portion of an otherwise strong PPV and say something like that.

I loved this show, although I wish they’d cut a few matches to trim the length a little. 

I was very surprised at the Shida win. Nyla is really entertaining and I was looking forward to seeing her have a dominant run with the belt. Rose/Swole seemed like an obvious place to go, but we’ll see what they have planned. As long as they keep Statlander away from the title scene. Her gimmick is the absolute worst. That said, if they repackage her and turn her heel, she could be of high value to the women’s division.

My experience of Brian Cage is limited, but he looked good in this match and the pairing with Tazz is interesting. Presumably his first feud will be with Darby, and that should be fun.

It’s amazing how deep the men’s roster has become since Dynamite debuted. There are so many interesting potential match and feud combinations right now.

Clearly Matt Hardy can be of value to the company, but not in his current gimmick. It really is terrible. I hope they recognise this, and he’s not too stubborn to change things up.

Finally, if Sammy doesn’t clean house in the next UKFF Awards we’ve all gone insane. 

• Paid Members

Sammy Guevara has gone from being someone I was sure was going to be dreadful in the company and not fit in with some of the more known names to my favourite part of every broadcast. 

Him, MJF and Jungle Boy could together be three guys in coming years we're talking about as the top 3 guys in the company, maybe even wrestling as a whole. If Sammy and Jungle Boy can add mass (they're both still young) the sky's the limit for them. 

• Paid Members

Fantastic show. As good as you could do with nobody there. They should have wrestlers in the front row all the time, when crowds come back. The shots of random wrestling personalities had me chuckling throughout. Seeing Vickie Guerrero and Billy Gunn and his son reacting to stuff was great. And some of them got so into it, you'd imagine if you were a fan sitting next to them, you'd join in and make it a hot atmosphere.

I'm ashamed to say this because they were two of my favourites for years, but Arn and Jake are well past it. They looked like Paul and Barry Chuckle doing Captain Hook at your empire. So disappointing.

10 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

The drowning scene bit was stupid, but it’s a bit of a leap to take one portion of an otherwise strong PPV and say something like that.

I loved this show, although I wish they’d cut a few matches to trim the length a little.

It's becoming more and more obvious that lads have more creative control than wwe, and while lads like mjf and sammy have benefited, there's little bits of the bad bte/broken verse stuff creeping in (I also hated the 100 yard northern but more in a kitsch way) I just think there needs to be a sheriff behind the scenes who knows when to give up the leash and when to pull it back, otherwise any forward progress will be destroyed. 

• Paid Members

Tyson yawning on camera was hilarious. 

I didn't watch all of it but what I did I mostly liked.

The ladder match was the shits for the most part. Glad Cage has been brought in but don't think he needs Taz hanging about him.

Cody/Archer was really good and it's also miraculous how much better JR is on commentary when he's got a traditional wrestling story/psychology to sink his teeth into. He added a lot to the match. 

Womens title match was the only womens match in AEW I've ever enjoyed.

Mox/Brodie was good and hard hitting. Really loved the ending. I feel if Mox had also got some colour early on it would have made the match more intense but that's a small quibble. Just made me want to see the Bruiser Brody esque Brodie Lee we've all wanted to see rather than this Dark Order shite.

Stadium Stampede was perfect. One of the most fun matches ever. If I was 11 this would be my favourite match of all time. Everyone got over and looked great. Filled with great moments that fit the characters. Compare this to Money In The Bank where everyone involved came out looking like a fucking idiot. This was proper feel good stuff.

34 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Even more naff when he refers to Shida as "Japanese Girl" like he doesn't know who she is only to use her name later anyway.

Consistency lad, consistency.

I haven't seen much of AEW (the PPVs, the occasional show) but after seeing the response the main event got, checked this and the ladder match out (no interest in any of the rest to be honest).

Ladder match was OK, but had some drizzling shit bits (Jimmy Havoc, Kip Sabian, that stupid fucking Darby Allin spot with the skateboard). First time seeing Brian Cage; Jesus, what a Roidy Magoo.

The main event was just superb. I initially couldn't stand Guevara and Page when I first saw them a few months back, but they were incredible here. 

Everyone played their part well, Jericho especially ("YOU'RE A SHITTY REF!!!") and the swimming pool spot was tone deaf, but I don't think anything more than that.

The most jarring thing was the commentators on more than one occasion being a bit overly sexy with Page's horse ("I think we want to steer clear of the whole area of being in love with the horse"). It was a bit weird.

But yeah, what a load of fun that was.

34 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

It's becoming more and more obvious that lads have more creative control than wwe, and while lads like mjf and sammy have benefited, there's little bits of the bad bte/broken verse stuff creeping in (I also hated the 100 yard northern but more in a kitsch way) I just think there needs to be a sheriff behind the scenes who knows when to give up the leash and when to pull it back, otherwise any forward progress will be destroyed. 

There is, Tony Khan. 

AEW has already shown they’ll either pull back on or completely change things that aren’t working. The Nightmare Collective, babyface Brit Baker, the ‘comedy’ pre-shows. The evidence actually points to the opposite of what you’re suggesting.

Edited by RedRooster