The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

6 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I think it is entirely possible for them to bring Hangman back now, allow him to be great in the current landscape and build something huge for when fans start coming back. He has already been great in the little I’ve seen of him with the Dynamite style stay at home video and deciding to live in a forest. 
Saying that, I don’t know if he will be back with the rest of the Elite yet. Hardy is probably going to be on that team, so either Nick is still injured or Hangman isn’t coming to fight with his mates 

Me reading between the lines at my own imagination here, but with the big Elite match at Double or Nothing being the Stadium STAMPEDE and Jericho's challenge to the Elite to "get their SHIT together" , I reckon Page is coming back at the PPV, especially with Madd Hardy possibly out due to being heartbroken at the loss of Vanguard 1.

Enjoyed what I've seen so far from this weeks episode.

• Jake is brilliant in his role as gravel-voiced, angry veteran. I'm still not fully sold on Archer. He looks great when battering folks but he's really clunky when selling and particularly when he's having moves reversed, it just doesn't look smooth. Stone Cold Cody Rhodes with his taped fists was funnier than it should have been aswell.
  • Thought the tag match was great. I'm still not the biggest fan of Best Friends (not counting Orange Cassidy who I love) but they came off really well here. I liked the car crash finish, JR still putting Jungle Boy over strong even though he took the pin. Wardlow smashing Marko in to the barrier was fucking hilarious.
  • No idea why they've spunked Rey and Orange Cassidy on next weeks episode following the interference spot in the tag match considering they're both in the ladder match. Would it not have made more sense to have had Rey in a singles match next episode, maybe against a jobber or lower card guy and Orange interferes to cause him to lose. Would have at least added a bit more heat and side story going in to the ladder match.
  • Four way was one of the more enjoyable women's matches they've put on, based solely on the fact that I made it through the whole thing without fast forwarding. I really want to see them put the belt on Britt Baker, I think she'd be a cracking cocky heel champ.
  • Tag team feature was quality. Good way of filling time on these shows, highlights that they have a genuinely good tag division and keeps Hangman fresh in peoples minds.
  • Didn't enjoy Hardy/ Omega vs Santana/ Ortiz, more down to the former than anything. Really started to zone out.
  • Neckbrace Sammy hobbling out was amazing. What a brilliant twat he is.
  • Thought Sugar Dunkerton looked good and it was nice to see him get that bit of shine. Shame he looked weak as fuck just laying there whilst Jericho shrugged him off in his promo afterwards and was more interested in talking to a drone.
Edited by cobra_gordo

8 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I'd imagine Nick Jackson is 100% now and should be at Double or Nothing, so Matt Hardy will pretty much take Codys place in the Elite vs Inner Circle feud.

Ah yeah that makes loads more sense for Hardy to take Cody’s place. Completely slipped my mind that he would be the busy one 

• Paid Members

The Pineapple Pete payoff was a shame - he's REALLY likeable, and it would have been nice to see him get more. My guess is that this was a favour more than anything, but I'd be up for more. The pre-match video package with him was great too. 

Rey's kick on Orange Cassidy was amazing. Looked like he took his head off.

As @cobra_gordo said, Neckbrace Sammy is incredible. I couldn't stand Guevara at first, but he's become a highlight. Jericho has clearly told him that dignity is overrated, and he's entirely right. The worst run-in in history, and just brilliant for it. I laughed so hard at that.

The women's division feels like it's improving. They've done good work with everyone involved - Penelope ford is a little green, and a half-step off, but she's improving fast. Britt Baker being heel has made a huge difference.

I really want a 'repaired' Vanguard One, with bandages holding him together, to turn up soon. Jericho/Vanguard One is a feud for the ages.

8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

As @cobra_gordo said, Neckbrace Sammy is incredible. I couldn't stand Guevara at first, but he's become a highlight. Jericho has clearly told him that dignity is overrated, and he's entirely right. The worst run-in in history, and just brilliant for it. I laughed so hard at that.

From the bits I've seen you can tell Jericho is living vicariously through Guevara [and I mean that in a good way] in the things he has him do.
Great stuff.

11 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The Pineapple Pete payoff was a shame - he's REALLY likeable, and it would have been nice to see him get more. My guess is that this was a favour more than anything, but I'd be up for more. The pre-match video package with him was great too. 

The women's division feels like it's improving. They've done good work with everyone involved - Penelope ford is a little green, and a half-step off, but she's improving fast. Britt Baker being heel has made a huge difference.

I really want a 'repaired' Vanguard One, with bandages holding him together, to turn up soon. Jericho/Vanguard One is a feud for the ages.

I don't mind Jericho killing Pete with one move after giving him a bunch of fire. Pete looked good and built on the angle and the promo, and Jericho looked a bastard, as well as a cut above him in the pecking order, which he should be. I'd now love them to keep Pineapple Pete on as a colourful jobber. AEW needs more of those. At the moment, it feels like Marko is the one taking the brunt of the squashes. You've also got QT's trainees, but they're mostly green as grass, without a character and audience connection. Much better to have a heel hammer someone the fans like, instead of a no-name. Pineapple Pete's first TV win could be amazing.

The father/son dynamic of Jericho and Sammy is so, so good. Jericho knows that everyone being a badass is bullshit, knows when to ham things up or show ass, and is clearly imparting all that knowledge and experience to young Guevara. Having a rubbish run-in was such a good switch - another example of how easy it is subvert your expectations in the little things, in the language and kayfabery of wrestling. Yeah, Sammy's a little shit, and e's gonna try to cheat to help his mates, but he got run over by a fucking golf cart last week!

Women's division is fine regarding characters but still feels ropey in ring. Too much stalling still, huddled over waiting for the next thing, but with enough bright spots to keep me off the fast-forward button. Hate myself for finding Shida did some light gravure. Only I don't.

Looking forward to a dark, angry Vanguard 1 wearing LOD spikes to chase Jericho around the Stampede at DoN.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, buba3d said:

seem to remember on the Tuesday live tv (topless darts, tiffs big city tips, russ the bouncy weatherman that channel) itn news, cnn and sky sports news talking about it, then after wm14 i seem to recall the daily record (2nd edition) and the sun (near the back page) had it in the paper

Every national newspaper except possibly the FT had something on WrestleMania 14. Most if not all sent a reporter to cover it live.

51 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Rey's kick on Orange Cassidy was amazing. Looked like he took his head off.

Orange Cassidy's selling is seriously underrated. Any time he's attacked he manages to make it look as we've just witnessed a murder. 

Even when they're back to having fans at shows Shawn Spears needs to be in the crowd doing daft things the camera picks up on, he's hysterical. 

Also that women's four way was the best match on the show, didn't think they had it in them but I really enjoyed it.

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members

These shows aren't half as good without Jericho on commentary. Still manage to be a lot more watchable than WWE's during the lockdown though.

Enjoyed the silliness of the Inner Circle beating down Vanguard, but would have liked it if the thing had given them the runaround for a little while first!

• Paid Members

If it's true that Sting is no longer under WWE contract, I really hope they've not had Jericho start wielding a bat so down the line Sting can come in and even the odds with a bat of his own. Because that would be TNA all over and I can genuinely see them doing it.

1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

If it's true that Sting is no longer under WWE contract, I really hope they've not had Jericho start wielding a bat so down the line Sting can come in and even the odds with a bat of his own. Because that would be TNA all over and I can genuinely see them doing it.

Why is it ‘TNA all over’? Was it ‘TNA all over’ when he strolled down to the ring at Survivor Series to confront Triple H?

• Paid Members

The lure of Sting coming in to do title matches and special one offs with Triple H was made more special because he showed up in special circumstances, had an aura to him and they played up the history. 

TNA had him go crazy, become their authority figure and go around pretending to be the Joker, had him wrestling seemingly every week in a T shirt and had him talk more in 2 or 3 years and lose the mysticism behind his character and the brooding nature of it than he did for seemingly 15 years collectively before it. 

I guess that would be the worry of TNA'ing it. That within three weeks of being in the company he'd be an over 60 year old wrestling matches against Evil Uno or Jimmy Havoc and Kip Sabian.

Personally, itd be good to have him around, there's a lot of young guys who could benefit from his experience, and people like Darby Allin could go even further with advice on character and presentation and stuff. 

Edited by Shy Dad