The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Isn’t the 90 days just if they appear anywhere else their wwe pay stops? Gulak contract ran out, so no 90 days 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

If you like promos filled with metaphors, Hangman Page does a fucking blinder on BTE this week.

This is following the fun set-up the previous week, when he went out to live in the woods at first.

"There's nobody out here! I can say anything! Look - BOOBS! ....or ...I'M AFRAID I'LL NEVER ACHIEVE THE SUCCESS OF MY PEERS AND LET DOWN MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY!"

Hangman has been bloody brilliant lately on BTE. A wrestler being worried that their career won’t get back on it’s hot streak after coronavirus shelving everything is such an organic and endearing story.

Would like to see Jericho really stick the knife in with that. As someone already established enough to not be effected, he has actually proved himself even more valuable during this period. Jericho can mock Page saying that the run of his career was cut short and that he’ll never achieve the same heights. The payoff would be an arena full of fans losing their shit for him for a feel good moment 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Awards Moderator

I’d have liked some of this excellent sounding Hangman stuff to have actually turned up on their TV show. Hangman’s barely been referenced on Dynamite despite having been the best thing on it for a while, it would have been nice to use what he’s been doing. And yes yes, I know, lots of people watch BTE. But I don’t. I watch Dynamite. Put this on there!

Just now, HarmonicGenerator said:

I’d have liked some of this excellent sounding Hangman stuff to have actually turned up on their TV show. Hangman’s barely been referenced on Dynamite despite having been the best thing on it for a while, it would have been nice to use what he’s been doing. And yes yes, I know, lots of people watch BTE. But I don’t. I watch Dynamite. Put this on there!

This is probably one of my biggest problems with AEW (and WWE a lot of the time). I know it's 2020 and their online presence is really important, but it's a real struggle trying to keep up with shows and then online spinoffs or additional footage etc. Especially when the 'other' stuff is often better than the actual product they choose to put on TV.

• Paid Members

Is it really a 'real struggle'? There's Being The Elite and the AEW Youtube channel for extra matches and hype packages. There's nothing essential in any of it - they sometimes reference it, they sometimes don't.

They've integrated more of the hype packages into the TV show, which has been a big improvement. But Being The Elite has always been its own thing, with the people involved doing their own thing. With all the whining on here about wrestlers doing too much of their own thing, the answer clearly isn't to just let them do that either. 

The current week-to-week stories on BTE are things like the Bucks seeing 'FTR' everywhere, Matt Jackson 'blading' to get out of having to do things, Hangman Page getting drunk and living in the woods, and Private Party being jumped by a teddy bear. They're mostly self-taped on phones. It's a cheap and cheerful variety show, which is seriously hit and miss. Some use it to be silly and have fun, and others use it to add deeper elements to their characters.

You couldn't have Hangman Page doing a long, rambly promo on his phone with terrible sound quality* on the regular show. They aren't able to get the crew out there to do it properly regularly either. They struggled to do skits well on the show with a decent crew, and it'd be really difficult to use it to build to anything, especially when they taped a month's worth of stuff in advance.

As it is, Dynamite is live, focused on the arena, with occasional hype packages. Dark is their B-show. They do countdown stuff on the AEW channel, and BTE is sketches and silliness. That's not a bad approach, overall.

* To be fair, the following message showed up at the start of the promo, which made me laugh: 
"Warning: look guys there's going to be some wind sounds ok, I can't do anything about it. I'm not God. I cannot stop the wind. I also can't buy a little microphone for my phone because amazon doesn't exactly ship to wherever the hell in the woods I am. So really you'll just have to deal with it I guess. If it's the worst thing to happen to you this week consider yourself lucky because I got to be good friends with a turtle that I had caught but I then had to kill and eat him because I think I might be starting to starve to death out here."

Tony Schiavone is one of my favourite things in aew. Covers several roles across the shows and online work, and just has that energy you can tell he’s enjoying being there. Such a contrast to grumpy JR, and gives a fresh voice that doesn’t make it sound like a late 00’s smackdown. 

4 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Is Hangman Page part of the stadium stampede match?

Seems like a waste bringing him back for that if so.

It’s one of the marquee matches on their biggest show of the year filled with a lot of their key players. Doesn’t seem like a waste at all