The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

2 hours ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Even when they're back to having fans at shows Shawn Spears needs to be in the crowd doing daft things the camera picks up on, he's hysterical. 

I agree. They might have tried to do the "serious badass heel" thing with him, but these quarantine shows have demonstrated that that doesn't work for everyone. He's got far more charisma and energy as the arrogant motormouth goofball he clearly is, on one hand making dumb bets with his peers both in and out of matches, the next bigging up his low angle turnbuckle camera shot as "the money". In fact, that might be a decent gimmick for him to come back with, saving his "Chairman" persona as a 'dark side' type deal for him ongoing. He could have so many fun mini feuds with loads of the roster based on these last few weeks.

3 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

The lure of Sting coming in to do title matches and special one offs with Triple H was made more special because he showed up in special circumstances, had an aura to him and they played up the history. 

TNA had him go crazy, become their authority figure and go around pretending to be the Joker, had him wrestling seemingly every week in a T shirt and had him talk more in 2 or 3 years and lose the mysticism behind his character and the brooding nature of it than he did for seemingly 15 years collectively before it. 

I guess that would be the worry of TNA'ing it. That within three weeks of being in the company he'd be an over 60 year old wrestling matches against Evil Uno or Jimmy Havoc and Kip Sabian.

Personally, itd be good to have him around, there's a lot of young guys who could benefit from his experience, and people like Darby Allin could go even further with advice on character and presentation and stuff. 

That’s not what he said though, and if it’s what he meant I think it’s incredibly presumptuous. AEW’s presentation of legends isn’t remotely comparable to TNA’s, and the two products are quite different. Plus it’s very unlikely he’d be full time. 

And if you want to talk history, there’s certainly something special about Sting appearing on a TNT wrestling show once again.

I don’t see any problem with AEW signing Sting. If it ends up being a bit shit it won’t be because he was in TNA at one time.

Edited by RedRooster

:laugh: The thought of Sting vs Jimmy Havoc! 

I thought Sting's in ring days were done? They seem to be doing a gimmick where Dary Allin is getting lectured by Tazz and the old lot. Maybe Sting comes in to mentor him until he's match ready.

Agreed on Shawn Spears. Got no idea what the fuck he was doing on Dark all those months but its loosened him up significantly. Found him quite entertaining during the empty arena era, even in matches.

If they do bring in Sting I reckon it would just be like what they did with DDP, in an easy tag as a nostalgia act and not an old man who can batter most the roster. They’ve handled DDP excellently as an old timer so I don’t have any worries about Sting. I don’t think they’ll be having him challenging for the belt, but they could probably have him smack Sammy about a bit 

2 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I'm torn on it tbh. On the one hand it would reek of TNA but on the other hand it's Jericho and Sting in 2020. They don't ever need to have a match but I'm sure the interactions would be great.

I'm not sure about that, give me them pair in a match over watching Trent vs Sabian for 20 minutes

9 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

I'm not sure about that, give me them pair in a match over watching Trent vs Sabian for 20 minutes

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE for them to actually wrestle! I just think at this point Stings body likely isn't up to it, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Why is it ‘TNA all over’? Was it ‘TNA all over’ when he strolled down to the ring at Survivor Series to confront Triple H?

I mean if the whole reason the've had Jericho start using a bat is so Sting can point his bat at Jericho next month and the Inner Circle start shitting it, leading to bat vs bat shenanigans, that just reeks of TNA and the whole Barbie/Janice wank they used to do. 

Plus I just find Sting a bit rubbish so I'd rather he wasn't in the only promotion I really watch at all.

1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I mean if the whole reason the've had Jericho start using a bat is so Sting can point his bat at Jericho next month and the Inner Circle start shitting it, leading to bat vs bat shenanigans, that just reeks of TNA and the whole Barbie/Janice wank they used to do. 

Plus I just find Sting a bit rubbish so I'd rather he wasn't in the only promotion I really watch at all.

I think comparing Sting now to the Sting we’ve seen in recent years is a perfectly legitimate thing to do, but I think people are very quick to throw the TNA slur at AEW and it isn’t a fair thing to do. They’re both, for better or worse, very different presentations of wrestling.

Planting seeds to tease a potential signing is quite cool, I really like that. If anything it’s very similar to the kind of thing Jericho has done in WWE in the past with ‘SAVE US Y2J’ etc. 

I don't have half the issues most people seem to have with the Dark Order. I think it's heading in the right direction gradually. With Stu and Uno MIA it took a hit but they quickly introduced the '10' character bestowed upon a local guy (Preston Vance) they thought had potential and gave him some wins on Dark. He's been protected from the usual minion beatdowns. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the rub over Moxley next week either with Brodie costing him the match before the title bout. We already know the identities of two other mask guys and they can be enhanced when they return. I think I would just like to see maybe two other known names unmask at some point and then you have a reasonable stable to start having many different matches with whom I would assume would be The Elite after the feud with Jericho's lot takes a break.

My assumption is Pineapple Pete will revert back to Suge D properly and at some point defeat Jericho. I thought they'd have a rematch at the PPV for this until they announced the Stampede match. He's got some mileage in him despite this relatively quick loss.

@Philjax You honestly think Moxley’s first singles loss is going to be in a Russo-style ‘guy costs his opponent the win’ straight out of the 2000s? No way is Moxley losing to some guy in a mask, his first singles defeat has to mean something to elevate the guy who beats him. He’s their biggest star whose name isn’t Chris Jericho

Edited by WyattSheepMask