Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
11 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

im fairly certain the a picture of the "punch" Tyson landed on Michaels was on either the front or back page over here of one of the tabloids.

Yeah probably was that, I remember it being the Mirror anyway 

  • Paid Members
Posted

WWF got huge press for Tyson. They were courting negative publicity then though. They used him far more recently when he decked Chris Jericho.

Tyson's an accepted mainstream celeb. I'm not sure he should be but he is. Wrestling companies don't deserve grief for having him on anymore than the other sports shows, chat shows and movies get (or don't). 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

How many times do we need to bring up all the WWE wrestlers charged/arrested with crimes, sexual assault, murder...

 

Edited by Pogue
Misread the quoted post
  • Paid Members
Posted

I dont think was a sportsman, actor or even wrestler that was more perfect to bring into the WWF in the Spring on 1998 than Mike Tyson. Talk about fucking planets aligning. One of the biggest names in sport, who was banned for biting someones ear off and Stone Cold Steve Austin on the rise. If Tyson came in a year later or even the same time in WCW, I dont know if it would have had the same effect. That was just unbelievable timing. Cant stress how big it was at the time. Tyson wasnt like Fury or Joshua, who are big stars, granted. Tyson was like the person everyone had an opinion on. A proper household name.

Posted
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Wrestling companies don't deserve grief for having him on anymore than the other sports shows, chat shows and movies get (or don't). 

They all deserve the same amount of grief.

Posted
4 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Harper’s playing a different character though. Yes, the character is Vince McMahon, but it’s still different from Luke Harper.

To me it very much feels like Bradshaw switching to JBL in 2004 WWE right down to the out-of-nowhere world title shot, although JBL was a far better character than ‘Mr’ Brodie Lee. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against AEW picking up WWE cast-offs. Rusev would be a great addition to the roster, and The Revival and Gallows & Anderson would be great additions too, particularly if the latter two were able to translate their real life personalities to the screen.

I just don’t feel like the majority of ex-WWE wrestlers that they’ve signed so far actually add much to Dynamite, and have mostly shown why they didn’t amount to anything in WWE.

There are exceptions. Obviously Jericho has been a revelation. Moxley, as Ambrose-like as he’s been, has clear value. Trent has been good, and Shawn Spears has been far better than I ever thought he could be. 

On the other hand, I find Matt Hardy hard to watch. The gimmick is just bad. Hager is fine as a non-wrestling member of The Inner Circle, but once he steps in the ring you realise he’s as mediocre as he ever was. Brodie Lee is good in ring, but his live mic work has been shaky at best and his character is crap. I just don’t enjoy watching him, and there aren’t any Brodie Lee feuds or matches I want to see in AEW right now.

Perhaps a repackage would sort him out, but as it stands Lee and The Dark Order are as show-ruining as The Nightmare Collective for me. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
28 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Tyson’s alright, but I’m already looking forward to the Kid Rock appearance at Double or Nothing 2022. 

I'm most looking forward to the 2024 Tony Kahn vs Donald Trump in the battle of the Billionaires hair vs hair match with Wardlow and Hager representing respectively. 

Posted
52 minutes ago, ElCece said:

I'm most looking forward to the 2024 Tony Kahn vs Donald Trump in the battle of the Billionaires hair vs hair match with Wardlow and Hager representing respectively. 

Imagine the shitfit Vince would throw, he’d be burning effigies of DT on Raw. Could happen as well! Jericho and the Khans are mates with the Trumps. Although I reckon with Donald’s ego, he’d want to be battling George Sr rather than Nerdy Gob.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Selfishly, I don’t want Adam Page to return until they get fans back. Even if it takes a year or two, I want him to sit at home and wait for that big return.

My favourite thing in wrestling is when something clicks and guys start building momentum and organically getting over. Hangman felt like he was right on the cusp of that before all this shit happened. That subtly teased Buckshot Lariat on Omega was one of the best spots in years as well.

He felt so close to becoming their first real homegrown star that it’ll feel like a waste if he returns to the sound of Billy Gunn and his son cheering. It deserves the massive ovation. The Elite are getting destroyed somewhere down the line, his music hits, huge pop, he saves the day, knocks out Matt Jackson regardless and then sips beers with everyone. Fuck yeah.

Edited by Supremo
Posted

@Supremo it sounds like you are too accustomed to WWE ruining anything they have their hands on by not wanting Page to come back yet. I think it is entirely possible for them to bring Hangman back now, allow him to be great in the current landscape and build something huge for when fans start coming back. He has already been great in the little I’ve seen of him with the Dynamite style stay at home video and deciding to live in a forest. 
They can hold off on Blood And Guts for when fans are back, and have him come out as the last entrant and the roof will blow off. 
Saying that, I don’t know if he will be back with the rest of the Elite yet. Hardy is probably going to be on that team, so either Nick is still injured or Hangman isn’t coming to fight with his mates 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'd imagine Nick Jackson is 100% now and should be at Double or Nothing, so Matt Hardy will pretty much take Codys place in the Elite vs Inner Circle feud.

Posted
7 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

WWF got huge press for Tyson. They were courting negative publicity then though. They used him far more recently when he decked Chris Jericho.

Tyson's an accepted mainstream celeb. I'm not sure he should be but he is. Wrestling companies don't deserve grief for having him on anymore than the other sports shows, chat shows and movies get (or don't). 

seem to remember on the Tuesday live tv (topless darts, tiffs big city tips, russ the bouncy weatherman that channel) itn news, cnn and sky sports news talking about it, then after wm14 i seem to recall the daily record (2nd edition) and the sun (near the back page) had it in the paper

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...