The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It's a fine balance. Guys like Moxley and Jericho are bonafide top guys anywhere, so they don't feel like cast-offs - least of all Moxley, who very publicly chose to leave WWE and to come to AEW, so that gives them major kudos.

The sweet spot is taking someone that was underutilised in WWE and making them a star elsewhere, to create a real sense of, "they didn't know what they had with this guy". But if you fuck that up, and they don't deliver, you end up making it look like a guy who was a nobody in WWE is good enough to be a somebody in your promotion, which makes you look weaker by comparison - TNA made that mistake all the time, but I think so far the only times AEW have hit that note have been Shawn Spears, and possibly Jake Hager's debut. Whether Brodie Lee falls more on one side or the other likely remains to be seen.

Completely agree on the point, it's well made. I don't think I'd count Spears though. They brought him in and built him up well for a big match with Cody and then he's dropped to his natural level. That was just getting the little bit of juice out of a guy's standing. It's fine. I thought matt hardy was a bit more egregious but even that's not been as bad as that first promo.

I quite like Harper and Hager as Moxley's opponents. Firstly because Moxley needs to win and they can take the loss. Secondly because it lets them keep building their own guys without taking losses. You've got any number of guys who can face Moxley (or whoever is champion), some are ready now, some are months away, some a year or two even. It feels like there's a constant progression with a lot of their own guys. Probably not the ones we all thought it would be in truth.

With all the talk about crowds and WWE changing camera angles “because AEW did it”, I honestly wouldn’t be against both companies keeping the current hardcam set-up whenever crowds come back. I know New Japan use that angle on occasion and it’s never really affected their shows

2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I appreciate this is entirely subjective, but I find it really hard to look at Jon Moxley and not think "oh great, it's Dean Ambrose"

Fuck off, he’s a completely different character now - for example, he... uh, well, he sticks his middle finger up like Stone Cold. Dean Ambrose never did that! And as well as that, he... well yeah, alright, with him it’s just the middle finger thing.

Harper’s playing a different character though. Yes, the character is Vince McMahon, but it’s still different from Luke Harper.

Swagger was never a dumb alt-right amateur wrestler man in WWE.

I’m very critical of the TNA-like use of WWE midcarders as top guys as well, but that’s what happens when there’s a monopoly. The average WWE jobber or cast-off has tons more name value than anyone who has never been there. It’s not as true now as it was, as the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega must be more famous than Austin Theory and EC3. But Hangman Page is about on par, and then the rest of the (non-WWE) AEW roster are total unknowns. Darby Allin is hugely popular amongst paedophiles, foot fetishists and people who piss the bed every time they have a drink, but he currently has less than zero fans outside of those demographics. He’s still new and young enough, though, to build that fanbase. Like someone mentioned above, at least using ex-WWE midcarder #439 as your main eventers means you’re not high-profile beating all your up-and-comers before they’ve had a chance to get over.

At the end of the day, at least they’re not doing it in a six-sided ring (yet).

Edited by King Pitcos

1 minute ago, King Pitcos said:

Fuck off, he’s a completely different character now - for example, he... uh, well, he sticks his middle finger up like Stone Cold. Dean Ambrose never did that! And as well as that, he... well yeah, alright, with him it’s just the middle finger thing

Have you forgotten the majority of the Dean Ambrose run?

Just look at the difference between how AEW are using these guys and how WWE are used them 

I think the main thing that pushes Moxley as different from Ambrose is that he genuinely seems like he's having a good time now. Yes there's still the goofy stuff every so often but there's an intensity and passion behind everything he does that was simply missing before.

6 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Quite the get for AEW considering all the talk of a Tyson comeback in recent weeks, which obviously isn’t a ‘proper’ comeback but if you can get some publicity out of it then go for it.

Nothing says progressive company more than hiring a convicted rapist. 

Was thinking about that when I posted it, but couldn’t think how to word it so left it out. Wasn’t there a press conference in which he repeatedly said “faggot” about someone?

I know WWE have conditioned us to think that Tyson/Austin was the turning point, but did WWE get any press at the time?

Edited by WyattSheepMask

12 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Was thinking about that when I posted it, but couldn’t think how to word it so left it out. Wasn’t there a press conference in which he repeatedly said “faggot” about someone?

I know WWE have conditioned us to think that Tyson/Austin was the turning point, but did WWE get any press at the time?

I'm probably misremembering but I'm pretty sure when I was doing my paper round on the Tuesday after Mania 14, Tyson and Austin were on the back page of the Mirror, not as the main story but in the top right corner 

Whether it was on the back page or not, it wasn't actually a positive piece, more 'look what Tyson's been reduced to' 

That being said if it was in the papers over here it must've been massive over there