The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

8 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

I'll concede in that case then. 

Like when you look at Pritchard wanting to bring up Riddle, and Heyman bringing up Austin Theory I won't out and out defend Heyman as a lot of his ideas just weren't working either but heard about the angle earlier in the week, didn't think it would be as bad as it sounded and may have actually been worse. 

It's just dreadful TV mixed with the occasional fantastic match. 

Don't know that Heyman DID pitch that angle last night btw but it was very similar.

I quite enjoyed Raw [pre-lockdown] with the slow focus on new stars [Murphy, AOP etc]. Heyman's obviously not perfect and has his faves the same as all bookers do BUT I do think his 'let's slowly build these new faces and integrate them with the existing talent' approach is the right way. 

• Paid Members

Styles-Bryan was the first full Raw or Smackdown TV match I've watched in a while. I have no idea if it was any good because they changed camera angle 24 times in one minute. Whatever you see on screen will usually be gone within three seconds and it's rare a commentator speaks an entire sentence without a camera cut to distract you from what they are saying.

I realise this isn't news to anyone, but this stuff is unwatchable. There's no way this isn't a factor in audience figures dropping.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Styles-Bryan was the first full Raw or Smackdown TV match I've watched in a while. I have no idea if it was any good because they changed camera angle 24 times in one minute. Whatever you see on screen will usually be gone within three seconds and it's rare a commentator speaks an entire sentence without a camera cut to distract you from what they are saying.

I realise this isn't news to anyone, but this stuff is unwatchable. There's no way this isn't a factor in audience figures dropping.

You do get used to it. When I was watching a bit after the move to BT earlier in the year, It stopped being obvious after a couple of weeks. Now I'm back to just dipping into the occasional YouTube clip, it's a sore thumb.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, JNLister said:

I agree. It's not something that the average viewer will point out as a reason they've stopped watching but subconsciously it just makes the whole shows unpleasant to watch. Add on top the absolutely terrible commentary that endlessly assaults your ears and it doesn't matter how good anything on screen is. The production just puts you off and reckon it's definitely a factor in the ratings dropping.

Edited by LaGoosh

7 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

In fairness, Heyman booked an angle where Tommy Dreamer threw piss on Lance Storm in ECW in a very similar angle in 1999 so I figured he had pitched it and, of course, Vince [and by proxy Prichard] loved it.  

It's not even the first time they've ripped it off, they did it with HBK and the McMahon's in 2006

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I agree. It's not something that the average viewer will point out as a reason they've stopped watching but subconsciously it just makes the whole shows unpleasant to watch. Add on top the absolutely terrible commentary that endlessly assaults your ears and it doesn't matter how good anything on screen is. The production just puts you off and reckon it's definitely a factor in the ratings dropping.

I find the commentary a much bigger problem. There's no getting used to that. It's worse the more you watch. It's exactly the opposite of what it's supposed to do which is enhance the product for the viewer at home. It's just a mess. I can't imagine a single person getting any of the product enhanced for them by any of the commentators.

Fantastic match that. By the time they were building towards the finish I'd forgotten about the empty arena completely. Love it whenever Bryan leans into the viciousness of his all too brief heel run. Can't think of another AJ Styles match that good in years (Boneyard aside) and the finish was perfect. No spammed finishers or Adam Cole bullshit. Just a killer reversal and then Smash. Done. And still both guys looked tough as nails by the end.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Awards Moderator

I watched the match on DailyMotion (without sound; sorry commentators) and it wasn’t the constant cuts that especially irritated me. It was the ‘crowd’ shots that took me out of what was a very good match - they just felt so forced and disingenuous and I didn’t like them at all. 

I watched the Bryan-Styles match, and it was bloody excellent as everyone has said, and the constant camera cuts were annoying, but not the worst thing about it all.

That was the commentary. Just fucking terrible and I really only watch the PPVs so don't notice it as much. Can't even remember which one of them said it, but after Bryan was unable to apply the surfboard due to injury and went for a different move "Bryan calling an audible there". Just baffling that they would 1.) say that, and 2.) use it in that context.

Then whilst he has just delivered a thundering upper cut: "Bryan putting on a technical masterclass here". That's an OK line, but surely do it whilst he's on the mat or applying a submission move or whatever. Just awful shit.

Don't agree with not showing the crowd. The more Jessamyn Duke on my screen, the better tbh.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I watched the Bryan-Styles match, and it was bloody excellent as everyone has said, and the constant camera cuts were annoying, but not the worst thing about it all.

That was the commentary. Just fucking terrible and I really only watch the PPVs so don't notice it as much. Can't even remember which one of them said it, but after Bryan was unable to apply the surfboard due to injury and went for a different move "Bryan calling an audible there". Just baffling that they would 1.) say that, and 2.) use it in that context.

Then whilst he has just delivered a thundering upper cut: "Bryan putting on a technical masterclass here". That's an OK line, but surely do it whilst he's on the mat or applying a submission move or whatever. Just awful shit.

Don't agree with not showing the crowd. The more Jessamyn Duke on my screen, the better tbh.

theres nothing really wrong with saying 'calling an audible' is there? thats just pointing out that Bryan's original plan failed and he's had to try something else. 

21 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

theres nothing really wrong with saying 'calling an audible' is there? thats just pointing out that Bryan's original plan failed and he's had to try something else. 

I always thought it meant that you have to tell your opponent that something needs to change, not as an internal conversation like he's just changed his mind. So he's "calling an audible" to himself?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

I always thought it meant that you have to tell your opponent that something needs to change, not as an internal conversation like he's just changed his mind. So he's "calling an audible" to himself?

It comes from American football, doesn't it? At the very least that's where it's commonly used in the US context. It's when you change plans at the last minute (in the NFL case by yelling a new one before the play starts)