The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I always thought it meant that you have to tell your opponent that something needs to change, not as an internal conversation like he's just changed his mind. So he's "calling an audible" to himself?

It does but that's taken from its use in general sports parlance so it makes complete sense in kayfabe.

3 minutes ago, Duke said:

It comes from American football, doesn't it? At the very least that's where it's commonly used in the US context. It's when you change plans at the last minute (in the NFL case by yelling a new one before the play starts)

Yeah, I just thought it sounded weird as he's essentially just changing his mind, and not having to tell his opponent that plans have changed as that's what I have always thought it meant in wrestling context. Never mind.

@tiger_rick So when you see the old lads talking about their matches and they say "Oh, I had to call an audible" etc, they're not telling their opponent, they're telling themselves?

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

@tiger_rick So when you see the old lads talking about their matches and they say "Oh, I had to call an audible" etc, they're not telling their opponent, they're telling themselves?

Depends on context. My understanding of  'calling an audible', as @Duke said, is that it's making a change of play. NFL etc is all about the game plans, but if they fall apart, someone would change plans on the fly and call an audible to their team-mates. Basically 'new plan, here's what we're doing'.

If something goes wrong in a match, and you have to improvise and make a sudden decision, that would be 'calling an audible' in one sense, because you're telling your opponent/colleague what the new plan is.

However, in kayfabe, 'calling an audible' is also fine in terms of just changing your game-plan on the fly and improvising - it technically doesn't make sense, as you're not calling the audible to anyone else, but it's so inter-changeable with improvising a new plan.

Counting myself schooled on that, as well. I can only relate it to talking spots to your dance partner and always thought it sounded stupid when commentators said it. 

• Paid Members

"Calling an audible" is very much in the US vernacular as slang for "we've had to change plans". You'll hear business leaders saying things like "obviously we intended to launch the new product in the third quarter of 2020 but the covid 19 situation has forced us to call an audible on that".

I think I've only ever heard it as a shoot term in wrestling, in reference to changing the finish on the fly based on crowd reaction or an injury or something. It makes sense in the context of the commentary, but it just sets off the *INSIDER TERM* alarm. 

First match I've gone out of my way to watch in months - great stuff. Shame about the camera cuts etc 

On 6/13/2020 at 7:35 PM, Pogue said:

It's not even the first time they've ripped it off, they did it with HBK and the McMahon's in 2006

I went back and watched the Michaels/ Mcmahons one from then and it is a carbon copy almost, even to the part where Sheamus talks to the camera while Jeff is in the stall, he says the line ‘if you are a user, you are a loser!’

• Paid Members

I kinda assumed with a young family at home and Otis doing his thing with Ziggler but there being nobody really who could team with Dolph with Roode stuck in Canada they suggested he take some time off to stay home until they desperately needed him back. 

• 2 weeks later...