Paid Members tiger_rick Posted June 14, 2020 Paid Members Posted June 14, 2020 4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: I always thought it meant that you have to tell your opponent that something needs to change, not as an internal conversation like he's just changed his mind. So he's "calling an audible" to himself? It does but that's taken from its use in general sports parlance so it makes complete sense in kayfabe. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 14, 2020 Members Posted June 14, 2020 (edited) 3 minutes ago, Duke said: It comes from American football, doesn't it? At the very least that's where it's commonly used in the US context. It's when you change plans at the last minute (in the NFL case by yelling a new one before the play starts) Yeah, I just thought it sounded weird as he's essentially just changing his mind, and not having to tell his opponent that plans have changed as that's what I have always thought it meant in wrestling context. Never mind. @tiger_rick So when you see the old lads talking about their matches and they say "Oh, I had to call an audible" etc, they're not telling their opponent, they're telling themselves? Edited June 14, 2020 by SuperBacon Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted June 14, 2020 Paid Members Posted June 14, 2020 yeh its basically a plan B. for Bryan Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 14, 2020 Members Posted June 14, 2020 Thanks, I've essentially confused myself here. Still, great match. Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted June 14, 2020 Paid Members Posted June 14, 2020 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: @tiger_rick So when you see the old lads talking about their matches and they say "Oh, I had to call an audible" etc, they're not telling their opponent, they're telling themselves? Depends on context. My understanding of 'calling an audible', as @Duke said, is that it's making a change of play. NFL etc is all about the game plans, but if they fall apart, someone would change plans on the fly and call an audible to their team-mates. Basically 'new plan, here's what we're doing'. If something goes wrong in a match, and you have to improvise and make a sudden decision, that would be 'calling an audible' in one sense, because you're telling your opponent/colleague what the new plan is. However, in kayfabe, 'calling an audible' is also fine in terms of just changing your game-plan on the fly and improvising - it technically doesn't make sense, as you're not calling the audible to anyone else, but it's so inter-changeable with improvising a new plan. Quote
The Gaffer Posted June 14, 2020 Posted June 14, 2020 Counting myself schooled on that, as well. I can only relate it to talking spots to your dance partner and always thought it sounded stupid when commentators said it. Quote
CavemanLynn Posted June 14, 2020 Posted June 14, 2020 "Calling an audible" is too objective though. Say something relevant to the match. "He's too injured to lock it in! AJ may have a chance!" Not verbal wallpaper. Quote
Paid Members Statto Posted June 15, 2020 Paid Members Posted June 15, 2020 "Calling an audible" is very much in the US vernacular as slang for "we've had to change plans". You'll hear business leaders saying things like "obviously we intended to launch the new product in the third quarter of 2020 but the covid 19 situation has forced us to call an audible on that". Quote
Paid Members hallicks Posted June 15, 2020 Paid Members Posted June 15, 2020 I think I've only ever heard it as a shoot term in wrestling, in reference to changing the finish on the fly based on crowd reaction or an injury or something. It makes sense in the context of the commentary, but it just sets off the *INSIDER TERM* alarm. First match I've gone out of my way to watch in months - great stuff. Shame about the camera cuts etc Quote
Danny Franchetti’s Jazzbox Posted June 15, 2020 Posted June 15, 2020 On 6/13/2020 at 7:35 PM, Pogue said: It's not even the first time they've ripped it off, they did it with HBK and the McMahon's in 2006 I went back and watched the Michaels/ Mcmahons one from then and it is a carbon copy almost, even to the part where Sheamus talks to the camera while Jeff is in the stall, he says the line ‘if you are a user, you are a loser!’ Quote
courageous Posted June 17, 2020 Posted June 17, 2020 Did I miss a meeting, or has the Hacker gimmick died a death? Quote
Paid Members I Bent My Wookie Posted June 17, 2020 Paid Members Posted June 17, 2020 I assumed its been held off until they use it to expose whichever one of Bayley or Sasha is turning on the other one? That or Heavy Machinery now Tuckers back. Quote
Sergio Bellend Posted June 17, 2020 Posted June 17, 2020 Surprised to see ol’ Tucky back last week, I thought we’d seen the last of him. Is that the first time he’s been on since before Wrestlemania? Quote
Paid Members I Bent My Wookie Posted June 17, 2020 Paid Members Posted June 17, 2020 I kinda assumed with a young family at home and Otis doing his thing with Ziggler but there being nobody really who could team with Dolph with Roode stuck in Canada they suggested he take some time off to stay home until they desperately needed him back. Quote
Winston Posted June 27, 2020 Posted June 27, 2020 This promo and delivery.. The absolute drizzlers Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.