The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

17 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Bryan, Gulack, Riddle and Thatcher having grapplefucks is the most palatable kind of empty arena wrestling for me. What's the point in playing to the stands when you can keep it on the mat.

You need to stop talking right now. Shush.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Good for Matt Riddle if the move to the main roster means he makes more money.

That introductory vignette tells you everything about how he’s never going to work in that environment though.

It was everything that’s wrong with how they write characters, telling us rather than showing us and boiling it down to shitty, singular notes.

”It’s kinda ironic that my name is Riddle because I’m a tough dude to figure out.”

“I’m pretty laid back but I’ve been fighting all my life.”

“...I did it all without wearing shoes!”

He’s gonna be the new RVD.

• Paid Members

Not that I’d ever suggest he was particularly well scripted in NXT either, NXT has been dog shit for ages now, but overall the Bruiserweight run was the closest it felt like they’d capitalised on that weird charisma he’s got.

• Paid Members

I wanted to turn off after the first segment. Great, let’s do what we did with Hawk and bring their real life troubles in as a story line. The same week the police have caused riots across America as well. However I stuck with it. Liked DZ’s Tunney zinger. Then we had shorty G get eliminated by someone already eliminated, and the predictable Seamus win and tapped out. Reading the results, looks like I skipped a good women’s match but the rest was bollocks. 

• Paid Members

Prichard loves Riddle, so he'll probably do ok from that point of view. There was an "Ask Bruce Anything" episode of STW around the time Bruce went back to WWE where he was asked who he saw being the face of the company in the future and he picked Riddle in seconds.

45 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I wanted to turn off after the first segment. Great, let’s do what we did with Hawk and bring their real life troubles in as a story line. 

Hawk is an odd example to use there, when there are way more recent examples - the most obvious being Jeff Hardy himself. At Survivor Series the one year when he was replaced by Edge in a triple threat, they hinted that he’d passed out on a staircase somewhere. His feud with CM Punk when he left in 2009 was about him being a junkie, and Samoa Joe was using it as taunt material against Jeff last year. Jeff being a fuck-up has been part of his character more or less since he came back to WWE in 2006.

Let's not forget that ongoing drug addict Hardy was the face, and teetotal Punk was the heel.  The WWE is a weird universe.

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

So we've replaced Heyman with a guy who's storyline ideas have included Fake Eric Rowan, Roman Reigns in Dog Food and now Jeff Hardy throwing piss. 

Yup, it's still Vinces show. 

In fairness, Heyman booked an angle where Tommy Dreamer threw piss on Lance Storm in ECW in a very similar angle in 1999 so I figured he had pitched it and, of course, Vince [and by proxy Prichard] loved it.  

• Paid Members

I'll concede in that case then. 

Like when you look at Pritchard wanting to bring up Riddle, and Heyman bringing up Austin Theory I won't out and out defend Heyman as a lot of his ideas just weren't working either but heard about the angle earlier in the week, didn't think it would be as bad as it sounded and may have actually been worse. 

It's just dreadful TV mixed with the occasional fantastic match.