The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I was also a big fan of Ciampa slyly glaring at Adam Cole at the end of the show when the NXT guys were all celebrating together. That's the best bit of subtle story-telling in WWE in ages. They must've been watching MJF recently.

You have to wonder, after the Goldberg thing in 2016 proved they'd finally figured out how to book him after thirteen years, is eighteen years long enough for them to realise the mistakes they made during the Invasion? Will they actually acknowledge that they own all three brands, so it's in their best interest to put NXT over and elevate that show on USA? If I'm in charge, I'd make NXT the antagonist in all this, have them attacking both Raw and Smackdown, and maybe even have Raw and Smackdown team up to defend themselves before ultimately losing.

Surely, for the love of God, it's not going to be another clean sweep for RAW? They can't be that mad again, can they?

Edited by Supremo

17 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Best episode of Smackdown in years. That travel situation was the best thing that ever could've happened. This felt like that super exciting bit at the start of the Invasion angle before it all turned to shit. For whatever reason, NXT invading had all the magic that Raw vs. Smackdown has never had. Completely agree that Bryan should've won the Title though, If only for a week or two before they hyped the rematch where it was switched back, it would've helped pop a huge rating for NXT on USA.

It's because since the turn of the decade, we have seen the Raw/Smackdown guys interact with each other a million times.

NXT invading genuinely feels like "outsiders" coming into the company and shaking things up.

Bryan winning the title would have been superb though, but I'm guessing they wanted to give NXT some momentum as nobody really knows who they are yet.

Edited by The King of Old School

Oh man I loved that. Who would've thought we'd be seeing Tegan Nox on Smackdown in 2019. Mental. Made up for the girl.

Great main event too. Bryan loses nothing from the loss. Cole looked right at home and they didn't overdo it like most recent Cole matches.

Shayna looked fucking class. Ciampa felt big time. It was all just great.

• Paid Members

As others have stated, best episode of Smackdown in years. Thank you Saudi Arabia. No fat, just lean matches, great debuts. The whole thing was great.

one thing that did crack me up was Brock quitting because he couldn’t fight a Raw superstar because of the brand contract exclusivity. Then they ran an ad promoting Raw with Rollins vs Fiend in a steel cage match.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Always thought Adam Cole was ridiculously small, but he was a lot taller than Daniel Bryan in the backstage segment. 

For the first time in about two years I watched Smackdown without reading the spoilers first. The Riddle / Lee segment was great. Ciampa is tremendous, just everything about him screams star.

Felt a little sorry for Dana Brooke, even when 171 other wrestlers are out of the country she can’t even get a televised match. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Felt a little sorry for Dana Brooke, even when 171 other wrestlers are out of the country she can’t even get a televised match. 

Main event is televised. No one is watching it, but she is wrestling in TV somewhere. 

An excellent show, and it’s a shame they can’t do television this good every week. I can’t imagine the Lesnar ‘quitting for Raw’ angle will stick, even if it is exactly like Vince to favour that brand even when it makes little sense to do so. 

I’m guessing we’ll have two inter-brand title matches at Survivor Series to get one of the ‘big’ titles over to Raw. Lesnar-Mysterio and a Wyatt-Rollins rematch, unfortunately.

Obviously the NXT involvement confuses things slightly, but I don’t think that a messy ‘battle of the brands’ format in which not each brand is represented is out of the question.

Edited by RedRooster