The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

Firefly Funhouse has to be the best thing about wrestling this year. So much great content goes into those short segments, and Bray has finally found his niche. Could watch them back to back for hours.

Also loved the Big Dog parody entrance. My dogs love that tune, hell I even ripped it as my new ringtone. 

• Paid Members

It’s amazing how much momentum Bray Wyatt has managed to salvage now he’s removed from the toxicity of Seth Rollins. After Hell in a Cell he felt like a dead character doomed to failure but he’s doing great in this Daniel Bryan feud and I really enjoy the jolly Firefly Funhouse segments contrasted with the violent Fiend attacks. Probably helps that Bryan isn’t screaming in fear like a dickhead all the time, too. If they got rid of the red lights I’d be fully back on board. I wonder if the Undertaker could win the Rumble and face Bray at Wrestlemania in the ultimate No-Sell, Spook-Off? Just a quick ten minute match where both guys refuse to sell anything until one guy eventually gives in and loses. 

Roman mentioning it’d been twelve months since his cancer scare was mind-blowing. How they managed to fumble a fucking cancer survivor and didn’t end up with the biggest babyface of all time is insane.

In retrospect, it’s amazing how much they were willing to exploit Roman’s cancer when it was a truly scary, horrible situation, yet once he was in remission they were reluctant to even mention it. That promo where he came back was one of the all-time best feel-good Raw moments and it should’ve been been the launchpad for him to become the top star they always envisioned. I don’t think anyone would’ve had an issue with them scripting him as the never-give-up, if-I-best-cancer-I-can-beat-anything, superhero, pure white babyface. The best thing he’s done since coming back are those short videos with the sick kids but they’ve probably only done about three of them and they only last about twenty seconds. Other than that, what the fuck has he done since coming back other than have some stuff sort of fall on him over the Summer?!

It speaks for how badly they’ve lost their way in terms of thinking the only type of heat worth generating is, “oh, just fuck off,” go-away heat. They’re so convinced that the only way to engage a crowd is to troll them. Imagine believing that the only way of making a storyline out of someone going through real-life cancer treatment and coming out the other side with a happy ending is to have his former mates go, “LOL, he might die,” shortly after he’s diagnosed.

For a company that wanks itself silly over the Attitude Era all the time they seem oblivious to how much each show back then was geared towards sending fans home happy, with the cool heroes overcoming and embarrassing the heels. Not pissing everyone off and making them feel like twats for even watching. It was only today that Kofi revealed in an interview that Daniel Bryan had to push for Kofi to get the Title match at Wrestlemania. For as much as that shows what a genius Daniel Bryan is, equally if not more it shows what a maniac Vince is. Try and envision this past year and Wrestlemania as a whole if the Kofi storyline started and ended as intended, with the lovable mid-carder finally breaking through the glass ceiling and then not winning the big one. Incredible. He’s fucking nuts.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I don’t think anyone would’ve had an issue with them scripting him as the never-give-up, if-I-best-cancer-I-can-beat-anything, superhero, pure white babyface.

That's incredibly naive. Go look at any Twitter thread (or wrestling forum besides this one) around the time of his return. The sort of bell-ends that were crying in previous years about Roman's push and "The Plan" and other such shite were trading conspiracy theories about how the cancer was a work, and now Roman was coming back to get handed everything and fuck The People's Choice Great Worker Seth You Deserve It Clapclapclapclapclap You Deserve It Clapclapclapclapclap You Deserve It Clapclapclapclapclap Rollins out of the WrestleMania win over Brock. Roman Reigns coming back into the Roman Reigns spot would have resulted in dem giving him the Roman Reigns reactions fairly sharpish (especially for another round of Roman vs Brock), and Seth Rollins would still be an Internet babyface.

• Paid Members

I don't take Twitter morons to be indicative of the crowd as a whole. I know the core audience has never been smaller, but I think the reaction Roman got when he came back from his cancer suggested they had the chance to finally make him a babyface provided they actually did something. People were into him. He had more momentum than maybe ever. Fucker had me nearly crying when he said, "I'm in remission y'all!" This was it. The booing didn't really return until months and months of him doing fuck all. It wasn't that the crowd rejected him coming back in the top spot, it was that he became the most boring fucker on the planet, feuding with Corbin for what's felt like nine years, meaning there was nothing for fans to grab onto, which is why I think it reverted back to that boo-for-the-sake-of-it stance. 

The saddest part is that they'll probably move Roman into the Number One Contender spot by Wrestlemania time, then wonder why it doesn't work. The timing in this company is something to behold. They're always months, if not years behind when something should be shot.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm assuming we're getting Reigns vs. Fiend at Wrestlemania, and am dreading the sort of B-Movie acting we're going to get from Roman in the build to that.

I understand them not throwing him straight back in the main event picture when he returned, as it risked losing a bit of the audience goodwill, but they went too far in the other direction.