The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Turning Miz heel and putting him in a tag team with Morrison is a decent idea. That babyface run of Miz’s this past year has got to be one of the all-time worst though. Disaster after disaster.

Legitimately, the best part of the show was that fun fifteen to twenty second “Moving Day,” advert that BT Sport produced with all the talent. Kevin Owens in the white van, sacking everyone off and driving off. On a show as beige, bland and nothing-happening as this, something like that with the tiniest bit of life in it sticks out like a sore thumb.

How must FOX be feeling? After all the news items and rumours about the type of show they wanted, the wrestlers they were pitching for (before the draft) and ratings numbers that were being rumoured to be projected, they’ve ended up with what tuft have got. 

Edited by uklaw

WWE aside from NXT, has been complete bollocks since Wrestlemania last year, and arguably even long before that, masked by the Kofi and Becky runs.bI think this past 12 months, for me at least, has been the worst year in the company's history. Nothing seems to matter on any of the main roster shows. 

1 hour ago, FalconHoof said:

WWE aside from NXT, has been complete bollocks since Wrestlemania last year, and arguably even long before that, masked by the Kofi and Becky runs.bI think this past 12 months, for me at least, has been the worst year in the company's history. Nothing seems to matter on any of the main roster shows. 

I think Raw has improved quite a bit recently. While three hours is still far too long for a weekly wrestling show, most of the content is enjoyable.

Smackdown is utter balls, though.

Edited by RedRooster

49 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I think Raw has improved quite a bit recently. While three hours is still far too long for a weekly wrestling show, most of the content is enjoyable.

Smackdown is utter balls, though.

I think that's part of the problem as well, with Dynamite and NXT, I have neither the time nor the appetite to pile on 5 hours of nonsense on top of my weekly fix

Quite a newsworthy show this week, Usos, Sheamus and Morrison returning which adds a lot more depth to Smackdown. 

New Day and Miz/Morrison feud should be pretty good, Miz is made to be a heel so glad they’ve turned him again.

Usos returning was a surprise, being paired with Roman at last but obviously Roman will move on to the fiend in the next couple of months so imagine they will be feuding with Ziggler and Corbin for a bit

Better show than the last few weeks and it’s nice to have some fresher faces at least, good start to the year 

I forgot SmackDown was on as well until this afternoon, but it's the easiest wrestling show of the week for me to catch, being the only one that happens on the weekend. I was more than happy with this episode.

Returns for Sheamus and the Usos add a bit more depth to the roster. Miz is better as a baddie, and he had some character development towards it that makes sense. I'm very intrigued by Morrison showing up as well -- his actual return to WWE was done weeks ago in an interview on their show called The Bump, which I don't even know if it airs on YouTube, the WWE Network, Fox, or some other format. Miz did a Skype call in to welcome him back on there. I wasn't expecting him to come back into a "Miz's mate" storyline, but between New Day, Miz & Morrison, Usos, Revival and Heavy Machinery, SmackDown could have the best tag division in the business now. I enjoyed the Otis/Mandy stuff, and I like Gulak's powerpoint gimmick and him being the self-professed expert of the grappling arts. Even Cesaro was alright, doing a bit of workrate to set up a match between more interesting lads. The women's stuff on this show and the Shorty G/Revival thing, I could take or leave, it was fine. They served their purpose.

Only things missing for me were an Ali appearance and a Firefly Funhouse, but not everything needs to be on every week.

Thing with Morrison is he's hardly a huge name. So other than a decent return pop at the Rumble, they're probably better off doing what they're doing now and adding a little intrigue etc to him as a character. Maybe he'll actually get somewhere then rather than having the shallow return and then forgotten about.

12 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I skipped through the matches so might aswell have just stuck to the supercut. Not sure how a single person anywhere on the planet could be expected to give a fuck about any of those matches. Not one. Wasn't a title on the line, a title opportunity on the line, not even an internet wet dream.

Little harsh I think. They worked in plenty of little stories throughout the show to give you a reason to watch most of matches on there. It could always be better, but with the returns thrown in as well, it was a solid start to 2020 and the road to the rumble. 

Surprised when I read Rick's post tbh. I haven't watched any full show in weeks - thought I'd check this out as I was free and have BT and thought it was more than enjoyable. Also thought every match on the show had a reason for happening or built someone. Will probably watch next week after watching that.

• Paid Members

I've no problem if anyone thinks that pile of shit was OK. All about opinions. I'm not with you in the slightest though.

The women's triple threat was a big time filler. Maybe someone cares about Lacey Evans and her kid enough to be interested? Not sure who that would be. The team who aren't feuding with anyone else winning was odd. Shorty and Dash was garbage. The whole Shorty thing is garbage. The set-up, the match and the aftermath - garbage. Did anyone miss Sheamus? He's a good worker but on the Del Rio scale of returnees.

Kingston vs. The Miz. Horrible faux setup for the match. I'm glad the Miz is a heel again but this was hardly the killer angle to make it happen. Just another pointless match. Otis and Gulak was a squash. Gets a pass. Poor old Cesaro. Result never in doubt. At least Strowman didn't dance.

Bryan and Reigns vs. Corbin and Ziggler. CORBIN. ZIGGLER. Fucking hell. Just read that out loud. And no, don't anyone try and pretend they're doing a good job with these fuckers as heels just because no-one wants to watch them. Bryan and Reigns should be some Mega-Powers style dream team at this point. I explained my thoughts on Reigns recently. Bryan looks like a ROH wrestler. What have they done to him? Nice to see the Usos back. They've not been the same since the face turn though. They were great heels.

It was dreadful. The pointless matches aren't even the worst bit. The awful character work and dialogue are far worse. They kill any enthusiasm for the show. It all feels like a retread too. How many times you seen New Day standing around with some pancakes? How many times you seen Kofi vs. The Miz? How many times you seen Reigns and Corbin at this point? Must be a million. How many times you seen Cesaro lose? How many times you seen Revival lose?

What is fresh? Shorty G? That's fucking abysmal. Lacey Evans? BABYFACE Lacey Evans? She's dreadful. Otis? I like him, that still gets a pass. But it's the only likeable thing on the show.

Where are they going? Fiend vs. Reigns seems obvious and could be good. Could equally be as dreadful as Fiend vs. Rollins but we'll see. Surely not Bryan vs. The Miz again? Surely?

We commented after Raw that you can at least see people moving up on Raw. They're trying. Who on earth is moving up on Smackdown? Honestly - nobody. Strowman winning the IC title might be a nice moment for him at some point. But given he should have been World Champion about 2 years ago, that's hardly a promotion is it?

None of this bothers me much, I'll be back to reading a review next week. Just a shame given I would now watch it on BT if it was any good.

Edited by tiger_rick

Red lighting still in effect on Smackdown when The Fiend appeared I see.

That's never going away.

I'll never understood why they changed it, they had it perfect at Summerslam when he faced Balor, people could see the match and were genuinely into it, every match he has had under the red lighting has been played out in front of a dead crowd who can't see any of it. 

Awful.

Edited by The King of Old School