The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Watched the last week's Smackers highlight thing on Five with my other half's uncle this morning. Naomi's hair is amazing, although I kind of wish she'd wrestle in that disco ball helmet thing. 

Strowman, Nakamura, Sami & Cesaro all feel wasted in that match. Cole seems to be doing his commentary in the style of a children's TV show narrator. Especially his gleefully shouting about the dog food. Reigns looked to be having a great time, though. That's good. 

Has the show suffered from being cut down like this, or is it even worse in long form? 

My other half's uncle enjoyed it. He's going to be hoping he gets to see Big Show on Raw tomorrow. He gave AEW a chance and told me he didn't like how Jericho has to have all his mates with him and that he doesn't understand why Dean Ambrose has changed his name. 

Goldberg vs The Fiend is exciting!

I halfway can’t believe that they’re still carrying on with Reigns vs Corbin, but then I notice the total lack of anyone else to put Roman against — even when Sheamus is out of his settling back in phase, I’ve no interest in him vs Reigns again.

SmackDown is way too babyface-heavy, to the point where Mustafa Ali can’t even be on the show because there are no baddies for him. The humiliation from last week could’ve easily put Corbin into a new feud as well — perhaps even with Ali. I really thought the King picking on staff and fans was going to lead to another babyface stepping up to him. Oh well.

The tag team scene has a lot of potential, but the presentation could do with some work. The Usos and Roode/Ziggler are good teams, but they’re massively overexposed, especially against each other. New Day vs Miz and Morrison isn’t though, which is nice! Looking forward to that match at Showdown.

I wish they’d just get rid of Bayley. Her character is a mess, her performances are weak, and AEW needs some proper women on the roster who aren’t just there because they’re either married to or fetishised by the boys in charge. They could use that title to establish one or two of the other women as standouts.

The Daniel Bryan/Heath Slater chat was very odd. I enjoyed it! 

Fiend vs Goldberg. Take my money! Could be a mad spectacle and a surprisingly bold match for Smackdown. Little touch, but I liked Goldberg cutting off Wyatt mid sentence like somebody about to fight might do. Not politely waiting for Bray to finish his lines like one of the full-time chumps would. 

Smackdown seems no different to the last time I watched. It’s bland and conservative to the point of nausea. Roster is thin, zero strong heels and fun acts like New Day, Strowman and Elias are way past their shelf life. Even Bryan is lifeless on this show. For all the talk of him being Teflon, this has to be the coldest he’s been since the Yes thing originally took off. The constant muddying of his character since last summer has killed him off.

What is Roman supposed to do after Mania? Drag it out with the Fiend? Sheamus? King Baron Corbin lol.

11 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

If Roman beats Goldberg for the belt at Mania, a feud with the Fiend would do for a couple of months after. I expect they’ll do another draft not long after WrestleMania anyway, though I’d rather they wait until September to do that as part of the Season Premieres.

I hadn’t even considered Reigns vs Goldberg. You think Goldberg is beating The Fiend then? That’d be hilarious.

Side note. . . I’ve missed the fuck outta Sami Zayn. He’s just about the only thing on this show that had any spark to it.

Zayn, Cesaro and Naka are instant skips for me these days. Pity cos Sami seemed slightly interesting when he returned, but his berate the crowd promos never really developed (plus Bryan had done a better version anyway) and he's beyond stale at this point. He looks terrible too. Ceasro is a dullard, and his new gear is hilariously bad, even for someone who's had some awful outfits over his time in WWE. Naka's just not arsed anymore.

Fairly meh show aside from Miz/Morrison. Also didn't realise XFL was starting this week, interesting to see how badly it does!