The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, DJM said:

On the subject of ratings (taken from wrestlingobserver), last weeks Raw only had 3,000 viewers in the UK (down from 38,000 the week before and 48,000 the week before that).

that cant be true😐

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, quote the raven said:

That 1 billion they dropped on smackdown is looking like a sound business decision.

I wonder if they have any kind of low ratings clause? If not WWE could put any junk on its show and still earn millions a week. 

If it works like other TV shows on the network, Fox can cancel it?

Fox can cancel it, but thats highly unlikely unless they did a number like this on Fox. FS1 was always going to be lower. I didnt expect it to be less than Dynamite, which has head to head competition, but the pattern is the pattern. The true message, as has been said, is that very few people gave a shit to follow it over. It wasnt there and they didnt give a shit to find out where it was. WWE has a real problem right now with their inability to connect to the masses, and it gets worse with every passing day.

You cant compare it to AEW numbers imo

Being on a Friday night which is a low rated night anyway across the board on a regular Week as it is, Being on FS1 which isn't a huge Channel in terms of regular shows ratings and I'd bet a lot of people wouldnt even have known how to find the channel.

And it went up against the World Series which had close to 13 Million Viewers and almost certainly has a fair amount of crossover of fans.

It's a low number for sure and WWE can be alarmed by it and likely hoped for more but the way some AEW fans on twitter are acting it's like WWE might as well cancel Wrestlemania now.

I'm 100% Certain if Dynamite was on at the same time last Friday its drawing way less then Smackdown did.

As pointed out what would alarm WWE most is the fact it seems over half the audience wern't bothered about seeking out the show and were happy to just skip a week, that never used to be the case and they lost the casual viewer by moving channels for the night.

I'd imagine the +7 rating will see a higher jump then usual though.

Edited by MVP RULZ

4 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

How long is NXT being shown on Wednesdays on USA? Maybe WWE have been clever knowing if this FOX thing doesn't work out they could move Smackdown into that slot. 

Probably giving WWE too much credit though.

Too much credit? Why would they even think of that as a thing?

3 hours ago, MVP RULZ said:

You cant compare it to AEW numbers imo

Alrighty, let's figure this out then.

Being on a Friday night which is a low rated night anyway across the board on a regular Week as it is...

As it was the three previous Friday's and has been on for years at a time in previous eras...

Being on FS1 which isn't a huge Channel in terms of regular shows ratings and I'd bet a lot of people wouldnt even have known how to find the channel.

It's in 84 million homes. More than TNT. If people can't find it, they aren't trying that hard. Meaning they don't give a shit to find out. It's never been easier to pull up the schedule and find a channel than 2019, and way back when you could move a show's time or day and still do very well.

And it went up against the World Series which had close to 13 Million Viewers and almost certainly has a fair amount of crossover of fans

As did Dynamite on Wednesday. And two of AEW's biggest markets were playing.

It's a low number for sure and WWE can be alarmed by it and likely hoped for more but the way some AEW fans on twitter are acting it's like WWE might as well cancel Wrestlemania now.

Yeah, you bet they hoped for more. Smackdown's move to FS1 was hyped on the fucking Thursday night NFL game as well as the previous week's Smackdown and that week's Raw. It should have dropped, but dropping to lower than Dynamite is something to note because it says something about the core number of die-hard WWE fans. It's less than people think, and the remaining casuals are disengaged enough that they could take or leave the show without thinking twice about it. Meaning the number that really matters, the Fox numbers, still have room to drop significantly if they don't get their shit together.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

As it was the three previous Friday's and has been on for years at a time in previous eras...

And it was The highest rated show on Broadcast TV for those Friday nights, Can't really compare Previous ERAs can we when everything is down across the board, WCWs bad numbers would be the Top wrestling show today

It's in 84 million homes. More than TNT.

Not quite true, TNT is in close to 90 Million homes according to all the reports when it was announced AEW was going to be on there as a big thing was made of Dynamite being in more homes then RAW would be on the USA network, And I was more referring to how TNT is a vastly more popular and established channel then FS1 which is just a sports channel, non sports fans were probably not even aware of its existence whereas TNT is far more casual friendly where people are more likely to find it just browsing through the channels.     

As did Dynamite on Wednesday. And two of AEW's biggest markets were playing

True but coupled with the extra factor of being a Friday I'd say Smackdown was at more of a disadvantage, again going back to my point from earlier where people who have no interest in baseball are not going to turn to  FS1, Smackdown lost the casual viewer as I did mention in my original post and your right the number of Die Hard fans might be lower then they anticipated but the crossover of fans who choose Baseball over WWE for this week would still be quite large IMO, the DVR numbers on catchup will be interesting to find out

Again I'm not arguing that its a great number or that WWE shouldn't be a little disappointed at the huge drop off but the way some have proclaimed it as the death of WWE and AEW is on top now is way over exaggerated to me

Would you honestly say if Dynamite had been in Smackdowns slot last week that it would of done any better?      

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

Smackdown lost the casual viewer as I did mention in my original post and your right the number of Die Hard fans might be lower then they anticipated

I think they should be worrying about wrestling fans instead, the Die Hard fans will do alright with Christmas coming up.

48 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

Again I'm not arguing that its a great number or that WWE shouldn't be a little disappointed at the huge drop off but the way some have proclaimed it as the death of WWE and AEW is on top now is way over exaggerated to me

Would you honestly say if Dynamite had been in Smackdowns slot last week that it would of done any better?      

Yeah, but there's always some people that will claim anything, and twitter.com is the armpit for that type of talk - it's where message board troll posters go when nobody on the board gives a shit what they say any more. There's about .5% of the people on there who have something to contribute, most don't, so I wouldn't sweat it.

As for whether Dynamite would have done any better in the slot - there's no way to know, and I never said they would, but that number being lower than Dynamite on Wednesday, which has direct WWE competition, is an eye opener, because even with the circumstances that obviously contributed to the number being low, it shows that AEW's ceiling is higher than WWE's floor, and they shouldn't consider themselves untouchable. AEW beating Smackdown in Canada is something to keep an eye on too. 

Edited by Liam O'Rourke