The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

Decent little show. Enjoyed everything involving Owens/Kofi/Woods, hopefully his babyface run has some more legs in it before his inevitable turn. Think that could be a really good programme for a few months. Kairi and Asuka is a fun combination and they looked really smooth together. Didn't care much for Lars wrecking shop.

I don't mind Roman moving over to Smackdown, because there's some interesting, fresh matches on there for him, but for crying out loud if there's one thing I don'tĀ everĀ need to see again, it's him conquering Vince and the big bad authoritarian character. We've exhausted that avenue so many times by this point that it doesn't exactly create a fresh first impression when you bring him over doing the exact same stuff we saw him doing on RAW.

Good Smackers and agree with the KO/New Day comment. KO's Big E introĀ was spot on.

Bit confused with the IC title being on Smackdown aswell as the US title but glad to see Finn on the blue brand although I was looking forward to more of him and Andrade.

Buddy Murphy is a welcome addition, should have good matches with Finn and more with Ali.

A nice change for Reigns,Ā someone commented on hereĀ that he might get a better reaction on Smackdown, they maybe right.

According to WWE.com, the following have also moved:

Liv Morgan, Chad Gable, Apollo Crews and Mickie James.

Ā 

• Paid Members

By the looks of some stuff online Joe was supposed to move last night but was ill and whatever segment he was in (I assume him and Strowman) got axed. They're saying that over the week people will still be moving so expect a .com exclusive that Joe has moved to Raw by Monday.

• Paid Members

I'm glad to see Roman move, I think he needed it. They'll have to be careful with him and Bryan though. It's an inevitable match-up now, but one that may not yield the desired crowd response.Ā 

If Joe is swapping to Raw, where is Lars supposed to be? You don't want Lars, Joe and Braun all on the one brand, I wouldn't have thought.Ā 

Have Cesaro and Sheamus split up?Ā 

Roode and Gable being separated does nothing for me. They weren't doing much together, but it was something. They'll be EC3 in no time now they've been split.Ā 

KO as part of the New Day was brilliant stuff. Really, really fun.Ā 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

Sucks to be Road Dogg. Steps down as head writer and Smackdown goes on to have one of its most fun shows in ages. Everything with New Day and Big O was spectacular on this show. Exactly what theirĀ product is lacking - just letting these daft, funĀ characters interact more without them necessarily feuding.

If the last two nights have left any long-lasting impression it's how great Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn are. Both have incredible range and both hit absolute home runs in their home town. I can't remember the last time WWE TV made me genuinely laugh out loud but Kevin OwensĀ managed it a few times tonight. I'm completely down with them stretching this out for a month or so before Kevin turns on Kofi for stealing his Mania spot.

TrulyĀ end of an era stuff to see that Vince can't even take a bump anymore and needed Elias to catch him mid-tumble.

Is it time to call it though? This weird, hauntingĀ silence about Bryan's supposed injury suggests the inevitable, doesn't it?

Edited by Supremo

17 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Sucks to be Road Dogg. Steps down as head writer and Smackdown goes on to have one of its most fun shows in ages. Everything with New Day and Big O was spectacular on this show. Exactly what theirĀ product is lacking - just letting these daft, funĀ characters interact more without them necessarily feuding.

If the last two nights have left any long-lasting impression it's how great Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn are. Both have incredible range and both hit absolute home runs in their home town. I can't remember the last time WWE TV made me genuinely laugh out loud but Kevin OwensĀ managed it a few times tonight. I'm completely down with them stretching this out for a month or so before Kevin turns on Kofi for stealing his Mania spot.

TrulyĀ end of an era stuff to see that Vince can't even take a bump anymore and needed Elias to catch him mid-tumble.

Is it time to call it though? This weird, hauntingĀ silence about Bryan's supposed injury suggests the inevitable, doesn't it?

Maybe Iā€™m hopelessly naive, but Iā€™m assuming if there was anything to worry about Smackdown would have added slightly more depth on the heel sideĀ last night.

My best guess is they want to programme him with a new addition (likely Reigns or Baylor) post shake-up so kept him off TV for that reason.

• Paid Members

I really hope so. The way he's flourished in a completely differentĀ role since coming back, it'd beĀ arguably even more tragic if his career ended now than if he'd never returned at all.

Watching back their match at Wrestlemania though (I'm obsessed with it, I think it's the best thing they've done since ending The Streak), those stomps to his head at the end are absolutely brutal. I can't believe anyone thought that was a good idea. It honestly makes me think there was already an underlying issue Bryan knew about, so he decided, "this is probably it for me either way mate, stomp away."

Edited by Supremo

37 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I really hope so. The way he's flourished in a completely differentĀ role since coming back, it'd beĀ arguably even more tragic if his career ended now than if he'd never returned at all.

Watching back their match at Wrestlemania though (I'm obsessed with it, I think it's the best thing they've done since ending The Streak), those stomps to his head at the end are absolutely brutal. I can't believe anyone thought that was a good idea. It honestly makes me think there was already an underlying issue Bryan knew about, so he decided, "this is probably it for me either way mate, stomp away."

Those stomps, and the back elbows Kofi was giving him straight to the head when they were on the ropes were brutal.

SmackDown has kept people off TV for a few weeks at a time since the brand split. It's why a lot on the show generally feels fresh enough as opposed to RAW. The writers seem to realise that pointless matches does more harm to a main eventer than just keeping them off screen.Ā 

I wouldn't worry that Bryan is missing.Ā 

34 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Those stomps, and the back elbows Kofi was giving him straight to the head when they were on the ropes were brutal.

Absolutley, had me cringing that did.

Not really sure where Bryan fits in now, didnt they do away with mandatory title rematches?

Maybe he enters MITB?

I dont really want to see Roman just go straight through Bryan and then KofiĀ for the title.

Kofi could do with actually having some singles matches aswell.

• Awards Moderator
4 minutes ago, rollthedice said:

Absolutley, had me cringing that did.

Not really sure where Bryan fits in now, didnt they do away with mandatory title rematches?

Maybe he enters MITB?

I dont really want to see Roman just go straight through Bryan and then KofiĀ for the title.

Kofi could do with actually having some singles matches aswell.

The New Daniel Bryan is a proud vegan. Heavy Machinery are all about Steaks & Weights. Bryan & Rowan vs Heavy Machinery for the tag titles once they remember they've got both sets of Champions on Raw now and sort that out.

KO as honorary New Day member was hilarious. It's refreshing to see them not pull the trigger straight away on the turn and Owens is perfect as the babyface that you need to keep an eye on. You can see why him and Sami get so much TV time despite them not being Vince's ideal in terms of looks. They ruled the roost this week. Got to admit though, that purest in me is having a hard time embracing Kofi as champion with this shtick. He's massively over though so what do I know.

Finn is already a ton more interesting now he's been separated from the lugs. He comes across far better in fast paced matches with guys his size. I love Ali but, man. I'm on edge watching him sometimes. Always feels like he's a step away from hurting himself. Lot of that is him being great at selling I'm sure.

I love Becky Lynch to bits but she isn't quite clicking for me at the moment. I don't know if it's her promos having a lack of focus or it's the edge being shaved off the character, but she isn't compelling like before. The promos aren't hitting home. She's just another face on the show right now and the airs leaving the balloon.

The women's segment was the type of nonsensical mess you'd get on Raw. I'm stoked for the Sane and Asuka team, because Christ they needed to find a decent tag team somewhere. But I'm pissed that Asuka has been slotted back in this role again. She tapped out the double champion for fucks sake! Why is she not gunning for Becky? It's not like there's a list of credible challengers.

The Raw women's roster is a state. Natalya, Dana Brooke, Lacey, Tamina, Ruby Riot and Alexa Bliss. Is that it? They can move Becky there and it's still dire. Are they sticking all the talent on Smackdown just to build around Charlotte again?

Lar's actually got over this week, there might be hope for him after all. Glad to see him drop the flying head butt. R Truth is one of the better faces they have in hand to get over this stuff although the act with Carmella is wearing thin.

Vince swerving fans with Elias was a great move in deflecting any possible boos for Roman. I can't wait to see what Reigns can do with this roster although it's a shame to see him separated from the Uso's yet again.

Man, hope Bryan is alright. Can't be losing him again.

Ā