Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PowerButchi

The Smackers Thread

Recommended Posts

Quote

I reckon Roman Reigns, The Revival, Drew McIntyre possibly.  Bayley?  Seeing as they pretty much buried Sasha last night.  I would say Balor, but he's got a belt so that complicates things.

 

Not a bad prediction!  It does feel like Smackdown got the worst of this deal but every year I say that, and then the Smackdown brand goes on to actually elevate new stars.

Asuka instead of Io Shirai has to be some sort of troll on internet fans, right?  They all look the same, those chinese wrestlers.

Of all the swops, I genuinely hope Elias gets a proper push.  Did you see his shoulders?  They guy has everything in my opinion, if they put him in interesting storylines with good wrestlers he could become a top heel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohh i hadnt thought of that, suppose it depends if they actually wish to do anything with Heavy Machinery.

I did think a tag team may have moved to Smackers since they lost Usos. Suppose they could still move this week. 

When i saw Cesaro pop up with Nak and Rusev, I thought oh christ we might be getting league of nations 2.0 but Sheamus was nowhere to be seen.

Did Asuka and Kairi tag in Japan?

Edited by rollthedice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, rollthedice said:

 

Did Asuka and Kairi tag in Japan?

I don't think so. Kairi was a regular for Stardom while Asuka wrestled for pretty much everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I don't think Kairi and Asuka ever crossed paths in Japan in any capacity. So I'll look forward to WWE telling us they're Best Friends because of their shared history in The Land Of The Rising Sun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it looks like being an intriguing time on Smackdown.

Obviously Roman's there for their FOX deal or whatever, but I think it presents  fascinating opportunity for both him and WWE to see if they can find the right formula to get him the reaction they're looking for. Smackdown being a shorter show stacked with talent usually allows people to thrive. There's usually a bit more roster rotation week-to-week, talent are less exposed and it takes a lot longer for an act to go stale. With Roman they've really got an opportunity to take advantage of that. So much of the fans' resentment of him, I think, comes from that feeling of having a one-note act consistently forced upon them. He's a good performer, but he's a very limited character, so seeing so much of him is like being in a bar or a rock club where they play 'Sweet Child O' Mine' four times an hour. On Smackdown, if they play to his strengths - short, sharp bursts of action on TV, culminating in good PPV matches - I can see the fans going easier on him. Alternatively, if WWE have him sucking up all the oxygen on Smackdown every week, taking up a quarter of every show just because they think the big star needs all the airtime, I can see the fans getting even more savage. Either way, I'm very curious to see how it goes.

Similarly, I wonder what they'll do with Elias. I've said before, I feel like his only use on Raw has been to fill spare time they don't know what to do with. A dirty old sponge sopping up minutes. But Smackdown doesn't have that spare time, so either they'll keep his act the same and the show's going to suffer for his mediocrity, or he'll have to adjust and we'll get to see whether he has any legs as an actual wrestler. As a Smackdown fan I'm a bit gutted he's there - he was probably the worst case scenario in my draft hopes - but maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Contrary to most, I usually come out of these things thinking, "Smackdown have made out like bandits!". This year I feel a bit differently, like things are a bit more even, but it still looks like being the better show. Somehow WWE still haven't figured out that Raw needs almost twice the talent SD does, so while things feel even slightly even on that front, barring some spectacularly bad work on the booking/writing side, Smackdown's always going to be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Pat and Lister, my knowledge of Japanese womens wrestling is literally non existent.

Did Io tag with Kairi or Asuka? Im sure ive read there was some combination of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, textonly said:

Contrary to most, I usually come out of these things thinking, "Smackdown have made out like bandits!". This year I feel a bit differently, like things are a bit more even, but it still looks like being the better show. Somehow WWE still haven't figured out that Raw needs almost twice the talent SD does, so while things feel even slightly even on that front, barring some spectacularly bad work on the booking/writing side, Smackdown's always going to be better.

I agree, feels alot more balanced this time with the top guy and top tag team in AJ and The Usos moving. 

Hopefully they do away with Elias being interrupted, I feel its well and truly ran its course. He needs a programme with someone, Ali or Finn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, rollthedice said:

Cheers Pat and Lister, my knowledge of Japanese womens wrestling is literally non existent.

Did Io tag with Kairi or Asuka? Im sure ive read there was some combination of them.

Io has tagged with both.

Io, her sister Mio, and Asuka were "Triple Tails" back in the day, whereas Io teamed with and fought Kairi several times over the years. Fought more often than teamed, though, I'd say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Ah, that famously successful character trait. See also Benjamin, Shelton.

To be fair, Smackdown has often been seen as the home of decent 'wrestling' out of the main roster brands, so it's not a ridiculous idea. People enjoyed the matches that Andrade had, for example, despite hardly having a character there.

Saying that, it's not like Gable doesn't have the capabilities of a decent character. He was always the 'funny' one in American Alpha and had far more on the mic than Jordan. Not that that's difficult.

I'd just like him to have the opportunity to go out and be himself rather than being Roode-lite which was never going to work long term, or ever really. I do genuinely think he's a great all rounder that could win people over eventually given a proper chance.

Edited by DavidB6937

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, textonly said:

I think it looks like being an intriguing time on Smackdown.

Obviously Roman's there for their FOX deal or whatever, but I think it presents  fascinating opportunity for both him and WWE to see if they can find the right formula to get him the reaction they're looking for. Smackdown being a shorter show stacked with talent usually allows people to thrive. There's usually a bit more roster rotation week-to-week, talent are less exposed and it takes a lot longer for an act to go stale. With Roman they've really got an opportunity to take advantage of that. So much of the fans' resentment of him, I think, comes from that feeling of having a one-note act consistently forced upon them. He's a good performer, but he's a very limited character, so seeing so much of him is like being in a bar or a rock club where they play 'Sweet Child O' Mine' four times an hour. On Smackdown, if they play to his strengths - short, sharp bursts of action on TV, culminating in good PPV matches - I can see the fans going easier on him. Alternatively, if WWE have him sucking up all the oxygen on Smackdown every week, taking up a quarter of every show just because they think the big star needs all the airtime, I can see the fans getting even more savage. Either way, I'm very curious to see how it goes.

Yeah this is definitely one of the biggest strengths of Smackdown. Guys like Bryan, Shane, Orton etc. being cycled in and out week to week definitely helped them and their stories stay fresh for longer. And you didn't even notice when they were gone! That's a big mistake they've been making with Becky recently, having her appear on both shows every week, even when there's no new content to back it. Her cameo this week for example was bizarre and had no purpose at all other than to fill three minutes.

I'm happy to here about Roode and Gable splitting. That gimmick was killing Chad Gable. Why does he worship Roode anyway? Roode is a nobody in WWE lore and Gable idolising and copying his shtick made him look like a complete goon. Hoping Bobby can get a decent mid card heel run out of it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else slightly concerned at the low key placement of Daniel Bryan since his injury at Wrestlemania?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea what show Tyler Breeze is on but personally I would pair him with Gable, I have said it before but I think they would make a great tag team, both good in the ring and have something about both that could make them shine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Io has tagged with both.

Io, her sister Mio, and Asuka were "Triple Tails" back in the day, whereas Io teamed with and fought Kairi several times over the years. Fought more often than teamed, though, I'd say.

Ah, now that's an interesting one. The story goes that the Io/Mio/Asuka trio was going to be getting a headline push in their promotion but then Io jumped to Stardom and broke the team up. Very Excitable People Who Are Probably Wrong insist that created SHOOT LEGIT HEAT between Io and Asuka and are adamant that if/when they end up on the same brand of WWE it'll be all the drama. (In reality, it appears more to be that they aren't going to be best mates just because they happen to come from the same country.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Yeah, I don't think Kairi and Asuka ever crossed paths in Japan in any capacity. So I'll look forward to WWE telling us they're Best Friends because of their shared history in The Land Of The Rising Sun.

I’m still rolling my eyes about them telling us Isaac Yankem and Mean Mark are brothers just because they’re both really tall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...