The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Daniel Bryan has been cleared for an in ring return, apparently. Him & Rowan having a stint as tag champs would make sense and hopefully stop Bryan falling apart for a bit.

With Bryan being a top guy, you can more easily programme them with a 'thrown together' team of upper-midcarders too.

Bryan and Rowan vs Big E and Xavier for the tag titles would make for a nice little carry on from Bryan vs Kofi with the built in story of how Big E and Xavier got Kofi the title match vs Bryan etc 

How long is Big E out for? I don't think it was particularly long term was it

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Other than Roman vs Braun, what have been the good non-title feuds between any wrestlers over the last couple of years?

I was thinking about this earlier and I think the lack of gimmicks and managers really hurts them in this regard. Since the end of the 80s boom, I'm not sure this has ever recovered. Back then you had Jim Duggan who'd feu with anyone who didn't like the USA, Jake who'd feud with anyone who didn't like or was afraid of snakes, Honky who'd hit people with his guitar, Savage who'd fight anyone who fancied Liz, Heenan and Hart who'd annoy people into fighting their charges, etc, etc. Ever since, what do you get? Bret Hart having a fight over his leather jacket. Booker T and Edge fighting over a shampoo commercial. The anomaly being the attitude era where a dick joke or something would do the job. And if it didn't, no-one cared because they were into everything.

I don't know how you solve that now. In fairness, you've got Elias who could hit someone with his guitar but it's meaningless now. Jeff Jarrett's fault. You haven't got managers or stables to cause shit. Only authority figures. If something isn't for a title or as a result of someone being screwed out of a title, hardly anyone cares.

• Paid Members

A miles better show mainly on account of being shorter, having much better focus on the Money In The Bank match including some decent little vignettes, a great Roman Reigns promo video, good tag title match and a good main event.

It did have some of the same horrible tropes as everything else though. The opening segment with everyone coming out to say nothing. The Usos being lame babyfaces. The new 3 man Wildcard rule seeing five blokes from Raw turn up. Sami Zayn, who was great for three weeks, losing after being dumped in the rubbish on Monday. Fun while it lasted.

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

A miles better show mainly on account of being shorter, having much better focus on the Money In The Bank match including some decent little vignettes, a great Roman Reigns promo video, good tag title match and a good main event.

It did have some of the same horrible tropes as everything else though. The opening segment with everyone coming out to say nothing. The Usos being lame babyfaces. The new 3 man Wildcard rule seeing five blokes from Raw turn up. Sami Zayn, who was great for three weeks, losing after being dumped in the rubbish on Monday. Fun while it lasted.

Just finished the show myself and echo most of this was alot more enjoyable and focused then Raw was

A few moans tho as you say Starting the show the same way as Raw just gets repetitive and Kofi quizzing AJ why he was there when he is on Raw now, despite him mentioning the wildcard rule about 5 times in his promo allready and ignoring the fact that Kofi had done the exact same thing the night before in crashing Raw, it made him seem a bit of an idiot.

Its a 4 man wild card rule but yeah 5 from Raw turned up, I can only assume The Uso's counted as 1 person rather then 2 which seems a silly way around it but I guess it helps them get more people on if tag teams are counting as 1 person rather then 2 individuals.

That Roman promo was fantastic wasnt it and some really clever editing made his Rumble win, his win over HHH at Mania and his win over Brock at Summerslam seem like it was greeted with Raucous Cheers rather then the apathy those wins were really greeted with.

• Paid Members

They may as well end the brand split now. You’ve got more than 3 wildcards coming over on each show and they’re getting title shots on Smackers. Title matches were good though and it was a much better watch than Raw.

AJ saying he’s missed smackdown was bizarre as he’s been gone what, 2 or 3 weeks? And gotta love Vinces humour. That shit with the Revival on Raw and then calling Sami Zayn smelly last night. He really does have the sense of humour of a child.

What’s the point in a brand split if you’re just going to stick people on willy nilly. End it now and allow for a steady rotation week to week, they’ve got all these people on the roster yet some weeks you’ve got guys pulling double duty. I’m not saying put the mid card belt on Sin Cara, but use guys like him to show who your stars are rather than have the perceived ‘top guys’ trade wins.

18 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

They may as well end the brand split now. You’ve got more than 3 wildcards coming over on each show and they’re getting title shots on Smackers. Title matches were good though and it was a much better watch than Raw.

Well, the rule is 4 for a start.  Zayn, AJ, Usos either counted as one, or the Miz doesn't count because he didn't do it officially, which might mean he ends up getting suspended like Vince McMahon said would happen.

Just now, The Dart said:

Well, the rule is 4 for a start.  Zayn, AJ, Usos either counted as one, or the Miz doesn't count because he didn't do it officially, which might mean he ends up getting suspended like Vince McMahon said would happen.

Taken from WWE.COM

The latest wrinkle in the ongoing Superstar Shake-up emerged this Monday on Raw when Mr. McMahon announced a new “Wild Card Rule” in which a limited number of Superstars from Raw or SmackDown would be invited to cross brand lines for one-night-only appearances, with unauthorized jumps to be penalized by fines or even potential firing. The number of crossover Superstars was initially capped at three — WWE Champion Kofi Kingston, Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns started things off by appearing on Raw this Monday — though Lars Sullivan evidently persuaded The Chairman to expand the limit to four.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, The Dart said:

My bad. I must’ve missed Lars convincing him to change it to 4 as the above post showed as I was sure Vince said 3 and that’s what I’ve thought the whole time. But, if they’re not keeping to their own rules then why should anyone care about it or get invested. But that’s typical wwe. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

• Paid Members

Hasn't one of the sheets said it was something Vince has had to do because the networks were expecting certain talents to turn up on the shows week in and week out? 

20 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Hasn't one of the sheets said it was something Vince has had to do because the networks were expecting certain talents to turn up on the shows week in and week out? 

USA Network have apparently had a word about why Roman Reigns was sent to Smackdown. As SD is still on their network until October it doesn’t really matter in the short term, but once the move to FOX happens, USA then wouldn’t have Reigns, the top baby face, appearing on their network for at least 6 months unless they do another draft or just kayfabe move him back to RAW.

According to Meltzer (so take that however you want), FOX are expecting 3million week in week out for Smackdown, and if they don’t get it will “consider cancellation”. Whether that means they can just terminate the deal whenever they want or are just making it clear that they won’t renegotiate when the time comes, I don’t know, but when was the last time (if ever) that Smackdown did 3million?

Edited by WyattSheepMask