The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

That's 27th televised match right? During their many feuds they probably wrestled each other countless times on house shows too. So we're probably well into the ten thousands now

Edited by PunkStep

Of all the shitehawks to bring back to give Kofi something to do at Super Saudi Shitshowdown they bring back fucking Ziggler, why not give Ali a shot if you’re not gonna be able to use Bryan, Owens or Zayn or even Rowan or countless others that could do with a one shot rub instead of that waste of space?

1 hour ago, Bohan said:

So the early predictions on how long Zayn's presumed new push would last now appear to be spot on, I make this his 5th televised loss without a win since his post Mania Raw return.

Didn't he beat Braun Strowman last week?

5 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

To be fair it was 3 vs 1 then he got put through a table straight after and then was removed from the money in the bank match anyway.

Yeah, I kind of instantly regretted my pedantry there. I do take the broader point.

I guess I'd just say that there was surely never any expectation that this Sami thing was going to actually be a push, was there? It was a new wrinkle to his character that had (and I'd say still has) potential to elevate him slightly. Aside from that, he's in the mixer like everyone else. You go out there, grind through pinball booking, hope the fans take to you regardless and hope an opportunity eventually opens up for you. I mean, obviously things could be better, but I don't think he's too much worse off for losing a bunch. Almost everyone does. I wouldn't take it as a great signal of WWE's intent or attitude. They're ambivalent about pretty much everyone except maybe Roman, Brock, Seth and the McMahons themselves.

Sami's like Elias now - he's an upper card heel with a good shtick to wind people up, then get beat by the babyface for the nice ending, then do the same thing next show. He can always get his heat back, and he hasn't got a belt, so he's bound to lose.

I'm up for Kofi vs Ziggler this time. It's become nostalgic to me now, shades of happier times, and it brings a tear to the eye to see them fighting for the big belt. Fuck off have they only wrestled 27 times, though. Kofi and Ziggler were the true version of Razor Ramon's lie about wrestling Shawn Michaels on every house show for three years.

Edited by King Pitcos

genuinely, if you take Kofi and Dolph being the model for perennial stuck in the midcard guys, Dolph always trying to break out of that to the main event and failing every time; he takes time off and Kofi suddenly gets the opportunity and makes it on the first try after 10 years. The logical way they've unintentionally had this story play out to this point means this is the most genuine and believable Dolph promo and (mini) feud he's had since...ever I think.

• Paid Members

Infinitely better show than Raw, again.

It's not something you can really do often before it'd get old, but I liked the show-long storyline of R-truth losing and then regaining the 24/7 Title. Drake Maverick made it even better by updating his Twitter as the show went on...

image.png.9196ea3f12d39022d01d62de483c061f.png

image.png.f3e1c722af26590f4cb527526a4290c5.png

image.png.90b49eae0181714aed44cb3cbfb9a865.png

Genuinely funny. Drake has been brilliant with this so far. They'd be fools to not make him the champion and give him ten to fifteen minutes throughout each show to do daft comedy. Feels like he's got the perfect personality to make a real go of it. A modern day Crash Holly.

Good match between Kevin Owens and Kofi. I guess that's the blow-off to their feud since Owens doesn't want to do the Saudi show. With each passing week it feels more and more like the matches on Raw are stretched out to fill time, whereas Smackdown being the perfect two hour length doesn't suffer the same problem. Nothing feels like it overstays its welcome on Tuesdays, whereas on Raw everything feels like Vince has made them add five minutes to it.

The video packages for Shane Appreciation Night and to hype the Triple H vs. Orton match were tremendous. Weird to hear Shane drop Kevin Dunn's name though. Surely he's not going to become a character on TV? I mean, I get it, there's a certain (smelly) subset of fans who'd probably treat him like the ultimate heel, but come on now. More heel authority figures? Really?!

Lacey and Charlotte was a great pairing. Their characters fit together excellently and it looked like they could make waves as a pair of snobs. Similar to what they were doing with Dana Brooke before they bottled it, I had visions of Lacey acting as Charlotte's lackey, continuing to improve on house shows in that role, then eventually doing the natural feud in twelve to eighteen months time. Charlotte mentioning on commentary that she was going to become a Grand Slam Champion by winning the tag belts with Lacey sounded perfect. So imagine my disappointment when they split up about thirty minutes after joining forces. Terrible decision.

I'm excited for The Undertaker on Raw next week. I was starting to think they were planning on doing that Goldberg vs. Undertaker match cold, without a single angle to build it up. Surely they're bringing Goldberg out on Monday too? Half the appeal of that match is the staredown and promo they can cut to build it up! It just seems weird that they're clearly rattled by AEW, and are scrambling for stuff to keep Raw's third hour rating up, yet haven't thought to bring in their best babyface of the past five to ten years. In fact, fuck it. There's still time. Bring Goldberg back this week, have him beat Seth Rollins for the Title and have Taker vs. Goldberg for the Universal Title instead. Seth and Corbin can have the same boring match we've seen a million times earlier on in the show. Let the real stars fight for the belt.

EDIT: And then Boom Box Brock cashes in on Goldberg! How did I not realise how perfectly that fits?! The Prince would love it!

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I read that they have a show coming up called "Stomping Grounds". Thought it was a (bad) joke. But no, it's true. A network special it appears. Fucking "Stomping Grounds". That's all-time bad.

Interesting to read supes thoughts on the show. I read a report this morning (PW.net) and the guy hated it.

5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I read that they have a show coming up called "Stomping Grounds". Thought it was a (bad) joke. But no, it's true. A network special it appears. Fucking "Stomping Grounds". That's all-time bad.

Interesting to read supes thoughts on the show. I read a report this morning (PW.net) and the guy hated it.

Supes?