PowerButchi

The Smackers Thread

43 minutes ago, AshC said:

Reckon ol' Brother Love has had a hand in the Bray vignettes?

Yeah, I said that to a mate on Tuesday morning. The way it's put together is so reminiscent of the vignettes of the early 90s he has to be producing it.

Did that Alesteir Black promo on Smackdown strike anyone else as the start of a heel turn? "Soon I'll be condemned" or whatever?

Miles better than Raw even with several very similar segments. It just shows that even though 3 hours isn't the whole problem, it does hurt them considerably. 90 mins excluding adverts and the show flies by. Focus on Kingston/Owens, with one of them actually being a heel, is just so simple and moves it on nicely. Feels like it's progressed each week over 3 weeks. As opposed to Rollins/Styles which isn't about anything and hasn't had a memorable moment, on Smackers you've had Owens in the New Day, the turn and the rebuttal. Could easily have dragged it out another week or two too. Whereas on Raw, Rollins and Styles just need the match to arrive NOW.

Didn't mention it in the Raw thread but should have, the Becky/Lacey stuff was the best bit of Raw and the Charlotte stuff progressed nicely here. Commentators should be hammering home how unfair it is that she has to fight twice on the card though. It's just too wishy washy. Becky shouldn't give a fuck but the commentary should build it.

Not impressed with the way they book Bayley. How a company who are booking Lars Sullivan so simply and perfectly (not sure anyone cares but that's by the by) just get some much wrong is beyond me. Bayley has been a star on NXT and was exciting on Raw originally. This is a fresh start so just reset the story. Don't do the "I'm here on Smackdown" shit, just tell the story that she's been in the tag team, she's back on her own, this is who she is, this is what she's done and give her wins over Carmella and Ember and Fire and Desire, etc. That they've gone straight into her losing to Charlotte and Becky is such a waste. But hey, wins and losses don't matter.

Enjoyed the Roman/Shane face off again. Good little angle with deck stacked against Roman too. Far better than what he was doing before.

Announced 4 MITB challengers on Raw, put them in a tag team match. Announced 4 MITB challengers on Smackers, put them in a tag team match. How lazy is that?

This week I watched both SmackDown and Raw via the WWE app. Bite size chunks, but yet more or less nothing was missed, other than entrances, which I skip through anyway. It was the best way I've watched either show in ages.

Yes, if there's a really big angle, it's going to be spoiled for you by the headline attached to the clip, but for 95% of the episodes each year, it's not going to be ruining anything. On top of that it costs nothing, it's hassle free, and I don't have to risk potential viruses as may be the case when watching in certain ways. Is it any wonder their viewers are going down when WWE decide to upload the whole show in small video clips, right as it happens. 

Even in this format, SmackDown was an easier watch than Raw. 

1 hour ago, WeeAl said:

Is it any wonder their viewers are going down when WWE decide to upload the whole show in small video clips, right as it happens. 

Do you ever go on YouTube?  Every TV show does it these days.  Teaser clips before the show airs on TV, which WWE do for their non live shows.  Clips of the show as soon as it's aired.  Unseen bits, deleted scenes etc a day or two after.  It's a very recognisable formula and they obviously see some benefits from doing it otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Edited by The Dart

7 minutes ago, The Dart said:

Do you ever go on YouTube?

Rarely, to be honest. I hardly ever go on it directly, and I would say almost all of my YouTube viewing is via embedded links on this forum. I gather there's tonnes of channels and stuff like that, I've just never spent the time figuring it out properly so that it works for me the way that I would like it too.

I use Google more to actually search for something, then click on the video clip that seems to closest resemble what I'm looking for. I don't often use YouTube's website or app directly for finding things. 

It's a shame they don't do cut down versions like NFL do for their games. Then I wouldn't need to rely on unofficial accounts etc.

Does Lars Sullivan make his own kecks? Surely they can box him off with something better than red undies and black duct tape?

While I also long for better booking for Bayley, I actually don't mind what they've done with her on Smackdown so far. I think Bayley's blessing and curse is that she tends to match the level of her opponent. Put her in a ring with Charlotte, Becky or Asuka and you start to think, "she belongs in that mix". Put her in the ring with one of the less talented wrestlers - even an Alexa Bliss, say, let alone a Mandy Rose - and it can be a bit rough. I think she needs strong opponents she can play underdog to for any of her stuff to work. So, sure, she's lost to Charlotte and Becky already, but she's looked good doing it. Even with the losses, I feel like she already looks like more of a competitive threat to Charlotte or Becky than she might have otherwise.

The Smackdown tag division is suffering, right? Personally, I won't miss the Hardys, but it's the one area they're genuinely weaker than Raw right now. Somehow they managed to lose The Usos, the Bar, the Club, the New Day and the Hardys in the space of a month. Who's left? Heavy Machinery, The B Team, Rusev/Nakamura, Sanity and the Colons? Ouch. Something has to be done, surely. Fantasy stuff, probably, but it feels like it'd be the perfect time for a Moustache Mountain or British Strong Style (Bate/Dunn) introduction. The only other babyface tag team I can think of is the Street Profits and I'd say they need some more NXT time. Alternatively, some randoms are getting slung together. Chad Gable's singles dreams could be dashed again pretty quickly.

I can't enjoy watching the IIconics wrestle, but I'll have them on commentary for every women's match ever... toots!

Sanity are gone - all three of them have been traded away from Smackdown. One to Raw, one to NXT, one to UK. Although that’s all easily undone. So it’s Heavy Machinery, B Team, Rusev/Nakamura and the Colons - although is Epico match fit? I swear Primo was on his own recently being a goon for a McMahon in a setting where it would’ve made more sense to have Epico there as well.

Ooh, there’s also the Singh brothers, just reverse their transfer to 205 Live. If Daniel Bryan’s fucked, or taking time off, Harper and Rowan could reunite again. It’s slim pickings still, but Woods and Big E will be knocking about again soon and they are enough to carry a division.

In terms of bringing anyone in to fill in numbers, they could chuck Slater and Rhyno over. So that could be an eight team tournament for new champs:

Rusev/Nakamura vs Slater/Rhyno

Heavy Machinery vs Singhs

B Team vs Harper/Rowan 

New Day vs Colons - assuming Big E is back wrestling in the next four weeks. If not, give the Headbangers a payday.

I’d be completely behind an extended New Day vs Rusev/Nakamura feud at the top of the tag division. 

I’d not be at all surprised to see Apollo Crews and Chad Gable team up. There’s no need for them both as singles wrestlers on the same show.

1 hour ago, textonly said:

The Smackdown tag division is suffering, right...

Or just quietly drop the belts, keep the women’s tags exclusive to Smackers and the men’s exclusive to Raw. Absolutely no need for so many tag belts as it is and despite their immense roster and amount of tv time they’ve seemed to always struggled to have more than one worthwhile tag division. I like a travelling champion gimmick, but I’d rather it was just a few titles and all champions travelled between brands. Doesn’t make a lick of sense that just the girls tags do.

14 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Enjoyed the Roman/Shane face off again. Good little angle with deck stacked against Roman too. Far better than what he was doing before.

You really are a sucker for punishment if you're enjoying yet another round of Roman Reigns v authority figure.  Why can't he just have a normal feud?  His feuds with Strowman and Joe on Raw were the only ones I can remember enjoying.

8 hours ago, Loki said:

You really are a sucker for punishment if you're enjoying yet another round of Roman Reigns v authority figure.  Why can't he just have a normal feud?  His feuds with Strowman and Joe on Raw were the only ones I can remember enjoying.

I like Shane in this role. It's fresh and he's excellent. I know it's another top babyface vs. authority feud but this one does at least have some legs given Shane has been a babyface for years, and years before that by proxy) and can get in the ring for a match eventually. Shane putting guys in the way like Elias adds something to what would be really drab otherwise.

We know they can't just book Reigns in feuds. They haven't got a clue unless there is a title involved. So if they're keeping him away from the title for now, for obvious reasons, this is the best we're getting without the other guy just getting cheered over him or it being boring like the McIntyre stuff.

Other than Roman vs Braun, what have been the good non-title feuds between any wrestlers over the last couple of years?