The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

They got me with the Owens turn. I was as surprised that it happened this week as I was that it didn't last week.

Lovely to see them avoid a clean finish in the main event. I know clean finishes are halcyon for all the Fin Martin's of the world but they kill them. Look at Bayley already.

12 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Apologies for being indelicate, but Daniel Bryan has definitely fucked it hasn’t he..?

I certainly hope not. ☹️

My hope is that he’s being kept off screen because there’s no one for him to feud with at the moment, and they don’t want him in the risky MITB match. 

As for the show, Jinder on Smackdown terrifies me. I don’t want to see him featured any more prominently than he was on Raw. Have him manage The Singh Brothers if you must, but please don’t have him wrestle. 

I’m kind of underwhelmed by this ‘new’ Smackdown roster in general, it feels quite stale. 

• Paid Members

Excellent little show. Charlotte and Becky feel like much bigger deals together than they have done apart, Bayley felt more relevant than she has in forever, benefitting massively from splitting up with Sulky Sasha, fun matches with Bayley vs. Charlotte and Balor vs. Andrade, then a brilliant closing angle where Big O broke my heart. It felt a week or two early but that just added to the shock of it. Really well done. 

Thus far, the card for Money in the Bank is looking infinitely better then Wrestlemania.

The replay of the Bray Wyatt thing stole the show though. It's even better and more interesting with repeat viewings. I'm blown away they've made me do such a 180 on him. I'm absolutely fascinated by this new character.

I'm more worried that the wheels will come of the Wyatt thing as soon as he wrestles.  He's never been an interesting wrestler to watch really beyond his 2 or 3 spoopy moves.  He's going to have to come back with essentially a whole new arsenal otherwise it'll be very disappointing.

• Paid Members

He's never been interesting outside of the Wyatt's match with The Shield at Elimination Chamber that year and the Daniel Bryan angle. Other than that, he's been a colossal bore, including his depressingly long entrance. 

If, when the vignettes are finished with, Wyatt is to be interesting as this latest incarnation, then he has work to do to make people forget about how much of a channel changer he has been for the past five years. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

He's never been interesting outside of the Wyatt's match with The Shield at Elimination Chamber that year and the Daniel Bryan angle. Other than that, he's been a colossal bore, including his depressingly long entrance. 

If, when the vignettes are finished with, Wyatt is to be interesting as this latest incarnation, then he has work to do to make people forget about how much of a channel changer he has been for the past five years. 

wwe raw laughing GIF

• Paid Members

Bray Wyatt and the Family had potential to be the greatest new character/faction of the past decade or more, but WWE just had no clue how to book him into their weekly TV format. The act was incredible in NXT and perfect right up until their Raw debut, then downhill steadily ever since. It's a familiar story by now, but of all the WWE's failures over the past few years, dropping the ball with Bray is the one that bothers me most. I've little faith in them putting it right this time round. 

As somebody else said it's best to just enjoy these Wyatt vignettes for what they are. And they're bloody brilliant. It'll be a bonus if they can translate it to the arena setting in a creative way, but they won't! It's nice to be reminded of Bray's potential though. The guy is probably the most captivating talker they have. The early Wyatt character from FCW/NXT up until the Cena feud was an exciting storm of potential. Him having any kind of genuine impact on Cena could have cemented him as a top star. He was just another guy after that though. A maniacal cult leader who lost and lost and was too shit to actually get into anybody else's heads. The character never got out of phase one and he become the boy who cried wolf. He's been dead in the water ever since, aside from that bit when The Shield made him relevant for a while. 

I loved the KO turn and get why they pulled the trigger but man, did anybody else want Big O just for a little while? Kevin as a heel has been put through the wringer and I can't help feel that he's gonna be stale again by next week. Hopefully they use this opportunity to keep Woods off tv for a bit so Kofi can be his own man and head to the ppv without relying on New Day stuff.

The Flair/Becky/Bayley bit was fun and said everything it needed to and was good lead in for a refreshingly good women's match. A reminder of what a good babyface Bayley can be if she's allowed to work for more than two minutes. I love the idea of the double champ doing double duty at the ppv as well. Becky may be the champ champ but she's flat lined. A double victory would be a good way of giving her some momentum back, plus you have the mitb winner looming over as an option to take when you like.

Poor Chad Gable needs some vignettes or something to push him through. He's a babyface now I guess. If they can keep him and Lars separate for a bit I don't think Gable would be a bad idea for Sullivan's first proper match. Let him get a bit of shine against him and look capable defeat.

Bryan being mysteriously absent feels rotten.

They're doing Reigns a solid at the moment as much as I hate Shane as the top heel. 

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Bray Wyatt and the Family had potential to be the greatest new character/faction of the past decade or more, but WWE just had no clue how to book him into their weekly TV format. 

The character just didn’t suit TV wrestling - the gap between expectations and realistic possibilities was too broad. He was never going to be knocking the Cena cash-cow off course, and they got cold feet with him recruiting Bryan after a week or two. The cult leader stuff would only have given him a Ministry of Darkness type group, and he never managed to do a promo that made the result of one of his matches seem important - or if there are exceptions, there aren’t many (the Undertsker match, maybe).

They had various cool ideas with him over the first year or so. But none of it ever translated to why he was wanting to pin someone for a three-count in a wrestling ring.