Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

I think they were trying this in mid 2000 when they had him cut his hair, change his gear and music and put Trish with him. Problem was they just made him bland. Although him and Rikishi did have what is now a pretty forgotten about feud which was really good during that time frame. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Callum1993 said:

I think they were trying this in mid 2000 when they had him cut his hair, change his gear and music and put Trish with him. Problem was they just made him bland. Although him and Rikishi did have what is now a pretty forgotten about feud which was really good during that time frame. 

Totally agree. They had a great match and feud in the middle of a stacked card, and it got them both more over. Venis came out looking like a star, and it's a shame he wasn't booked like one.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

His brief run as Bischoff's Chief-of-Staff is a much-undersung turn, I think. Some good bits of villainy during that time.

Conversely, I hated that whole Chief Morley shit. Taking heavily gimmicked wrestlers and making them into corporate stooge, straight-laced heel authority figures is often a recipe for boredom. See also - Kane.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Conversely, I hated that whole Chief Morley shit. Taking heavily gimmicked wrestlers and making them into corporate stooge, straight-laced heel authority figures is often a recipe for boredom. See also - Kane.

I'm somewhere in the middle on it. It wasn't bad but I didn't love it. I do love Carbomb's commitment to it though. He's always loved it and isn't for turning.

• Paid Members

I have a couple, the first one I think is mildly unpopular the 2nd I've never heard anyone agree with me.

1) Luger was a better in ring worker than Sting.

I completely agree he had far more and more sustained periods of poor ring work but he had highs that Sting never had. I've just finished watching Starrcade 89 and in the match between the 2 it's like night and day, Sting was carried something rotten in that match 

2) Rene Dupree was fucking good. La resistance, the French Tickle, Fifi and his tag with Kenzo Suzuki. All underrated

Edited by ElCece
I can't spell.

I'm not sure I could agree that Luger was better but he's sure as hell underrated with Sting often being overrated as if he was some kind of "super worker" at any point.

Looking back '97 Luger was better than '97 Sting though, they should have ran with him as champ after the August win over Hogan.

• Paid Members

Never seen a wrestler lose his worth ethic as quickly as Luger did in 1997, after Hogan beat him. He seemed to go "fuck it" after that. From 95 to 97 he was arguably WCW's best hand. Great heel and babyface. I think he realised what the game was when he chanced Hogan and then lost it back after 6 days. Another one they finished off while they had mileage.