Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

I don't believe that HHH was much more than a bit player in 90% of his time in the WWE. The only time he was 'the' star of the company was when there were no other alternatives. Whilst he had some stunning matches in 2000-2001 I find he was extremely over-rated given that his matches following the same formula and he is actually somewhat limited for the 'cerebral assassin'. 

But for a few exceptions (like Cody v Dustin or Brock v Goldberg) the wrestling business is fucking horrendous these days from top to bottom.

- total lack of talent with the ability to engage audiences emotionally

- total drought of credible characters 

- generation of proper box office stars has all but dried up

- Corporate wrestling is sterile, over produced, wooden, script read and inauthentic 

- Indy wrestling is full of fucking spot-fest, zero psychology, technical horse shit

Back in my day (shakes fist)... maybe it's just the evolution of the business passing me by, but a great book is still a great story, a great move still tells a compelling story, for me the story telling from the top down just doesn't evoke the same emotion it once did. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IronSheik said:

But for a few exceptions (like Cody v Dustin or Brock v Goldberg) the wrestling business is fucking horrendous these days from top to bottom.

- total lack of talent with the ability to engage audiences emotionally

- total drought of credible characters 

- generation of proper box office stars has all but dried up

- Corporate wrestling is sterile, over produced, wooden, script read and inauthentic 

- Indy wrestling is full of fucking spot-fest, zero psychology, technical horse shit

Back in my day (shakes fist)... maybe it's just the evolution of the business passing me by, but a great book is still a great story, a great move still tells a compelling story, for me the story telling from the top down just doesn't evoke the same emotion it once did. 

the rock eye roll GIF by WWE

On 12/26/2018 at 12:04 AM, air_raid said:

Bell to bell this is possibly true. Context is everything though, the first was in MSG on a bigger show for a title, was a breakthrough moment for Bret and had the better finish.

Hmmm...the finish in this always bothered me. I understand Hennig's back was shot to pieces and that was the reason he wasn't given time to be locked in it for any significant period but Hebner's calling for the bell before Bret has even planted his second foot. It was like a worked version of 'the Screwjob'.

I've always enjoyed Toni Storm as a live performer in a small audience (with admittedly little promo time). Can't say I've seen her on the old lantern.

Not applying this to her but somewhat related, I think there's a difference between being a good live wrestler and a good tv wrestler and it doesn't always get recognised by fans. There's an automatic assumption that one equals the other. In some cases it does, in some cases people have to work at being good at both and in some cases people are one but not the other. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 2:48 PM, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Toni Storm can be okay given a decent opponent but she seems indie as fuck to me. Her facials, selling and promo game is embarrassingly bad.

Late to the party, but she attempted some worked shoot promos in Stardom and they were bloody awful.

It was towards the end of her dreadful red belt run (or maybe just after) and she was having a moan about fans complaining about her reign.

Problem was the majority of complaints were not even directed at her (she was in a tough spot, only "winning" the belt because Mayu suffered a genuine injury during their match) but at Ogawa and Stardom.

Just made her look incredibly thin skinned.

Her piledriver is meh as well.