Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

14 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Where did the name come from, @air_raid?Ā Iā€™ve always known it as the Teardrop suplex but if it was never called that on TV I donā€™t know why. Is it one of these ones where they call it that on a game and everyone decides itā€™s right, like ā€˜movesetā€™?

I think it was called that on the NES game he was onĀ 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Louch said:

I think it was called that on the NES game he was onĀ 

Someone check the King of The Ring manual. On the 16-bit games it was Back Suplex (Royal Rumble) or Slingshot Suplex (Raw).

@HarmonicGeneratorĀ it's bound to be a video game. Shitloads of arbitrary names have been assigned over the years to avoid phrases like "modified" etc and keep character count down. Probably didn't think "back suplex 12" was a good name for a special.

"Moveset" can eat a bag of dicks.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Good call actually. Add the Piper match to the good list. Add the other 98% into the bin.

So aside from the (at least) three brlliant matches with Austin and the Piper one, we've got Perfect at SummerSlam 91, 123 Kid on Raw in 94, Owen at Mania 10, Owen at SummerSlam 94, KOTR 93 final with Bam Bam, two matches with Razor in 93, Michaels at Survivors 92, amazing match with Bulldog at IYH 5, Bulldog at SummerSlam 92, Lawler & Doink at SummerSlam 93, miraculous matches with Lafitte in 95, miraculous matches with Diesel in 94 & 95, Owen on Superstars, Owen tribute match with Benoit, the final four, JHarts vs. Demos at SummerSlam 90, Harts/Brainbusters the year before, Harts/Rockers hidden gem, Harts/Bulldogs pretty much every time, Bret & Owen vs. Steiners on WrestleFest 94 tape, Undertaker in Manchester, taker's debut match at Survivors 90, etc, etc.

I'll shut up now.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, garynysmon said:

The ā€œRuthless Aggressionā€ era was crap, with the companyĀ being forced to push vanilla midgets to the top of the card as the WWE had run out of proper stars.

There is nothing wrong, in essence, with Vince McMahonā€™s style of pushing bigger guys.Ā 

That "era" for me is absolutely defined by the arrival and push of some truly terrible big men. And a renewed push for the big, fat, fucking Show. Lesnar's Survivor Series team that time should give us nightmares.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

Shawn went home with a shoulder breaker?? I'm going to need to see this. I remember when he bounced around between the superkick, flying elbow and piledriver for ages after deciding the side suplex was crap, but this is learning for me.

I think I've misremembered a video game. It was Papa Shango with the shoulder breaker, wasn't it? You're right, HBK was that naff suplex.

Edit: Sorry to TP

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

So aside from the (at least) three brlliant matches with Austin and the Piper one, we've got Perfect at SummerSlam 91, 123 Kid on Raw in 94, Owen at Mania 10, Owen at SummerSlam 94, KOTR 93 final with Bam Bam, two matches with Razor in 93, Michaels at Survivors 92, amazing match with Bulldog at IYH 5, Bulldog at SummerSlam 92, Lawler & Doink at SummerSlam 93, miraculous matches with Lafitte in 95, miraculous matches with Diesel in 94 & 95, Owen on Superstars, Owen tribute match with Benoit, the final four, JHarts vs. Demos at SummerSlam 90, Harts/Brainbusters the year before, Harts/Rockers hidden gem, Harts/Bulldogs pretty much every time, Bret & Owen vs. Steiners on WrestleFest 94 tape, Undertaker in Manchester, taker's debut match at Survivors 90, etc, etc.

I'll shut up now.

Yep, seen mostĀ of them during my time and pretty much couldn't see the hype. Not to say I didn't enjoy some of them, but most of the time I was bored out of my mind or baffled by how they were getting rave reviews

My aunt bought me a few WWF VHS tapes back in t'day, a few being Best Of Bret comps, which is where I started to wonder why he was so popular.Ā I even rewatched the two famous ones with Owen quite a few times as I thought I was must be a wrong'un for not 'getting it'. As an aside, I do enjoy Owen a hell of a lot more, he's someone I could sit and watch for hours.

The tags and multimans that are mentioned I likedĀ more than his singles stuff. Maybe that's because he is hidden away or there are other people to focus on. I was always a HBK guy anyway (except for when he turned heel in '97, that really upset and confused 9Ā year old me).

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I'll shut up now.

Bret wrestled five completely different brilliant matches at KOTR and SummerSlam 93, didnt he? In fact in a big 5 between KOTR and Mania X he had 10 matches, was in lengthy matches at the next 3 ppvs of 94 then was pulling double duty again at the first In Your House. Bret used to put a shift in. No wonder he was knackered by 96.