Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

On 6/15/2019 at 6:15 PM, Vamp said:

Not applying this to her but somewhat related, I think there's a difference between being a good live wrestler and a good tv wrestler and it doesn't always get recognised by fans. There's an automatic assumption that one equals the other. In some cases it does, in some cases people have to work at being good at both and in some cases people are one but not the other. 

I've always thought Cena's stuff looks much slicker and natural live compared to watching him on TV. 

I still think Charlotte got put into the Mania main event because Vince wanted Ric Flair to see one of his kids in that spot before he passes away (and I hate to say it but it’s not looked good for Ric on one or two occasions during the last year or so as we all know).

• Awards Moderator

Yeah, but other than...

On 8/3/2018 at 9:32 AM, tiger_rick said:

(at least) three brlliant matches with Austin and the Piper one, we've got Perfect at SummerSlam 91, 123 Kid on Raw in 94, Owen at Mania 10, Owen at SummerSlam 94, KOTR 93 final with Bam Bam, two matches with Razor in 93, Michaels at Survivors 92, amazing match with Bulldog at IYH 5, Bulldog at SummerSlam 92, Lawler & Doink at SummerSlam 93, miraculous matches with Lafitte in 95, miraculous matches with Diesel in 94 & 95, Owen on Superstars, Owen tribute match with Benoit, the final four, JHarts vs. Demos at SummerSlam 90, Harts/Brainbusters the year before, Harts/Rockers hidden gem, Harts/Bulldogs pretty much every time, Bret & Owen vs. Steiners on WrestleFest 94 tape, Undertaker in Manchester, taker's debut match at Survivors 90

... what did Bret Hart ever do for us?

BD109274-120D-4315-909F-2CF4CEA46574-38300-0000204F5EE8A485.thumb.jpg.6e9424f50bd48e68c68add0e37bb39e3.jpg

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Michael_3165 said:

No no no. Way over rated. I don't get it at all. Great athlete but charisma vacuum for most of his run.

Even if this post is replying to one from March 2018, I still feel the need to disagree completely. ‘The King Of The Cruiserweights’ was the shining light of 205 Live and a stronger character than most of modern WWE.

15 minutes ago, Maikeru said:

The star rating system is meaningless. The criteria used is extremely vague and unclear; what makes a good wrestling match is pretty much entirely down to personal opinion. 

Careful you don’t burn yourself on that hot take there!

In general, wrestlers and promoters ought to be more respectful and grateful to fans given their support for what is a very niche product at the end of the day. People who are entertained by, and prepared to suspend their disbelief and cheer for other people pretending to fight, and pay money to see them do something they really enjoy should be appreciated (unless they are abusive obviously). Otherwise one of these days there just might not be too many of them around anymore.  

21 hours ago, Maikeru said:

The star rating system is meaningless. The criteria used is extremely vague and unclear; what makes a good wrestling match is pretty much entirely down to personal opinion. 

The thing I don't like about the ratings system is it's brainwashed people into thinking all matches needs to be chokka with near falls, go at least 20 mins, have high spots. I even think the wrestlers think this. RAW matches and lower card PPV matches should tell a different story from the main-event. 

The problem with every wrestler having the "I'm gonna have the best match on the card" mentality is they lose sight of the story or feud or role they're out there to portray. Fair enough, match rating system has a place, but it's not conclusive. Wrestling is about the story. 

Edited by LEGIT

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The star system became completely meaningless as soon as the idiot started handing out 6 and 7 stars. Before that it barely had any merit anyway.

That would technically mean it's been meaningless since 1994 (Misawa-Kawada got 6 Stars), not that it devalues your point in fairness. It's an utterly subjective rating system based on one man's opinion and people lend it  far too much credence beyond that.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, LEGIT said:

The thing I don't like about the ratings system is it's brainwashed people into thinking all matches needs to be chokka with near falls, go at least 20 mins, have high spots. I even think the wrestlers think this. RAW matches and lower card PPV matches should tell a different story from the main-event. 

The problem with every wrestler having the "I'm gonna have the best match on the card" mentality is they loose sight of the story or feud or role they're out there to portray. Fair enough, match rating system has a place, but it's not conclusive. Wrestling is about the story. 

I went to a seminar with a British wrestler who said that you have to have false finishes and near falls in your matches these days because it's what people expect. I said nothing at the time out of respect, but was mentally pulling my hair out - it's entirely dependent on the story of the match, and where it sits on the card. In the opening match you shouldn't be busting out multiple finishers and high spots!