Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

• Paid Members

Not only is HBK/Undertaker overrated, I'd also hold it, along with Michaels vs. Flair, largely responsible for a subsequent decade of self-conscious "epic" Wrestlemania matches in which WWE main eventers strove for dramatic "moments" over any organic sense of drama or logical pacing. Fuck it.

It's time we have a good talk about post-comeback Shawn. Some quality stuff, but his tendency for overacting has been a shit influence on the business. For every banger against Triple H at Summerslam 2002, there's a self indulgent match against Triple H at Armageddon 2002, or Royal Rumble 2004, or Bad Blood 2004. I always gave "I'm sorry, I love you" a bit of a pass, because the occasion merited some melodrama, but all these talky acting moments they're currently fond of on random NXT Takeovers, particularly with Gargano, can piss right off.

You could argue his influence is bad even beyond the melodramatic acting. Ziggler probably studies HBK tape everyday to get every movement spot on and he's just absolutely foul.

Edited by sj5522

I often lose focus during those kind of epic matches, there are only so many 2.9 nearfalls I can take before I'm rolling my eyes and wishing for it all to be over.

There's a good amount of Kurt Angle matches in TNA that people adored that I thought turned to shit because of that.

• Paid Members

"I'm sorry I love you" worked, but it caused Triple H to ruin every match he had for years afterwards trying to have his "I'm sorry I love you" moment.

Couple that with Kurt Angle in-ring and Johnny Ace out of it pivoting to multiple finisher spam finishing sequences from the mid-00s onwards, and you've got the makings of a lot of the flaws of modern WWE being laid down and established as the norm there.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

It's time we have a good talk about post-comeback Shawn. Some quality stuff, but his tendency for overacting has been a shit influence on the business. For every banger against Triple H at Summerslam 2002, there's a self indulgent match against Triple H at Armageddon 2002, or Royal Rumble 2004, or Bad Blood 2004. I always gave "I'm sorry, I love you" a bit of a pass, because the occasion merited some melodrama, but all these talky acting moments they're currently fond of on random NXT Takeovers, particularly with Gargano, can piss right off.

You could argue his influence is bad even beyond the melodramatic acting. Ziggler probably studies HBK tape everyday to get every movement spot on and he's just absolutely foul.

Can't argue with any of this, as much as it pains me to do so. I love Shawn and his post-comeback was tremendous, but he did go a bit overboard. If we're to believe the reports, he is the one actually agenting those NXT Gargano matches, so anything that looks HBK influenced probably came from the man himself (again, if reports are to believed).

On another point, I just tried to rank those HHH/HBK matches and I really struggled.  For such a memorable feud they didn't half produce some wank. The SummerSlam match is one of my all-time favourites but everything else is a drastic downturn in quality;

1. No Holds Barred, SummerSlam 2002 (obviously)

------Big Gap------

2. RAW, 29.12.2003 (bell-to-bell brilliant TV match, overbooked finish)

3. Last Man Standing, Royal Rumble 2003 (great action, a bit too long, crap finish)

4. Three Stages Of Hell, Armageddon 2002 (big bumps, too long, dead crowd)

5. Hell In A Cell, Bad Blood 2004 (Massive disappointment, way too long, self-indulgent tosh)

In fact, if I could, I'd stick the final segment of the 2002 Elimination Chamber where it's just the two of them in the number two spot. A blisteringly hot end to a really great match, and probably still the best EC match to date.

The first Hell In A Cell is also still the best HIAC, and that one also includes HBK, so I need to add that in here in order to balance out this rare HBK diatribe from myself.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

AEW could have slapped together any old shite of a roster (to compliment Jericho, The Young Bucks, Cody etc) and it would still have been the best thing ever to some.

At least TNA have the nerve to actually slap together any old shite of a roster.