Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

There is something extremely "Galaxy Brain" about making a career out of shoot interviews, while spending every waking moment complaining about other people "killing the business".

I agree with @Accident Prone though that the snitch-taggers are far worse than him, because there's little if any actual thought process behind what they're doing. You can tell when someone starts using Cornette buzzwords in their criticism of wrestling - "outlaw mud show", or using his shitty nicknames for wrestlers - that they haven't an original thought in their head, they're just blindly parroting his opinions.

In a broader sense - I have friends who have written academic papers on the history of wrestling and the nature of kayfabe, I have been involved in long, detailed discussions of the changing nature of kayfabe and pro-wrestling, how wrestling relates to MMA and to broader pop culture, and how wrestling navigates those relationships. The question of "how wrestling works" is one that's always changing, so for anyone - Jim Cornette, Joey Ryan, Vince Russo or Vince McMahon - to say, definitively, "Wrestling has to be X" is extremely irritating, because it's ignorant of decades of history that have seen what wrestling "is" change time and time again. And of course it's just a happy coincidence that wrestling just happened to be in its perfect, correct form at around the time Jim Cornette started watching it and then first got involved in the business.

The Quackenbush speech about his philosophy on wrestling and it's possibilities is the perfect summation of why I love it.

It's also no surprise that Cornette has, in the past absolutely slammed Quack on his podcast despite Cornette himself being complicit in the state of the current wrestling environment.

Another thing that bugs me is Cornette's picking of easy targets. I must have missed his 15 minute rant about Liger's love of 'Thumb up the bum' spots. Mostly 'cos I'm convinced he wouldn't fucking dare.

Edited by BrodyGraham
Oh and another thing...............

• Paid Members

On the same topic, just seen this on Twitter;

From the pilot of a Jerry Jarrett/Jim Cornette pitched project that's basically "American Idol for wrestling", with Cornette as one of the judges.

So Jim Cornette, complaining about wrestlers exposing the business, is actively exposing the business and presumably wants a broader audience to see it. Jim Cornette, who every day seems to be insulting some wrestler or other as not belonging in a ring, is working on a format which positively ensures that inferior wrestlers will receive a platform and a paycheque. It's almost as if it's got nothing to do with him protecting the imagined integrity of the wrestling business, and everything to do with him working a gimmick that allows him to be an arsehole with impunity.

• Paid Members

I've always hated that bollocks. It was bad enough when the FWA or some other Alex Shane-run promotion was proposing to have "match of the night" awards, along with bonus purses for the winners. It's one thing to break kayfabe off-screen, but to make it part of the product on-screen or in-show is just pants and always has been.

7 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Show me a promotion alive today that is making money, has a rabid following and also follows Jim's philosophy on professional wrestling.

I would say that a profitable promotion with a rabid following that buys into Jim's philosophy would increase it's profits and vocal fanbase, off the back of Cornette's wisdom.

Didn't SMW operate in the red for most of it's run and die on its arse within four years?

I know people will blame the wrestling recession and the small markets they ran in but one look at the demo reel for it tells you that Cornette's idea of wrestling is narrow minded at best. 

I also doubt he particularly believed in what he said when he started spewing it. Like all old timers though he has probably told the lie so many times that he believes it. 

Edited by Vamp

Here's genius Jim's booking of WrestleMania X8 - he's ignored things like contracts and injuries, so he could have his pick of the 2002 wrestling business, and this is what he came up with:

Steve Austin v Mick Foley (world title match)
Undertaker v Terry Funk
The Rock v Sting
Hulk Hogan (with Jimmy Hart) v Dusty Rhodes (with Jim Cornette)
Vince McMahon v Ric Flair (if Flair wins he gets Eric Bischoff for 5 minutes)
Dudley Boyz v Road Warriors (tag team title match)
Kurt Angle v Chris Benoit (ironman match)
Triple H v Booker T
Edge and Christian (with Trish Stratus) v Nova and Jerry Lynn (ladder match)
Big Show and Kane v Steiner Brothers
Chris Jericho v Lance Storm
Hardy Boyz v Dustin Rhodes and Jeff Jarrett
Eddie Guerrero, Perry Saturn and Dean Malenko v Chavo Guerrero, Rey Mysterio and Chris Candido (with Tammy Sytch)
Brock Lesnar (with Paul Heyman) v Bam Bam Bigelow
Rhyno v Kevin Nash
14 man battle royal with Steve Blackman, D-Lo Brown, Al Snow, Val Venis, Bull Buchanan, Justin Credible, William Regal, Bill Demott, Balls Mahoney, Rob Van Dam, DDP, Kanyon and the Harris twins

• Paid Members

I don't really care about Cornette's opinions on modern wrestling because I don't watch modern wrestling. I sort of agree with him regarding the sorts of high spots you see these days, where cunts are bouncing right back up after taking a spike piledriver through 26 tables off a lamppost. That sort of shit will kill wrestling eventually because there's only so far you can go, and I hate that sort of shit.

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he has outmoded opinions and I don't know why anybody cares about what he thinks of wrestling these days. The difference between him and many of his generation is that he has the gift of the gab, and that's why his dissenting voice is heard loudest. He's a brilliant talker - after all, that's what got him most of his success in the first place. For that reason, I'll happily listen to him talk about anything even if I don't know half the wrestlers he may be referring to these days. His YouShoots and Timelines are still the best Kayfabe Commentaries have ever done for a reason.

• Paid Members

His deep dives on The Experience are interesting. When he goes off bitching about politics and Koreans eating dogs etc then it can get a bit tiresome and repetitive. The Drivethru has some good anecdotes as well. 

• Paid Members

Cornette is immensely enjoyable and I love listening to his stories. But I wish he would stick to talking about days gone by and just accept, like I and many others have done on the whole, that modern day wrestling isn't really for us any more.

There's no shame in that. Once you admit to yourself that it will never be as good as it was during "our era" then it becomes so much easier to stomach.

If something piques your interest, then great, you can go and watch it back. If not, then you haven't wasted your time on it anyway.

Edited by garynysmon

47 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Cornette is immensely enjoyable and I love listening to his stories. But I wish he would stick to talking about days gone by and just accept, like I and many others have done on the whole, that modern day wrestling isn't really for us any more.

The trouble is, he’s proven himself a liability to any wrestling promotion of note, and he needs to make a living. People are more interested in him ranting about wrestling being shit now than they are in him reminiscing about being on the road with a regional tag team in the eighties.