Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

People are more interested in him ranting about wrestling being shit now than they are in him reminiscing about being on the road with a regional tag team in the eighties.

I think he's achieved more than that to be fair and was part of the WWF, WCW and TNA writing teams as well as running his own, albeit smaller scale promotions.

I think he'd be great in a Jim Ross or Bruce Prichard-esque podcast with Conrad Thompson or whatever. In his 1997 WWF year in review shoot for KC he had a dossier/diary which he was able to leaf through and refer to.

I bet he has something similar for much of his career and would be a much better vehicle for his experiences than what is essentially a bit of a bitch and a moan in his directionless current podcast.  

Edited by garynysmon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

This. Sure it may have been stunning at the timer but it's aged horribly. Esp compared to savaged v steamboat WMIII

Their match at IYH5 was better imo. Love the SummerSlam match but a lot of that is down to the venue and rabid crowd.

Also helps that the majority of card was average to rubbish.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

I always preferred Savage vs Warrior From SS92. 7 year old me was always way more invested and genuinely concerned for both of them. Out of the two matches it's the one I've rewatched the most over the years.

That's one of the most disappointing matches I've ever seen. Obviously WM7 is tough to follow because it's the best match ever but still. Warrior's gear is shit for a start. And that whole Flair and Perfect thing is just a pointless distraction. Such a shame.

Bret and Bulldog at IYH5 is great. I'd also have it above the SummerSlam match. That is worked timelessly though. It's not aged at all badly. That finish is a beauty too.

10 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

That's one of the most disappointing matches I've ever seen. Obviously WM7 is tough to follow because it's the best match ever but still. Warrior's gear is shit for a start. And that whole Flair and Perfect thing is just a pointless distraction. Such a shame.

Totally agree on WM7 being a tough act to follow and maybe it's a nostalgia thing, like how I love Crush despite a lot of folk wrongly believing he's shit, but I think it's great. Will agree on the gear, even aged 7 that made it awkward as fuck for me to watch with my parents or grandparents in the same room. Like I say though, to me as a kid there was this huge sense of jeopardy and I bought in to the "who's corner is Mr Perfect going to be in" angle.

The opening promo package sets it up marvellously and is a big part of the whole experience, how it shows the build up in tensions between the two, the beatdown by the Nastys, Flair and Perfect looked so vicious and the commentary sold it like it was the worst thing to happen ever. I remember watching it at my grandparents house when I first got the tape and still believing it was real was totally concerned for Savage and Warrior's safety, not knowing if Warrior was going to become a baddy and side with Flair and Perfect. Savage's selling of the knee is phenomenal, his facial expressions are marvellous and when Warrior picks him up at the end and holds his arm in the air was and still is a goosebump inducing, heart-warming ending.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Totally agree on WM7 being a tough act to follow and maybe it's a nostalgia thing, like how I love Crush despite a lot of folk wrongly believing he's shit, but I think it's great. Will agree on the gear, even aged 7 that made it awkward as fuck for me to watch with my parents or grandparents in the same room. Like I say though, to me as a kid there was this huge sense of jeopardy and I bought in to the "who's corner is Mr Perfect going to be in" angle.

The opening promo package sets it up marvellously and is a big part of the whole experience, how it shows the build up in tensions between the two, the beatdown by the Nastys, Flair and Perfect looked so vicious and the commentary sold it like it was the worst thing to happen ever. I remember watching it at my grandparents house when I first got the tape and still believing it was real was totally concerned for Savage and Warrior's safety, not knowing if Warrior was going to become a baddy and side with Flair and Perfect. Savage's selling of the knee is phenomenal, his facial expressions are marvellous and when Warrior picks him up at the end and holds his arm in the air was and still is a goosebump inducing, heart-warming ending.

You've still not sold me on the match. It's been a disappointment for 27 years so one post isn't doing it. I'm with you on Kona Crush all the way though. I thought he was the business. I'm almost certain it never crossed my mind that he was in Demolition and I just loved the colour, size and gimmick. And he crushed heads. Come on, how is that not cool?

I was another Crush supporter in his 1992 singles run.

The first time I ever made a sign was for UK Rampage 1993 when I was pretty sure Crush was going to beat Shawn Michaels for the Intercontinental Title.

I cut out a photo of Crush from WWF Magazine doing the head-crushing hand gesture and put a photo of HBK's head in between his hands along with the words "GET CRUSHED MICHAELS!".

Not sure if Big Bri got to see my handywork however as I was sitting quite near the back of Sheffield Arena and the sign was A4 size. So probably not.

Granted I’ve only watched his matches years after they happened so I should probably apply a bit of context to the fact, but in general I find it really hard to enjoy a Bret Hart match.

They tend to be kind of...boring. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy his character work, especially during his heel pro-Canada run. But once the bell rings I almost always lose interest.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

I felt similar at the time, and still do. Bret was very methodical, and what he did made sense, but it lacked the flash and fire I like from a babyface. I thought his playing possum strategy was cowardly and dishonest as well, especially in a face vs face match.

I knew you'd be along shortly. Knobhead :laugh: