Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

I agree with the Piper match being great, but the Bulldog match doesn’t hold up well at all for me. I think it’s because Roddy has charisma and character and a great flair for drama that made up for Bret’s plainness, whereas Davey didn’t. It was a bitter pill for me to swallow when that Bret DVD came out in 2005, I’d not watched it since the first sky airing in 1992 - and it was one of the matches I was most invested in as a child.

Around 2005 I switched over to MMA, now I can't for the life of me stomach wrestling. I just see the obvious flaws in matches and mistakes they make that would get them destroyed in a real fight. These days it also seems like wrestlers realize most people know what a real fight looks like, so they have disregarded about 80% of trying to make a match look or feel real and things are a lot more choreographed.

So we're at a point where theres no going back, you can't reintroduce kayfabe because of the times we live in. So why not just go all the way? Use trampolines and shit, make the ring more padded, strap guys to harnesses, have them shoot lazers and just have crazy movie fight scene stuff.

Otherwise why bother risking your body 200 days a year? Because you just love pretending to fight another man in your undies? 

And as fans, why bother watching? MMA has just about everything pro wrestling has. Blood, drama, backstage antics, crazy characters, crazy matches where people get hurt, moves that legit work in a fight, hilarious promos, beautiful bodies(no homo) and guess what, it's mostly real and the stuff that's not(like fake beef) is treat in a way where you won't know.

I just feel pro wrestling is becoming obsolete. I hear the ratings haven't been painting a pretty picture either

35 minutes ago, Benoitmark said:

Around 2005 I switched over to MMA, now I can't for the life of me stomach wrestling. I just see the obvious flaws in matches and mistakes they make that would get them destroyed in a real fight. These days it also seems like wrestlers realize most people know what a real fight looks like, so they have disregarded about 80% of trying to make a match look or feel real and things are a lot more choreographed.

So we're at a point where theres no going back, you can't reintroduce kayfabe because of the times we live in. So why not just go all the way? Use trampolines and shit, make the ring more padded, strap guys to harnesses, have them shoot lazers and just have crazy movie fight scene stuff.

Otherwise why bother risking your body 200 days a year? Because you just love pretending to fight another man in your undies? 

And as fans, why bother watching? MMA has just about everything pro wrestling has. Blood, drama, backstage antics, crazy characters, crazy matches where people get hurt, moves that legit work in a fight, hilarious promos, beautiful bodies(no homo) and guess what, it's mostly real and the stuff that's not(like fake beef) is treat in a way where you won't know.

I just feel pro wrestling is becoming obsolete. I hear the ratings haven't been painting a pretty picture either

I literally just said the same sort of thing on Twitter about an hour ago. I have loved pro wrestling since I was 7 years old and its got to the point where there is nothing in wrestling that isn't being taken over and made part of the wwe machine and that isn't for me.

UFC has become the best parts of pro wrestling but with a much bigger payoff. Wins and losses mean something and you see people rising up and that for me is so exciting. Tonight for 243 the world is watching, there has been rumours the president is attending. When you have something like this how can you go back and look at something like crown jewel and feel excited and you have to watch it no matter what 

21 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I literally just said the same sort of thing on Twitter about an hour ago. I have loved pro wrestling since I was 7 years old and its got to the point where there is nothing in wrestling that isn't being taken over and made part of the wwe machine and that isn't for me.

UFC has become the best parts of pro wrestling but with a much bigger payoff. Wins and losses mean something and you see people rising up and that for me is so exciting. Tonight for 243 the world is watching, there has been rumours the president is attending. When you have something like this how can you go back and look at something like crown jewel and feel excited and you have to watch it no matter what 

I get your point, but I feel you've chosen a really bad example to try and illustrate it.

For all its flaws, if there's one thing that WWE managed with Crown Jewel, it's that it felt like a big deal. They stacked it with names, had a really hot crowd in a big stadium and provided some monumental moments.

They did but also that show was only that way because of the Saudi deal no other reason. Look at the big matches that they built for it what were the payoff for all of them. 

They made both cain and Tyson look weak and jobbers giving no reason to feel excited or like they are a real big star in the future. 

UFC have put this card together and every fight has big stakes where even in defeat for the most part everyone will walk away with a next chapter part of the story 

2 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

They did but also that show was only that way because of the Saudi deal no other reason. Look at the big matches that they built for it what were the payoff for all of them. 

They made both cain and Tyson look weak and jobbers giving no reason to feel excited or like they are a real big star in the future. 

UFC have put this card together and every fight has big stakes where even in defeat for the most part everyone will walk away with a next chapter part of the story 

I don't think there needs to be a payoff for everything. Sometimes it's perfectly fine just to have a marquee match between two big names.

I wouldn't say Cain looked weak. It's not how I'd have booked it, but I thought they played it okay considering his limitations. Same with Fury. Both performed in a way relative to how they'd been built up.

2 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

If your problem with wrestling is that you've set yourself rules to not like anything that's under the WWE umbrella, now is an odd time to get upset. AEW isn't part of WWE, nor is New Japan, or the Mexican promotions. And there are loads of shitty local indies (in the US, UK, Ireland, Australia and probably loads of other countries) that have nothing to do with WWE.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Bald Kane was the best Kane.

Original full mask Kane is obviously the best Kane. But bald Kane is better than any other masked Kane. For a little period there where he first unmasked he was far and away the best thing on the show and had some of that terrifying aura back. The original look and music though, c'mon.

It goes:

1.Original Kane

2.Setting JR on fire Kane

3.Group Therapy Kane

My contribution - MJF is merely a confident talker, beyond that it's all rubbish heel cliche'.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

My contribution - MJF is merely a confident talker, beyond that it's all rubbish heel cliche'.

I don't think that's a particularly unpopular opinion, around here at least. Just by being a confident talker in 2020 he's already elevated himself above most of his peers though. Talking is becoming something of a lost art and you could argue that it's more important to pro wrestling that the wrestling part.