Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

Becky Lynch has always been and still is the fourth most talented member of WWE's Four Horsewomen.

Maybe joint-third with Bayley, but definitely not in the same league as Charlotte or Sasha Banks.

Outside of that 6 month period from SummerSlam 2018 to the aftermath of Royal Rumble 2019, there's not much of note there in or out of the ring.

Charlotte Flair & Sasha Banks were having better matches and more memorable moments before that time, and are still getting better now. Becky has peaked.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Show me a promotion alive today that is making money, has a rabid following and also follows Jim's philosophy on professional wrestling.

I'm not sure quite what Mountevans is referring to because it's such a bland statement but I don't think anyone could argue that for all his faults, Cornette is absolutely spot on about the fundamentals of pro-wrestling. He was already out of touch in 1997 so he's probably not got value as a booker but as a sounding board, I think he'd be a good asset to any company if he could work with other people. He's great at the Who? What? Why? stuff because he absolutely gets the basics. I just don't think there's a company around who wouldn't sack him in three days for being utterly obnoxious.

• Paid Members

As you said, Jim's grasp on the basics and fundamentals are solid, but his ideas as to what pro wrestling is and what it can be are incredibly outdated, and he shifts his focus and moves the goal posts in order to keep his fans entertained and outraged.

I should add that at this point I find Jim's snitch-tagging fanbase to be a worse force in wrestling than Jim himself though. Every fucking GIF of someone taking any bump bigger than a backdrop, or anyone with a whacky gimmick, or anyone having a bit of a laugh with the utterly weird nature of pro wrestling, anything like that at all sees a herd of Cornette Cattle tagging his name in order to get a rise out of the old fool. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

As you said, Jim's grasp on the basics and fundamentals are solid, but his ideas as to what pro wrestling is and what it can be are incredibly outdated, and he shifts his focus and moves the goal posts in order to keep his fans entertained and outraged.

This is the point where, on wrestling grounds, I take umbrage with him. His criticisms always used to be broadly financial - "funny doesn't make money". His criticism of wrestlers he didn't like was always that they would never draw money. But then when Kenny Omega starts selling out the Tokyo Dome, that argument doesn't work any more, so he shifts the goalposts, and now it's, "it doesn't matter what he's achieved, he did comedy wrestling and he shouldn't be allowed in the business". It stops being grounded in results, and becomes entirely grounded in opinion.

I would say that Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks have done a much better job of articulating and presenting their take on what pro-wrestling should be than Jim Cornette has managed in decades. 

Seeing as I'm pretty sure he worked for Vince when Vince destroyed kayfabe and he very publicly trampled over kayfabe himself with his promo on the NWO, I just ignore Cornette now.

He's the high priest of the wrestling equivalent of grumpy old bastards who say any music produced after their 25th birthday is just noise. 

• Paid Members

There is something extremely "Galaxy Brain" about making a career out of shoot interviews, while spending every waking moment complaining about other people "killing the business".

I agree with @Accident Prone though that the snitch-taggers are far worse than him, because there's little if any actual thought process behind what they're doing. You can tell when someone starts using Cornette buzzwords in their criticism of wrestling - "outlaw mud show", or using his shitty nicknames for wrestlers - that they haven't an original thought in their head, they're just blindly parroting his opinions.

In a broader sense - I have friends who have written academic papers on the history of wrestling and the nature of kayfabe, I have been involved in long, detailed discussions of the changing nature of kayfabe and pro-wrestling, how wrestling relates to MMA and to broader pop culture, and how wrestling navigates those relationships. The question of "how wrestling works" is one that's always changing, so for anyone - Jim Cornette, Joey Ryan, Vince Russo or Vince McMahon - to say, definitively, "Wrestling has to be X" is extremely irritating, because it's ignorant of decades of history that have seen what wrestling "is" change time and time again. And of course it's just a happy coincidence that wrestling just happened to be in its perfect, correct form at around the time Jim Cornette started watching it and then first got involved in the business.