Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, mim731 said:

That would technically mean it's been meaningless since 1994 (Misawa-Kawada got 6 Stars), not that it devalues your point in fairness. It's an utterly subjective rating system based on one man's opinion and people lend it  far too much credence beyond that.

Exactly.

Dave Meltzer's tastes couldn't be further from mine. For instance, I remember regularly listening to his daily eyada show in the (very) late 90's at the height of the WWF's popularity, yet you could tell that he couldn't wait to get Stone Cold Steve Austin out of the way in order to move the discussion to Saukeraba or such shite.

I have no problem with having an opinion. But its, as you said, the weight that people give Meltzer's that annoys me.

Its obvious why it is though. The Observer built its reputation on providing news that simply wasn't out there otherwise. But with the rise of the internet, it meant that the news cycle was wrecked to such a degree that he had to adapt his product to providing more in-depth analysis and opinion.

• Paid Members

The star-ratings system has is place, just in the same way that movie ratings do. The downfall is when you take one man's opinion as gospel.

I gave the full five stars to The Invisible Man vs Invisible Stan but Meltzer, Cornette and other notable names probably hated it. I also gave the full five stars to a match that took place at a glorified backyard wrestling show (Tony Deppen vs Alez Zayne, in case you're wondering) and the above notable personalities would probably rate that extremely low too.

The point is that my opinions on what makes a four star, 5 star or 1 1/2 star match are very different, but I'll still take into account Meltzer's ratings as he's usually a pretty good margin on what to check out. He has very clear biases towards Charlotte Flair, AEW and Adam Cole, so I'll take a giant pinch of salt where necessary.

Where movie/music/gaming ratings succeed is with the likes of MetaCritic and Rotten Tomatoes, that aggregate several ratings into one score. There hasn't really been a wrestling version until now with the GRAPPL app, but that will take a while to build some steam and following. Still, it's baby steps and will be a healthier way to gauge what is actually good instead of getting mad online about one man's opinion.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Where movie/music/gaming ratings succeed is with the likes of MetaCritic and Rotten Tomatoes

Nobody with more than a nominal interest in cinema takes Rotten Tomatoes seriously and neither should they.

• Paid Members

It gets bombarded by loser trolls who want to downvote a movie for different agendas. See Captain Marvel or Black Panther getting mass downvotes by sexists/racists.

A similar thing happened with The Promise a few years back too, although that was less trolling and more politically motivated and took place on iMDB as opposed to Rotten Tomatoes.

There's also the issue that Rotten Tomatoes is just a bit shit in general.

1 hour ago, Undefeated Steak said:

HBK - Undertaker from WrestleMania 25 is vastly overrated. Wouldn't even put it in the top 50 matches, nevermind calling it the best ever like some people do.

Fancy backing that up with some argument? I think it’s a brilliant match and well in the conversation for best ever.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Fancy backing that up with some argument? I think it’s a brilliant match and well in the conversation for best ever.

It's not even the best match between HBK & Taker. Neither of those WM "epics" are.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It's not even the best match between HBK & Taker. Neither of those WM "epics" are.

I'm in both camps. I'd rank them as;

- Hell In A Cell, 1997

- 'Mania 25, 2009

- Royal Rumble - 1998

- 'Mania 26, 2010

- Ground Zero, 1997

Honorable mention; the ending sequence to the 2007 Rumble.

8 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Necrobutcher got a better match out of Samoa Joe than both Kobashi & Misawa.

Oh, that is a tasty take!

Edited by Accident Prone

Both Kobashi and Misawa matches were decent but nowhere near their best (you could argue that Misawa shouldn't have even been wrestling around then), Necrobutcher had an amazing carcrash that was unlike anything else.

Obviously a wrestling purist won't agree with my take but I stand by it.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Every now and then i get an epiphany along the lines of:

“Its all fake bullshit.

“Two (mainly) blokes rolling around in spandex pretending to hurt each other.

“What the fuck have I done wasting countless hours watching this shite?”

Then a few weeks later I catch a squash match from Wrestling Challenge in 1992 on Youtube and all is well again.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Necrobutcher got a better match out of Samoa Joe than both Kobashi & Misawa.

Necro Butcher did more than head drops and chops, that's why.

I do love that match as well, it's absolutely mental. I wasn't keen on whoever was screaming on commentary but CM Punk added a lot to it.