Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

39 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Original full mask Kane is obviously the best Kane. 

I'll forever believe X-Pac team Kane was best Kane. Great partnership, great combined pyro entrance, great angles (howling at the sky when Show and Taker destroyed Pac, the hug, his first words), plus getting in the shape of his life pre-Rumble 2000.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members
On 11/2/2019 at 3:37 PM, Benoitmark said:

Around 2005 I switched over to MMA, now I can't for the life of me stomach wrestling. I just see the obvious flaws in matches and mistakes they make that would get them destroyed in a real fight. These days it also seems like wrestlers realize most people know what a real fight looks like, so they have disregarded about 80% of trying to make a match look or feel real and things are a lot more choreographed.

To be honest I have never been able to get into MMA at all, and if I want to watch combat sports it will be a high profile Boxing match. UFC feels too much like wrestling with the fun taken out of it (which is probably an unpopular opinion in itself).

However, I do feel you're onto something in regards to having given up even trying to present a believable wrestling product. The modern style, while a great deal of people rave about the improved workrate and athleticism, looks even faker than it did back in the day when my Dad would painstakingly point out every time a wrestler stamped their foot on the mat etc.

I never liked Ring of Honor and the indy style when it developed during the early to mid 2000's, so I suppose I'm hardly likely to like it now its become the mainstream.

Everyone's tastes are different but I've long found it hard to put my finger on what exactly I find so off-putting about the current presentation. Randomly enough, an email to a podcast I listen to (The Lapsed Fan, so in fairness the angle is pretty obvious) was the nearest I've come, when it described the recent 'cinematic' matches at Wrestlemania.

It stated: "Wrestling has transitioned into something to be enjoyed ironically, the attitude of "this is fake" is the foundation for watching wrestling these days."

Edited by garynysmon

40 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

To be honest I have never been able to get into MMA at all, and if I want to combat sports it will be a high profile Boxing match. UFC feels too much like wrestling with the fun taken out of it (which is probably an unpopular opinion in itself).

That's why I was always into PRIDE FC over UFC back in the day, it had that pro wrestling showmanship along with imo better fights (a fair few were works tho).

• Paid Members

Anyone saying MMA provides everything you’d want from pro-wrestling, or that UFC does pro-wrestling better than WWE, in 2019/2020 is absolute madness. Seven to ten years ago? Sure. But now? Get real.

Ever since the Fertittas and Joe Silva cashed out it’s got steadily shitter, and it’s became clearer with each passing year that those three were the geniuses behind it all. They’re the ones who created the stars, built the feuds, told the great stories and booked the fun fights. Since the buy out, leaving only Dana to run the ship, it’s mostly turned into boxing. Just endless, boring shows filled with faceless fighters I don’t give a shit about. 

What stars have they really made since Conor and Ronda? What great feuds have there been? Can anyone even keep track of who the Champions are now every fucker on the roster is an Interim Champion?

Every now and then someone on Twitter will post an old clip from The Ultimate Fighter, crazy, fun silliness, Kimbo Slice or whatever, and I’ll nearly cry at how shit the sport is now. Those were the glory days.

For years all the hardcore MMA fans would cry that it was being booked like pro-wrestling, and how it was making a mockery of the sport or whatever. Well, go nuts, guys. All that fun stuff has slowly eroded away and you’ve been left with the dull dross you always wanted. Have fun.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Supremo said:

Well, go nuts, guys. All that fun stuff has slowly eroded away and you’ve been left with the dull dross you always wanted. Have fun.

Funny how this exactly fits wrestling too. Only ten years earlier.

• Paid Members

Very true. I wonder if the stopwatch-using, JUST LET THEM WRESTLE dickheads are having the time of their lives with this empty arena shit. Matches going through three or four commercial breaks. Bet they can’t believe their luck.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Well, go nuts, guys. All that fun stuff has slowly eroded away and you’ve been left with the dull dross you always wanted. Have fun.

You could just as easily use that to describe the chasing away of the casual wrestling fan over the past 20 years. 2002 Ring of Honor has become the mainstream.

On 4/30/2020 at 11:15 PM, garynysmon said:

The Hogan Bischoff era in TNA was great.

Yes it was. From that first Impact up until the Sting/Hogan stuff at Bound For Glory the following year it was a perfect, ditzy little car crash throwback for people like us who'd rather slog through the 90s again than watch a Takeover. There was clearly loads wrong with it, but I watched it nearly every Saturday night on Challenge and had a great time. It was decent up until they had those Impacts on the road where everything was blue and it at least had the feeling of being a legit - albeit small - TV product. 

The Main Event Mafia ruled, too, but I don't think that's an unpopular opinion on here. What a fantastic ensemble of blokes who looked great in suits. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK