Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

6 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

On the other side of the fence though, The Montreal Screwjob was indirectly responsible for killing Owen Hart and ending Bret's career, which in the grand scheme of things I would say weigh heavier than the positives. There's no chance Bret would have let Owen do the rafter thing if he was still there, and it's arguable Owen wouldn't have even been the Blue Blazer at that time if Bret was still there.

It's a neat little pocket of history but it's tough to dismiss the indirect implications it had.

Indirectly as well because after the screwjob, Bulldog and The Anvil left WWF out of protest against what had just happened with Bret. Vince let them buy themselves out of their contract which I think for Bulldog was a six-figure sum. Owen wanted to leave with them but he either couldn't afford the contract buy-out or was refused and forced to stay.

So if he'd left like he wanted to, his death would never had happened.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The supposed importance of the Undertaker's streak has never really made any sense.

If the Undertaker had remained undefeated for 21 years, then that's a proper streak. But this was essentially an accident of history and they didn't even notice until around WM 19 or so.

Remaining undefeated on one particular ppv, although very well marketed, isn't all that when you think about it.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Wrasslin said:

I think I’m right in saying that if he Shawn has worked Bret at Mania 13 then Taker was losing to someone? I can’t remember who.

Never heard that. Hard to work out who would either be high enough up the card or being pushed except maybe Austin or Sid and I would of thought I would of heard if it was Austin.

Faarooq maybe? Vader, Owen or Davey weren't being featured that prominently .

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Austin Vs. Bulldog, Taker Vs. Sid and Bret Vs. Shawn were the matches.

So it would of had to be Sid going over Taker. Best scenario would of been Shawn going over Bret then Taker. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Max Power said:

If Nash wasn't on his way out I could easily have seen him going over Undertaker at WM12 before moving on to Shawn.

Depends how far in advance they planned Mankind going over Taker as part of their run. It’s heavily diluted if he’s just lost to Diesel whereas losing to Taker in 1996 never hurt anyone.

5 hours ago, air_raid said:

Depends how far in advance they planned Mankind going over Taker as part of their run. It’s heavily diluted if he’s just lost to Diesel whereas losing to Taker in 1996 never hurt anyone.

That's very true.

Maybe it's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario that one.

On 6/11/2020 at 10:18 AM, garynysmon said:

Remaining undefeated on one particular ppv, although very well marketed, isn't all that when you think about it.

Especially when you consider it’s all a work. I was there when the streak ended. Grown adults were leaving the Super Dome in disgust. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

7 hours ago, LCJ said:

Especially when you consider it’s all a work. I was there when the streak ended. Grown adults were leaving the Super Dome in disgust. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

That shows you it actually DID mean something. It meant a lot. The story of the streak connected massively with fans in an era where that's not so common. Doesn't mean ending it was wrong, but the reaction was amazing to see. Real shock.