Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

• Paid Members

that's one of the more frustrating things about Cornette - if he was willing to engage with modern wrestling, and take the slightest criticism, rather than throw a wobbler and start throwing out death threats every time something doesn't look exactly like Memphis or Mid-South wrestling in 1978, heĀ wouldĀ still have a lot to offer. He's a great promo, and has a ton of passion. But all of that's worthless if you can't adapt or work with people.Ā 

His social media gimmick is absolutely toxic, for the people who hang off his every word as much as for the man himself, and any promoter would be mad to try and bring him in because it's only a matter of time before he pisses any opportunity he's given up the wall.Ā 

13 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

His social media gimmick is absolutely toxic, for the people who hang off his every word as much as for the man himself, and any promoter would be mad to try and bring him in because it's only a matter of time before he pisses any opportunity he's given up the wall.Ā 

Toxic is the perfect word, he can chat about pretty much anything and make sense but then within minutes he'll go on about wishing a disease on Kenny Omega or whoeverĀ 

Not a fan of Kenny Omega or any of the AEW VP's really but just make your point and move on to something else, though I suppose that doesn't get all the social media shares where its probably tagged with him going on a great rant

As a sort of aside, I thought it was embarrassing when he was at the Hall of Fame and said something along the lines of 'they've trusted me with a live mic!' as though they were worried in the slightest he was going to start making Savage / Stephanie jokes and say Hunter was still a prick for not really being sorry about the Curtain Call

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Pogue said:

As a sort of aside, I thought it was embarrassing when he was at the Hall of Fame and said something along the lines of 'they've trusted me with a live mic!' as though they were worried in the slightest he was going to start making Savage / Stephanie jokes and say Hunter was still a prick for not really being sorry about the Curtain Call

yeah, because it's all an act, and he knows that reputation is what keeps people giving a shit about him when his contributions to wrestling all but dried up more than a decade ago, outside of a blip of doing commentary for MLW and AEW.

He criticises AEW for the Khans having supported Trump, but appears at the WWE Hall of Fame, takes a WWE paycheckĀ to do Table for 3 and the Ruthless Aggression documentary, and who knows what else they've had him do on camera or otherwise, and worked for Billy Corgan, who's a Trump supporting, far-right InfoWars nutcase.

The Young Bucks, and others, have said that Cornette has bumped into them at conventions and basically said, "we've been working the hell out of them, we can make a ton of money together some day". It's all an act, and he'd sell out his principles for a chunk of change if someone booked him in an angle with Omega, Janela, the Bucks, Joey Ryan, or anyone else he spends every waking moment slagging off, except no one ever will because he's more trouble than he's worth, and he's afraid of flying so no major/national promotion can be bothered accommodating for him.

I take watching any of the clips of Cornettes clips on YouTube as a wrestling AlanĀ Partridge. He hasĀ probably drivenĀ to Bill Dundeeā€™s in his bare feet more than onceĀ 

Edited by Louch

• Paid Members

Corney the Carney. I just find him funny. Don't take his rants seriously. When it comes to wrestling small girls and the invisible man I agree with him. When he talks about Joey Ryan I don't disagree with him. When he makes jokes about Ethiopians he is a prize prick

• Paid Members

I don't mind the Invisible Man stuff and gimmicky matches like that - been in a couple myself. With the right audience, they pop the crowd and they're great fun to do. It's not "killing the business" or any shit like that because everyone knows it's all pretend, and it's only done in companies that rely heavily on comedy anyway - it's not being done in WWE, or the NWA, or companies that are presenting what they do as more legitimate, so what's the harm?

Cornette doesn't have a leg to stand on in terms of historical reference or it "killing the business" anyway, as Martin Karadagian was fighting Invisible Men in Argentina in the '70s and was selling out football stadiums at that time.Ā 

I agree on Joey Ryan in general, though, and I hate that Joey Ryan has become the byword for comedy wrestling, and has appointed himself the arbiter of taste in comedy, intergender, and what is "acceptable" in wrestling despite having one joke spotĀ that hasn't been funny for years, that's almost invariably predicated on "sexual assault is funny", and that he always comes off as disingenuous and artificial, like a comedy wrestler built by committee. It's much, much easier to argue in defence of comedy wrestling, or madcap stuff in wrestling, when Joey Ryan isn't being presented as the face of it.Ā 

Ryan's whole routine is basically indie/mental Japanese promotion level anyway and he's unlikely to ever do "dick flips" in a major promotion. Correct me if I'm wrong but apparently even AEW wanted nothing to do with him.

Cornette dancing around saying anything really negative about New Jack on that Dark Side of the Ring episode pretty much confirms that he's full of shit. If some no name indie guy or someone he usually rants about had done the shit New Jack has done, Cornette would burst a blood vessel for his cultists amusement.

He also seems to think that rubbing shit under your pits and rubbing it in wrestlers faces is amusing. He's a fucking weirdo like many in the business from his era.

I quite like Cornette. I find his podcast entertaining and I mostly agree with his views. He doesn't like what I see as farce parody wrestling and neither do I.Ā 

That being said I do think he's very crass and narrow minded, and I realise that's both the appeal and turn off for some people.Ā 

Most of the controversial shit he's been called out for recently I couldn't give a shit about and think most people pretend to be offended cause they don't like him. Maybe I'm wrong. He has said some stuff on his podcast that I expected to cause an uproar but nothing has come of it.Ā 

What I will say is that he's great as an on screen personality, and I think people forget that because they hate him or think he's a shit booker. He was really good commentating on the first run of NWA shows.Ā 

He is great though when he's talking about the history of wrestling and his experiences in the business and is decent enough when he's actually being level headed about something.

No doubt he knows his shit.

TheĀ Jim Cornette is really progressive by Wrestling standardsĀ defense never fail to amuse me though.

3 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Ryan's whole routine is basically indie/mental Japanese promotion level anyway and he's unlikely to ever do "dick flips" in a major promotion. Correct me if I'm wrong but apparently even AEW wanted nothing to do with him.

Ā 

Don't know why, or how long it'll last, but he's dropped the gimick in TNA/IMPACT. Joseph P. Ryan (or something like that) is his new persona.