Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I was just about to post if anyone else finds the termĀ "WWE" a bit awkward and doesn't slip off the tongue likeĀ "WWF" did.

I keep thinking i'll get used to it, but after 20 years? Fucking hell.

Goes to show just how little impact they have had on popular culture in the last 18 years that so many non-wrestling fans still use 'WWF wrestling' as a point of reference.

I'm certain that I've heard football commentators on Sky Sports use 'WWF' as recently as this year when describing a tussle between players, and that's coming from employees of the same network that broadcast WWF/E for thirty years.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Goes to show just how little impact they have had on popular culture in the last 18 years that so many non-wrestling fans still use 'WWF wrestling' as a point of reference.

I'm certain that I've heard football commentators on Sky Sports use 'WWF' as recently as this year when describing a tussle between players, and that's coming from employees of the same network that broadcast WWF/E for thirty years.

To be honest, that's why I have to laugh when someone even insinuates that wrestling's popularity right now is anywhere near its zenith.Ā 

You can argue that WWE's social media reach and pure accessibility is more expansive than ever, but that's not the same thing at all.

Who was the last WWE wrestler to appear on a mainstream TV show over here? You couldn't move in the early 90's for wrestlers popping up on kids TV shows etc. But I really don't think that mostĀ non-fans could name three active full-time wrestlers right now.Ā 

9 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

There was that brief spell whenĀ they were WWFE but realised pretty soon that was never going to work and catch on.

Wasn't WWFE the name of the parent company of WWF? It was renamed that fromĀ Titan Sports Inc. in the late '90s then changed to just WWE along with the name change of the fed.

I remember a Shawn Michaels promo where he said "WWF, sorry WWF EEEEEEEEEE" in a snarky way from around the time of the S Club 7 panda wrestling shirts so it may have been a bit up in the air where even they didn't know what direction to go in.

2 hours ago, lanky316 said:

There was that brief spell whenĀ they were WWFE but realised pretty soon that was never going to work and catch on.

Seem to remember the Sky guide listing it as WWFE for a while before the official change, but they still called it WWF on air didnā€™t they?

7 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Wasn't WWFE the name of the parent company of WWF? It was renamed that fromĀ Titan Sports Inc. in the late '90s then changed to just WWE along with the name change of the fed.

Here's an unpopular opinion - wrestling is a shit name/term to refer to what pro-wrestling has evolved into. Something like Titan Sports might actually be better. Had i grown up on '80s and '90s WWF being called 'Titan Sports' instead, my infant brain would have happily accepted that into my world and imagination alongside things like X-Men and Gladiators no questions asked. In general though, in this dayĀ the performance art of professional wrestling should have it's own completely unique name/term that entirelyĀ separates it from legitimate combat sports.

Ā 

Oh and 2005 and early 2006 WWE was indeed banging. For all the reasons mentioned. Raw anyway. Up until the DX bollocks shat on everything.

Edited by GeronimoJacksBeard

6 hours ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

In general though, in this dayĀ the performance art of professional wrestling should have it's own completely unique name/term that entirelyĀ separates it from legitimate combat sports.

Do you mean "professional wrestling"?

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Here's an unpopular opinion - wrestling is a shit name/term to refer to what pro-wrestling has evolved into.

To be honest, the emphasis on the in-ring action nowadays is probably closer to that ofĀ pre-1970'sĀ than the general emphasis of the market leader during theĀ 80's and 90's of hulking big men in pretty non athletic contests but compelling characters and storylines.

Obviously all the flippy stuff is new though.