Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

37 minutes ago, AshC said:

Wrestling ended at WrestleMania 17 and everything since has been some kind of zombie wrestling.

Here's a potentially unpopular opinion for you in response to this, WWE in 2005 and 2006 were the best years they've had since 2001. 

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I mean, this is pretty much how the wider world thinks of wrestling. Hell of a lot of people don’t know it’s not called WWF anymore and that happened 18 years ago.

In four years, it'll have been WWE longer than it was the WWF.

Fuck, that's just made me feel ancient.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Chris B said:

In four years, it'll have been WWE longer than it was the WWF.

Fuck, that's just made me feel ancient.

I was just about to post if anyone else finds the term "WWE" a bit awkward and doesn't slip off the tongue like "WWF" did.

I keep thinking i'll get used to it, but after 20 years? Fucking hell.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Here's a potentially unpopular opinion for you in response to this, WWE in 2005 and 2006 were the best years they've had since 2001. 

05 I'd not argue but 06 was one of the worst before I gave up around mania 30. That foley flair feud, batista & booker stinking up the joint and the DX stuff was all painful to sit through.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

I'm semi-with you on this one, if we're ignoring Smackdown (and I definitely am!). Raw was amazing from the end of Evolution up until around the DX reunion.

2 hours ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

The original post isn't an unpopular opinion whatsoever. It's still the prevailing - I'm sorry - zeitgeist amongst a lot of the wider audience. The idea that 2005 and 2006 were the best years since then is definitely somewhat overlooked, though. The business actually felt like it was proper heating up in those years. We chuckle at their misfortunes now but Impact going to Spike and WWE adding a third brand were big deals. Batista and Cena were popping with better hope than anything in a long time. I started watching Raw live on Sky every Monday in 2005 just because it seemed mental. The lead in to One Night Stand, Hardy shouting "ROH!", Matt Striker Vs. Kurt Angle, Cena drafted, the USA Network homecoming. They were on fire. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

The original post isn't an unpopular opinion whatsoever. It's still the prevailing - I'm sorry - zeitgeist amongst a lot of the wider audience. The idea that 2005 and 2006 were the best years since then is definitely somewhat overlooked, though. The business actually felt like it was proper heating up in those years. We chuckle at their misfortunes now but Impact going to Spike and WWE adding a third brand were big deals. Batista and Cena were popping with better hope than anything in a long time. I started watching Raw live on Sky every Monday in 2005 just because it seemed mental. The lead in to One Night Stand, Hardy shouting "ROH!", Matt Striker Vs. Kurt Angle, Cena drafted, the USA Network homecoming. They were on fire. 

Speak for yourself!

But your point about live episodes of Raw starting over here in 2005 reminds me of how Sky/WWE always seemed to be behind the popularity curve. Took them a good two years before they started showing Raw at all, and does anyone remember all the fuss about Sky not showing Sunday Night Heat? It eventually popped up on Channel 4 watered down and edited to bits. Shite.

Same with Raw, I can only imagine how many kids would be turning up knackered to school on Tuesdays between 1998-2000. By 2005 interest was already rapidly declining and no-one was talking about wrestling in the way there were.

21 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Speak for yourself!

But your point about live episodes of Raw starting over here in 2005 reminds me of how Sky/WWE always seemed to be behind the popularity curve. Took them a good two years before they started showing Raw at all, and does anyone remember all the fuss about Sky not showing Sunday Night Heat? It eventually popped up on Channel 4 watered down and edited to bits. Shite.

Same with Raw, I can only imagine how many kids would be turning up knackered to school on Tuesdays between 1998-2000. By 2005 interest was already rapidly declining and no-one was talking about wrestling in the way there were.

I didn't mean to say they only started showing it live in 2005, only I started watching live then. Is that a fact? It would make sense with my memories of it, to be honest. Surely I would have watched it live before then. But it's never something I've stopped to consider. I knew it wasn't live on Sky slap bang in the Attitude Era but I always assumed it was from about 2000 on. 

There's probably a decent dedicated thread solely based on live memories, but maybe the forum's shared them to death. I still base PPV quality on how remembered they were in school the next day. That brought a whole heap of shit with it, if you weren't allowed stay up to watch them all. Took me awhile to convince my folks to let me do that. By that point Shamrock had jumped off the hooks at more than one Backlash, if morning after rumours serve me right. Shamrock always returned, for some reason. And X-Seven had two separate screens on either end of the stadium that spat out the wrestlers.  

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, King Coconut said:

The attitude era was fine as it was. We really don't need to fantasy retcon it.

That would be the Popular Opinions thread.

16 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I was just about to post if anyone else finds the term "WWE" a bit awkward and doesn't slip off the tongue like "WWF" did.

I keep thinking i'll get used to it, but after 20 years? Fucking hell.

It's awkward because it's still referred to as "the WWE", which makes no sense. The World Wrestling Entertainment. On screen they should have ditched saying "the" eventually, once they got used to it.

Count me in as another who thought 2005 was a great year in WWE. There was the Rockers reunion as well!

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Mr.Showtime said:

It's awkward because it's still referred to as "the WWE", which makes no sense. 

Don't let Bret hear you say that.

I suppose for anyone who became a fan after 2002 its "WWF" that sounds strange if anything. But when something is such an engrained part of your childhood, I suppose its hard to dislodge.

• Paid Members

2005 was a very good year for WWE, and with what TNA, ROH and Noah turned out, it could easily be my favourite year for wrestling in general since 1997 and until now.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Yup. Up there with “PIN number” for me.

Which people use at an “ATM machine.”