Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Pinc said:

Phantom Menace is the best prequel though.

After loving it at the time because IT WAS NEW STAR WARS then going off it, I've come round to Phantom Menace. I think its good bits are better than the good bits in the other prequels and its bad bits aren't as cringeworthy. The podrace and Duel Of The Fates alone make it worth a viewing, whereas I struggle to think of anything I like now about Attack Of The Clones. Even the bit I liked most at the time - AEW Yoda - I've had a complete turn on. People complain about Last Jedi Luke not being Luke - well that little green spot-monkey flying around Dooku is not the Yoda I know and love.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I recently rewatched the prequels and they are even worse than I remembered. Outside of Duel of Fates all the lightsabre fights are rubbish, the dialogue and acting (outside Palpatine) is just so bad, the CG is appalling, and huge chunks of the plot are just a mess and make little sense. The Phantom Menace story is mostly based around taxes. I still like them though, just because I love Star Wars so much.

The Rey/Kylo/Luke stuff in The Last Jedi is some of the best stuff in any Star Wars. It's an absolutely gorgeous film too. Probably the best shot film in the series. The Finn/Poe stuff sucks though. Overall, it's a very good Star Wars movie and the depiction of Luke and his ending is absolutely spot on for the character. 

I watched Phantom Menace today to start my Skywalker Saga binge in the run up to IX. It's a decent film and the second best of the prequels (Revenge of the Sith gets that honour).

An enjoyable political storyline, the best soundtrack of the prequels, the best lightsaber duel and a podrace (which, admittedly, I hated on first viewing) it holds up well... Poor CGI aside. 

It sets things up nicely and takes a different route from the band of strangers working together narrative of the preceding trilogies. That, and Brian fucking Blessed mean that history should be kinder than it has been to the one that started it all... Sort of?